D&D 5E Selecting the Simplest Sorcerer Solution

Eric V

Hero
[MENTION=6787650]Hemlock[/MENTION], I am assuming under the "cast any spell at triple cost" rule, the sorcerer would be using spell points?

Eric, in answer to your question:

At my table, everyone uses DMG spell points including warlocks. (I find it simpler and more elegant, and besides, fighters have other toys like Sharpshooter to play with.) So yes, if I did institute this rule for sorcerers it would be with spell points.

Since we're just spitballing, I suppose the spell slot equivalent would be "you can cast any spell on the sorcerer list if in addition to the spell slot for the spell itself, you also spend a number of additional slots whose total levels is at least twice the level of the spell slot you're spending on the spell." Thus illustrating perfectly why I find spell slots awkward and clumsy. :-/

Eric V

Hero
Eric, in answer to your question:

At my table, everyone uses DMG spell points including warlocks. (I find it simpler and more elegant, and besides, fighters have other toys like Sharpshooter to play with.) So yes, if I did institute this rule for sorcerers it would be with spell points.

Since we're just spitballing, I suppose the spell slot equivalent would be "you can cast any spell on the sorcerer list if in addition to the spell slot for the spell itself, you also spend a number of additional slots whose total levels is at least twice the level of the spell slot you're spending on the spell." Thus illustrating perfectly why I find spell slots awkward and clumsy. :-/

I've managed to convince the DMs in my group to at least try spell points, so yeah, that makes much more sense.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where paying triple the cost to cast an otherwise unknown sorcerer spell would be overpowered. It's not clear to me it is. And it has a very neat thematic feel to it, sorta X-Men-ish.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Sorcerer bloodline domain spells would be the best and easier thing I think. Rangers and sorcerers should have domain spells. Heck, I'd give them to Warlocks too, except I haven't seen them in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the contrary the easiest would be increase the number of known similar to the Bard progression. The reason domain spells work for other casters is that they can change their spells after long rest and know many more spells. With the Sorcerer and Ranger, giving them domain spells that the player may not want to use will not help them to select their desired spells.

The best solution is increase nmber number known to 22 and offer spells, as in the Warlock patrons, that are added to their spell list

Bupp

Adventurer
For a pure sorcerer, have you considered using the spell point variant? Allow a 1:1 conversion between spell points and sorcery points and shut down multiclassing (would make things very complicated). I believe that would work out really well.

I've been using a variation of this system. Same player has played two different sorcerers in two groups, one is now 5th level, the other 8th.

Spell points and sorcery points get combined into one pool, since they do transfer at a 1:1 ratio. I call the entire pool sorcery points, and they can be used to cast spells, on metamagic and to power bloodline abilities.

Spells of 6th level and higher are particularly taxing to cast, and can only cast one of each level per long rest. This keeps it in line with the spell slots, and only really affects 19th and 20th level sorcerers.

The other thing I added was the ability to Overchannel. Overchannel allows you to power spells up beyond what you normally could. Spells with a "At Higher Level" can be cast at any level, even if it's not a spell level you could normally cast. The 6th level and above rule still applies. This truely lets a sorcerer "go nova".

Example: A 5th level sorcerer has 32 total sorcery points. If he wanted to "go nova" with fireballs, he could cast a 9th level fireball, an 8th level fireball, and a 5th level fireball. That would leave just 1 sorcery point to power metamagic or power bloodline abilities.

I made these changes mainly because I wanted to sorcerers to "feel different" than wizards. Only sorcerers get spell points in my game. Spell points gives them some added flexibility with casting a limited number of spells. Overchannel gives them some of that X-Men feel that someone mentioned above.

In playtesting it has worked well. The player has been extremely frugal with his spell points overall. He tends towards a lot of cantrips and lower level spells early, hoping to save up for a "boss fight", where he'll Overchannel. I've built encounters with this in mind, so overchanneling is rarely a "I win" button, but lets him feel like a hero after letting other players shine earlier while he holds back.

He tends to run out of resources at the same rate as other players.

Shameless Plug
I've detailed these changes in a
product I have on the DMs Guild. It's pay what you want. Fair warning, it's one of my earliest pieces, and my first dealing with class options. Some of it could definitely use a rewrite, but I stand by the spell points and overchannel. It's held up to lots of playtesting at low to mid levels, and works well.

Corwin

Explorer
[MENTION=6784990]Bupp[/MENTION], I'm curious what other spellcaster classes have you had played alongside these sorcerers, if any?

Bupp

Adventurer
[MENTION=6784990]Bupp[/MENTION], I'm curious what other spellcaster classes have you had played alongside these sorcerers, if any?

The group with the 8th level sorcerer has 6 characters in it. A war cleric, moon druid, hunter ranger, champion fighter and a theif rouge. The rogue was recently replaced with a shadow monk.

The 5th level (actually 6th now that I think of it) is in a 3 player group with a valor bard and a totem barbarian.

Corwin

Explorer
The group with the 8th level sorcerer has 6 characters in it. A war cleric, moon druid, hunter ranger, champion fighter and a theif rouge. The rogue was recently replaced with a shadow monk.

The 5th level (actually 6th now that I think of it) is in a 3 player group with a valor bard and a totem barbarian.
So no one has tried playing a wizard alongside your upgraded sorcerer? Heck, even your three primary spellcasters (cleric, druid and bard) all wanted something with a more melee combat bent, rather than a more traditional "cast-first". Maybe its just coincidence, but I find that interesting. Don't you?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Signature Spell would be vastly more interesting if it did work "as often as you please." Two 3rd level spells each 1/short rest is a pretty poor capstone, especially when you consider the action economy and concentration economy costs. In practice the wizard's real capstone comes at 18th level with Spell Mastery, which does function "as often as you please" and is re-assignable to boot

Oops, I was mixing those two up. My apologies.

Remove ads