• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

scoop: 4e gamma world

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Did you even read my goddamn post? Seriously. Here, let me help you. I'll post the sentance that came right before what you quoted. In fact, I'll make it extra large, since apparently it's so easy to miss.

The Professor will be unavailable for comment for the next three days.

Dire Bare

Legend
Did you even read my goddamn post? Seriously. Here, let me help you. I'll post the sentance that came right before what you quoted. In fact, I'll make it extra large, since apparently it's so easy to miss.

There. Is that easier to read?
[/SIZE]

Yes, I read your post. The whole thing. Your second post wasn't easier to read, just more annoying. Doesn't change my comments any.

It's cool if you don't care for the idea of purchasing random boosters for an RPG, you're obviously not alone. But I take exception to the idea that this ruins the game or that you represent any sort of majority of fans on the issue.

lin_fusan

First Post
I'm mainly curious as to the reasoning behind the randomness mechanic.

Random mutations in Gamma World are part of the game (as well as horrific death due to radiation), but it feels odd that they are doing a per day and per encounter style of randomness.

In the older versions, I liked building a hybrid mold/wolf dual brain mental blast armored character, but if I lose my dual brain and mental blast every day/encounter, I would be a little annoyed.

On the other hand, I'd love a Wild Mage deck :D, but that is for a specific character concept as opposed to a whole game mechanic.

I guess I will have to wait for more design excerpts before getting more or less huffy about this game. :)

Scribble

First Post
In the older versions, I liked building a hybrid mold/wolf dual brain mental blast armored character, but if I lose my dual brain and mental blast every day/encounter, I would be a little annoyed.

From some of the leaks I've read it seems not everything is a daily regen.. Some stuff sticks.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Well, for me the question would be: does every character have to have those constantly mutating mutations?

If the answer is yes, I don't think I'd be interested. I don't necessarily mind playing a wild mage from time to time, but if everyone always played a wild mage that would get old pretty soon.

To the best of my knowledge, that is not the case. (Note, I have not playtested, played or seen people play. I am going based on discussions with people who have, so I may be misinterpreting things.) I believe Trevor's character had a specific mutation/power that caused a random mutation at the beginning of each combat.

I would be surprised if WotC made it so that each character had that mechanic. I rather suspect that for those people who like that idea, there will be the option of choosing it, while for those that prefer more stable mutations, that option will be there as well.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
To the best of my knowledge, that is not the case. (Note, I have not playtested, played or seen people play. I am going based on discussions with people who have, so I may be misinterpreting things.) I believe Trevor's character had a specific mutation/power that caused a random mutation at the beginning of each combat.

I would be surprised if WotC made it so that each character had that mechanic. I rather suspect that for those people who like that idea, there will be the option of choosing it, while for those that prefer more stable mutations, that option will be there as well.
If there is such an option then I will definitely buy the game and house rule out the cards.

What I'd like to know is... how much "fluff" is included in the game? Is there an overview of the Gamma World setting? Or is GW only going to be a game of rules?

Now, I'm not looking for a lot of fluff but I'd like some background material.

Last edited:

lin_fusan

First Post

With such investment and necessary buy-in for a deck mechanic, it would appear that it would have to be a major aspect of the game. (Like how there wouldn't be a deck of a Deck of Many Things included with the DMG because the cost to produce would be too much for a small aspect of the game.)

I was wondering, didn't White Wolf do something similar with their 1st edition Changling: The Dreaming game with powers cards?

Scribble

First Post
From what I saw it looked more like the daily/encounter changing mutations were sort of the default, but you could do stuff to get them to stick and be a permanent thing.

The tech is handled in a similar way... Like a rusty laser pistol good for 3 shots.

Also it seems the game is supposed to be kind of tongue in cheek B-Movie style. If you look at it that way, constantly changing mutations fits in well.

If you're looking for ultra serious post apocalyptic gaming... GW probably ain't it. :p

Last edited:

lin_fusan

First Post
I wonder if this version will have those "figuring out tech" charts? the concepts appears to be the opposite of 4ed's philosophy, but I've always liked the idea that the characters can't tell that the "clam-like creature that fits in the palm of your hand" is really a cell phone!

mudbunny

Community Supporter
If there is such an option then I will definitely buy the game and house rule out the cards.

What I'd like to know is... how much "fluff" is included in the game? Is there an overview of the Gamma World setting? Or is GW only going to be a game of rules?

Now, I'm not looking for a lot of fluff but I'd like some background material.

Those who played it at DDXP were only given a brief intro into the world, a bit of explanation as to why their mutations worked the way they did, and that is it. It is currently unknown ow much fluff will make its way into the final product. I expect that as we get closer, there will be sneak previews, teasers, etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads