• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

scoop: 4e gamma world

davethegame

Explorer
To the best of my knowledge, that is not the case. (Note, I have not playtested, played or seen people play. I am going based on discussions with people who have, so I may be misinterpreting things.) I believe Trevor's character had a specific mutation/power that caused a random mutation at the beginning of each combat.

I would be surprised if WotC made it so that each character had that mechanic. I rather suspect that for those people who like that idea, there will be the option of choosing it, while for those that prefer more stable mutations, that option will be there as well.

I was in the game that Trevor was in, and we all had the same mutation rules. Most of your character persists all the time except for one random mutation. They seemed pretty core to the game, so I would be surprised if they were just an option, although they would be really, really easy to house rule out.

I should also point out this was still an early playtest and probably the first time the public in any way has seen it, so a lot could still change as they playtest more.

I should also also point out that I had an absolute blast playing it, and it went from a "maybe buy" to "must buy" from one playtest. The booster packs are so non-essential to the game that it doesn't bug me in the slightest, but it did cause me to make a post on my site about the idea.

Edit: I take it back, slightly. There was one character that used tech instead of mutations, but those rules weren't ready for prime time yet, so we don't know how those will work.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
I was in the game that Trevor was in, and we all had the same mutation rules. Most of your character persists all the time except for one random mutation. They seemed pretty core to the game, so I would be surprised if they were just an option, although they would be really, really easy to house rule out.

I should also point out this was still an early playtest and probably the first time the public in any way has seen it, so a lot could still change as they playtest more.

This is the same feeling I am getting from the feedback and discussion around the 'net. I am guessing that each PC might have a regular changing mutation and then a bunch of static stuff.

I should also point out that I had an absolute blast playing it, and it went from a "maybe buy" to "must buy" from one playtest. The booster packs are so non-essential to the game that it doesn't bug me in the slightest, but it did cause me to make a post on my site about the idea.
This is good to know. I've been sitting on "maybe buy", but if it's as fun as you say, it could easily go "must buy".

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Well, for me the question would be: does every character have to have those constantly mutating mutations?

If the answer is yes, I don't think I'd be interested. I don't necessarily mind playing a wild mage from time to time, but if everyone always played a wild mage that would get old pretty soon.
I'm certainly not going to argue with that.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
One thing that's bothering me, besides my general dislike of collectible elements in RPG is the fact that it will be rather difficult to trade the cards. I haven't collected Magic in many years, but if I should start again, I can just go to my game shop and find a lot of people to trade with, but if I end up buying GW, I'll be likely to be the only one I know that has it...

catsclaw227

First Post
Yea, that's a good point.

I am not going to look at it as "collectible", but instead just randomized booster packs of new mutations and such. I don't intend to "collect" them just for the sake of it.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
The more I think about it, the more odd the "collectible" card aspect seems to me. Randomized boosters I can understand (at least from a biz perspective), but is making them "collectible" really a viable goal?

It would make more sense to me if the cards could be collected independent of the game, perhaps usable to play a more standard CCG in the GW setting, as well as being in usable in the GW rpg. Then the cards would have a dual purpose-- and broader appeal.

(Umm, did that make sense?)

Scribble

First Post
The more I think about it, the more odd the "collectible" card aspect seems to me. Randomized boosters I can understand (at least from a biz perspective), but is making them "collectible" really a viable goal?

It would make more sense to me if the cards could be collected independent of the game, perhaps usable to play a more standard CCG in the GW setting, as well as being in usable in the GW rpg. Then the cards would have a dual purpose-- and broader appeal.

(Umm, did that make sense?)

I'm sure they'll be traded the same way all things are traded... In school lunch rooms, at comic/game stores at conventions, on the internet, and with friends.

Aside from that... not really sure how the card element will work. I wonder if it might be possible for the DM to sort of customize the deck?

Like for instance if you want more say, road signs to show up in the tech section... do you keep multiple copies of the road sign card in the deck?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm sure they'll be traded the same way all things are traded... In school lunch rooms, at comic/game stores at conventions, on the internet, and with friends.

But those require a wide player base. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm skeptical that you'll be able to meet all that many GW players around.

Aside from that... not really sure how the card element will work. I wonder if it might be possible for the DM to sort of customize the deck?

Like for instance if you want more say, road signs to show up in the tech section... do you keep multiple copies of the road sign card in the deck?
Interesting question. From what we know, the whole purpose of the player deck is customization, but will the GM be able to do something similar?

Remove ads