SCL: Stumbled coming out of the gate or simply fallen on it's face?

Noctem

Explorer
When you purchase a game, or other piece of art, and find yourself disappointed in the quality, you do not deserve a refund. That is part of the risk of purchase, and to badger a company for a refund is poor form (customer service people hate you).

If you purchase a movie (DVD, Blu-Ray, streaming, or at the theater) and decide it was a crappy movie, is the retailer going to give you a refund? No. Nor should they.

If you purchase a novel, read it part way, and decide it's terrible, will the bookstore give you a refund? Nope.

Likewise when you purchase a computer game, and decide it's lousy, do you deserve a refund? No.

Now if the game claims it works on your device, but it doesn't, that's refund-worthy. Or if they game truly is broken, incomplete, or not-as-advertised, those are refund worthy situations. But SCL is not broken, incomplete, or not-as-advertised. A bunch of folks are unhappy with the quality of the game and it's adventure creation tools, but that's not the same thing.

It sucks to drop $40-60 on a new game only to find it's crap-ware. But such is life. This probably wasn't the first disappointing game you've purchased, and it certainly won't be the last.

I'm sorry but you're incorrect on a number of points in the post above. However, I'm not interested in having a debate over it since what you believe is basically irrelevant to my situation. I'll be getting a refund and will move on :) I suggest you do the same.

And btw colonial marines, arkham knight, sim city, etc.. all say hello.

EDIT: After reading my response I realized that it was curt. But here's the rub, you decided to quote me and basically tell me that I wasn't entitled to a refund because reasons and that it was "poor form" to ask for one even though hundreds if not thousands of others are doing so. You also stated that I intended to badger a company and that customer service people hated me. Basically, you turned the discussion into a personal one by making ad hominem statements about someone you have never met in your life and know basically nothing about. And all of this of course after ignoring the OP, the mass reviews everywhere, etc.. that point out the same things. I think what I meant to say with my first reply was much more simple: Go :):):):) yourself.

Last edited:

Noctem

Explorer
I'm sorry but I felt it needed to be said. I won't use profanity again though since it's taboo on this forum. Thank you for the warning.

Dargrimm

First Post
When you purchase a game, or other piece of art, and find yourself disappointed in the quality, you do not deserve a refund. That is part of the risk of purchase, and to badger a company for a refund is poor form (customer service people hate you).

If you purchase a movie (DVD, Blu-Ray, streaming, or at the theater) and decide it was a crappy movie, is the retailer going to give you a refund? No. Nor should they.

If you purchase a novel, read it part way, and decide it's terrible, will the bookstore give you a refund? Nope.

Likewise when you purchase a computer game, and decide it's lousy, do you deserve a refund? No.

Now if the game claims it works on your device, but it doesn't, that's refund-worthy. Or if they game truly is broken, incomplete, or not-as-advertised, those are refund worthy situations. But SCL is not broken, incomplete, or not-as-advertised. A bunch of folks are unhappy with the quality of the game and it's adventure creation tools, but that's not the same thing.

It sucks to drop $40-60 on a new game only to find it's crap-ware. But such is life. This probably wasn't the first disappointing game you've purchased, and it certainly won't be the last.

If you buy a game and find it is not of your liking, a refund shouldn't be requested, so I agree with you in many points there, but I disagree with others. Specially considering that the game it is *NOT* as advertised. That alone deserves a refund for misleading marketing.

Which exactly what made me request a refund (which was granted).

Sacrosanct

Legend
If you buy a game and find it is not of your liking, a refund shouldn't be requested, so I agree with you in many points there, but I disagree with others. Specially considering that the game it is *NOT* as advertised. That alone deserves a refund for misleading marketing.

Which exactly what made me request a refund (which was granted).

Same here. Actually, the biggest reason I wanted (and got) a refund was because the game was unplayable. It kept crashing, and I couldn't progress past the first introductory quest in the single player mode. The fact that the game was a lot more limited and I expected, and the other issues I mentioned earlier, just reinforced my request for a refund.

And FWIW, this is the first game I've ever requested a refund on. It simply was not the game they sold it as.

Okay, I know you bowed out, but just a quick clarification: most movie theaters do have a refund window. If you leave within a certain window they will refund you. Usually 10-20 minutes. That's just policy. But if you get the managers involved and make a fuss, they might extend that or give you a comped movie admission (which, really, costs them nothing and just gets you to buy more popcorn).

Similarly, Steam has a set refund policy based on time played. But you can appeal. Because they can track that.

Never tried it with my cable company, but they could probably track if I finished a rental or not. If you're willing to wait on hold and argue enough, you could probably get an account credit, even if just a partial credit.

Because unlike other media like a book or a DVD, you can track if you actually played the content or just said finished things and said you didn't like it. If you stopped partway it can be confirmed. Customer service people hate it, but they're often allowed to make compromises to shut you up while also keeping you as a customer.

Emphasis added.
If you read his post he actually says some of the time was spent trying to get the game to run despite bugs and crashes. Which is an issue. I suffered a lot of crashes and hard locks from the game myself, and it did weird things with my mouse 2-3 times that pretty much left me unable to interact with menues and trapped in the middle character creation.

And how you define "broken" in terms of video games might very well apply, in that the game is not well optimized and can run very, very poorly on otherwise good systems. Based on how my system was burning through resources, you'd think I was running a AAA shooter game (or Arkham Knight). It could do horrible things to the lifespan of your video card.

Dire Bare

Legend
Okay, I know you bowed out, but just a quick clarification: most movie theaters do have a refund window. If you leave within a certain window they will refund you. Usually 10-20 minutes. That's just policy. But if you get the managers involved and make a fuss, they might extend that or give you a comped movie admission (which, really, costs them nothing and just gets you to buy more popcorn).

Similarly, Steam has a set refund policy based on time played. But you can appeal. Because they can track that.

Never tried it with my cable company, but they could probably track if I finished a rental or not. If you're willing to wait on hold and argue enough, you could probably get an account credit, even if just a partial credit.

Because unlike other media like a book or a DVD, you can track if you actually played the content or just said finished things and said you didn't like it. If you stopped partway it can be confirmed. Customer service people hate it, but they're often allowed to make compromises to shut you up while also keeping you as a customer.

Yes, I am done with this conversation.

Soooo . . . .

Without taking the time to go back and look at my own comment (sooo lazy), of course a company can decide to offer refunds if you have consumed a piece of art and decided, "You know what? I really didn't like that."

But should they do so? IMO, no they shouldn't. You (the colloquial "you") don't deserve one. Art is subjective, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's broke.

But many companies will offer you a refund anyway if you complain, because 1) they don't agree with my opinion, 2) they want you to go away and stop making loud noises, and/or 3) they want to retain your business and continue getting your money, even if they have to take an unfair hit to do so.

Ages ago, I used to work for DirecTV. And people would call in all the time screaming for refunds on Pay-Per-View movies for all sorts of reasons, including, "That movie sucked!". Policy was to say, "No." If you put the customer on hold and asked a supervisor, they would remind you of the policy. And then if you transferred the angry, screaming customer to your supervisor, they would of course grant the refund. Perhaps it is these traumatic memories to have such a strong opinion on whether "you" deserve a refund for not liking a piece of artwork.

If you read his post he actually says some of the time was spent trying to get the game to run despite bugs and crashes. Which is an issue. I suffered a lot of crashes and hard locks from the game myself, and it did weird things with my mouse 2-3 times that pretty much left me unable to interact with menues and trapped in the middle character creation.

And how you define "broken" in terms of video games might very well apply, in that the game is not well optimized and can run very, very poorly on otherwise good systems. Based on how my system was burning through resources, you'd think I was running a AAA shooter game (or Arkham Knight). It could do horrible things to the lifespan of your video card.

Again, with being too lazy to go back and read my own comment or the one I was responding to . . . certainly, if you purchase a video game and it starts doing strange and unnerving things to your computer systems, possibly involving strange whirring noises, intense heat, smoke and/or steam, and maybe some strange burnt chemical smells . . . you should uninstall that bad boy and ask for a refund.

Or, use the excuse to go buy a new maxed out rig.

Last edited:

Remove ads