D&D 5E Sell Me On Tasha's

JEB

Legend
I personally find tiring that there's so much ''out there'' new PC options, but some pretty (IMHO) basic tropes are left out of the books.
This was one of my issues with the book as well. Xanathar's had a good mix of distinctive and more general options, but Tasha's leaned overwhelmingly towards esoteric stuff. Stuff like Circle of Stars and Way of the Astral Self are cool and all, but why don't we yet have basics like elemental spellcasters? Even the more theoretically general options were executed in very specialized ways (for example, the Peace Domain was more of a "teamwork domain", and insisted on giving what should be a pacifist subclass combat buffs).

jasper

Rotten DM
If you are new to gaming, D&D and DM it is a good buy. If not look at the artificer and decide if you want the official rules.

One thing you will find as a DM is your players are likely to want to use player options from this book. You can, of course, just say "no", but if you don't, then you will want to evaluate them.

The puzzles are rubbish, and the other DM options aren't that useful. There are a bunch of class-specific spellcasting foci magic items, which can be fun.

It's not worth buying twice. Just buy the digital version for the player options.

Reynard

Legend
One thing you will find as a DM is your players are likely to want to use player options from this book. You can, of course, just say "no", but if you don't, then you will want to evaluate them.

The puzzles are rubbish, and the other DM options aren't that useful. There are a bunch of class-specific spellcasting foci magic items, which can be fun.

It's not worth buying twice. Just buy the digital version for the player options.
Unless this book changes things, the 5E style of player options requires a new character every time because it is always new races and class archetypes. Is that changing? Does Tasha's lean more on feats or other a la cart choices?

In any case the last thing my game needs is more weird options for PCs. 5E is already pretty far afield of the flavor of fantasy I prefer.

Unless this book changes things, the 5E style of player options requires a new character every time because it is always new races and class archetypes. Is that changing?
There are additional and alternative powers, many geared towards lightly buffing underperforming classes.

And new spells, feats, battlemaster manoeuvres etc. that players might want to pick up at any time.
Does Tasha's lean more on feats or other a la cart choices?
It favours a more a la cart approach generally.
In any case the last thing my game needs is more weird options for PCs. 5E is already pretty far afield of the flavor of fantasy I prefer.
Hence "evaluate". There are some fundamental class improvements along side some weird and whacky stuff.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
(for example, the Peace Domain was more of a "teamwork domain", and insisted on giving what should be a pacifist subclass combat buffs).
Well, that one specifically started its life as a “love domain” which was poorly received due to the heavy use of enchantment spells in its spell list, which had uncomfortable implications when associated with “love”. So, the charm stuff got taken out and the teamwork stuff left in, changing it to a “unity domain.” Not sure why they changed the name to Peace.

Remove ads