SCL: Stumbled coming out of the gate or simply fallen on it's face?

darjr

I crit!
Oh one of their video characters is on the cover of SCAG

Somehow it makes clear that scags and this game two facets of a wotc release. I knew that but it didn't really sink in till now.

So a friend of mine got a free gift key as a mea-culpa-slash-attempt-to-expand thing. He gave it to me, and it's so far failed to catch my interest.

But if you see install numbers going up, this is likely why. They're literally giving it away already.

I actually wondered at the spikes in users on a few days. That makes a lot of sense.
(edit - it's worth noting that while lllydia Maethellyn is from SCL, the tiefling Makos is from Neverwinter. So they tied into both.)

Oh one of their video characters is on the cover of SCAG

Somehow it makes clear that scags and this game two facets of a wotc release. I knew that but it didn't really sink in till now.
Which is very likely why we got this book now rather than the earlier Adventurer's Handbook or a different splatbook. They really wanted to synergize releases.

Last edited:

Corpsetaker

First Post
When you compare this to other games, the flat number of owners is pretty remarkable. And unfortunate.
I actually feel kinda sorry for N-Space at this point...

I don't feel sorry for them at all because they tried to pass this steaming pile of poo off as a great game that held true to the 5th edition ruleset and was basically an updated version of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

They tried to deceive the public and got burned for it. They deserve it.

I don't feel sorry for them at all because they tried to pass this steaming pile of poo off as a great game that held true to the 5th edition ruleset and was basically an updated version of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

No one sets out to make a bad game. They likely wanted this to be good, or thought people would like this. And there's likely a whole lot of people in the company who had nothing to do with the marketing end who will be hurt by this.

darjr

I crit!
Yea, I feel bad for them. There are folks who worked on Balders gate and some very enthusiastic table top gamers on their payroll. I wonder what happened? I'd love to know some details. It seemed so great, E3 was gushing over them, so was Nerdist, I can't reconcile what those 'reviews' said with what was released.

Obryn

Hero
No one sets out to make a bad game. They likely wanted this to be good, or thought people would like this. And there's likely a whole lot of people in the company who had nothing to do with the marketing end who will be hurt by this.
Not to mention a diminishing chance we'll ever see a better game. I mean, this one making no money is an argument against a bigger budget.

Daern

Explorer
I wanted to pick this game up. I read the reviews specifically stating it was not like Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. I loved both of those games. I was hoping for a similar experience. I didn't want to play an ARPG with constant monsters and auto-generated tile sets and populations. I wanted more of a story and an interesting static world. I also was turned off by the game engine not using the 5E rules. If I wanted a fantasy ARPG, I'd play Diablo is my feeling.

The story version of the game is exactly this. It may not be the best story in the world, but its not at all random.

freeAgent

Explorer

I have to agree. I really feel deceived about the game. They claimed the Baldur's Gate lineage, but have no lived up to it at all. They said that the game would be similar to pen & paper D&D, but it isn't similar to it at all beyond the surface. I'm not happy with the game at all. I was one of the poor fools who purchased the GM pack of 5 copies and was planning to play co-op, but the game isn't interesting enough for me to even attempt it. I gave copies to my friends and they also aren't playing it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases