D&D 5E Sell me on: Midgard by Kobold Press

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The treatment of gods can be a plus or a minus depending on taste. Most regions have a pantheon of around 6-10 gods who they generally worship, but gods have 'masks' which are basically alternate identities that they assume in different pantheons. So the beer goddess of the not-Vikings is widely assumed to be a mask of the beer goddess of not-Egypt (or vice versa), but there's a lot of debate and friction about which war gods are or aren't masks of each other - and the gods aren't telling.

I have nothing to add except, this along is gonna make me check out this setting as this is how I (independently) decided to handle gods in my current homebrew - and one of the things I really like is that any god can have followers of any alignment. Chaotic evil cleric of the goddess of healing? Sure!

terraleon

Explorer
They dont really care for the higher powers, such as gods or big players in the shadows, they are deeply involved with the local characters though. I started them with Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures, so the concept of local involvement is integral to their understanding of D&D. ie: In Tyranny of Dragons, they dont give a hoot about the fact that a cult is trying to take over the world by summoning an evil dragon goddess. They will barge through the adventure to bash the skulls of Tiamat because her cult trashed their village at the start, though. :p

One thing this group does well though is horror or immersion in stressful events. I will need to play them through CoS one day because I know they'll be the right group for it. They are big fan of Stranger Things and other ''kids of bikes'' concept.

They may or may not really dig Wrath of the River King and Courts of the Shadowfey-- both have some social/politicking elements to them, but they're about saving Zobeck from the machinations of faerie lords who want to enforce strange faerie rule over the otherwise fantasy-mundane city and area (for values of wizard community colleges, steamworker guilds, and vampire kingdoms).

Midgard also has one of the biggest catalogues of small adventures, modules, and then bigger adventure arcs (~60 warlock "lairs" good for a night or two, six anthologies of the same (Prepared! 1 & 2, Towers, various "X Lairs" books (Eldritch, Margreve, Underworld...) depending, easily ~12 "modules" good for 3-4 sessions (Midgard Sagas, Last Gasp, Tomb of Tiberesh, Sanctuary of Belches, Streets of Zobeck...), and at least two big arcs-- Empire of the Ghouls, and Tales of the Old Margreve (although you have to massage Margreve a little to link them together...not much, though)

That's a lot of your work done for you, enough to keep a game running for years without being too taxing on you.

I'm definitely biased, though, I have helped write a lot for it over the years.

-Ben.

I can neither confirm nor deny but I'm willing to solidly bet the appeal will be non-zero.

1607636174579.png

😜

Zardnaar

Legend
Couldn't Brilliant East cover BOTH China and Japan type cultures / nations AND India and Southeast Asia type cultures / nations?

The scope of the current Southlands kickstarter might be a good gauge for the scope of an eventual Brilliant East book (or books) ...
Southlands Kickstarter

Just saying ...

I would rather have no not Japan/China/Mongols.

Actively don't like Wuxia, even as a kid thought most kung fu type stuff was stupid.

Similar thoughts on superheros up to a point espicially the red white and blue varieties.

Batman yes. Capitain America and Superman don't do much for me.

Remove ads