D&D 5E Seeking Archtypes & Skills for 5e

AslanC

Explorer
Hey there guys,

So my group and I had a converastion about D&D and 5e in specific (we are more 2e fans in the long run, but like a lot of what 5e has to offer in the end) but the big questions my players had were;

1] Are there more archtypes than the limited ones presented?

2] Is there an alternate Skill system that allows for improvement as characters level?

So I thought I would reach out to you all to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

mellored

Legend
1: If you mean in the basic rules, yes. There are ones in the Players Handbook, as well as the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are also several playtest unearthed arcana, and many homebrews on the dmsguild

2: Skills do improve with character level. Going from +2 to +6 (your proficiency bonus). Alternatively, +1d4 to +1d12.

AslanC

Explorer
1: If you mean in the basic rules, yes. There are ones in the Players Handbook, as well as the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. There are also several playtest unearthed arcana, and many homebrews on the dmsguild

I am ALWAYS hesitant to buy Realms product, I am just not a fan. :(

2: Skills do improve with character level. Going from +2 to +6 (your proficiency bonus). Alternatively, +1d4 to +1d12.

Sorry I misworded that, I mean GET new skills as they go up in levels, something that shows they are learning new stuff as they go.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hathorym

Explorer
I mean GET new skills as they go up in levels, something that shows they are learning new stuff as they go.
Check out page 187 of the Player's Handbook. You can use those training rules to learn languages and tools as long as you have time and money.

Tony Vargas

Legend
5e fairly consistently uses 'Archetype' to refer to fighter & rogue sub-classes. Yeah, there are more of those. Some in various UA articles, and a few in "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" (SCAG).

2] Is there an alternate Skill system
Not any official one I'm aware of...
that allows for improvement as characters level?
Skills allow you to add your Proficiency bonus to checks, and your Proficiency bonus improves from +2 through +6 as you level. The Rogue & Bard also get Expertise, which doubles proficiency with certain skills, and there are feats that can make you better at skills or grant you additional ones. So you can definitely improve as you level.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey there guys,

So my group and I had a converastion about D&D and 5e in specific (we are more 2e fans in the long run, but like a lot of what 5e has to offer in the end) but the big questions my players had were;

Right now there are two sources for additional archetypes.

1. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

2. Unearthed Arcana playtest material, which [MENTION=6675621]aeron[/MENTION]Drake compiled into a beautiful PDF here.

2] Is there an alternate Skill system that allows for improvement (clarification: gaining new skills) as characters level?

So I thought I would reach out to you all to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

In addition to the ability to spend 250 days of downtime to learn a new language or tool proficiency, characters can select the Skilled feat which grants proficiency in 3 skills of their choice IIRC. Anything more than that and you'd be making house rules.

mellored

Legend
Sorry I misworded that, I mean GET new skills as they go up in levels, something that shows they are learning new stuff as they go.
There's a feat. And you can multi-class for some classes. And some classes have features.

But generally no. You just get better at the skills you have, not learn new ones.

Draegn

Explorer
We use the paths from Talislanta as backgrounds and Talislanta's skill list. We have expanded the experience point level to slow progression and award one improvement point per thousand experience points that can be used to purchase new skills or improve existing skills and attributes. Similar to how karma is spent in Shadowrun.

Yes, our game is ninety plus percent home brewed.

Remove ads