• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell me on the Warlock

I wouldn't go that far. My warlock uses Pact of the Blade, the Mobile feat, and judicious use of Expeditious Retreat to do pretty well without Eldritch Blast.

That's a lot of resources just to get back up to the baseline. Eldritch Blast (and agonizing blast) should have just been class features. They are so powerful that you're just shooting yourself in the foot to ignore them (or going the attention seeking special snowflake route).

Personally I give them for free, (and Pact of Blade thirsting blade/extra attack for free) and warlocks still don't seem overpowered.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Although I believe a single-class warlock is totally viable, my only first person experience with the class so far is my MC rogue/monk/warlock. I don't have eldritch blast. The warlock levels are primarily for utility and flavor (holy assassin for the elven church, bound with a touch of power from the unseelie Queen of Air & Darkness).

At 9th level I was rogue 1/shadow monk 6/feypact warlock 2. Should I eventually get to 20th, I'm imagining he'll be something like assassin 5/shadow monk 10/feypact booklock 5. But that's not a given. I want to remain flexible based on how things play out along the way. Could just as easily go assassin 11/shadow monk 6/feypact bladelock 4? Who knows. There's a bunch of cool ways to take the concept.

I can see myself taking eldritch blast at some point down the road. If only to use it like cool "magic shuriken". But I seriously doubt I'll ever have any of the enhancing invocations or anything.

leonardoraele

First Post
And like many others have explained its such a bad idea they will ignore it when it comes to selling someone on the warlock.

That means its all a warlock can do? That's all? The class of a single build, that's what you are telling me? I totally disagree. The warlocks can be built without eldritch blast, shillelagh and bladelocks already appeared. You are just trolling other people's threads out of topic.

Ganymede81

First Post
That's a lot of resources just to get back up to the baseline. Eldritch Blast (and agonizing blast) should have just been class features. They are so powerful that you're just shooting yourself in the foot to ignore them (or going the attention seeking special snowflake route).

I'm not sure I follow. It is a basic class feature, a level one racial feature, and a level one spell.

But yeah, taking something that is "so powerful" is largely a wash as the DM has to up all of the challenges to compensate.

Darkwing Duck

First Post
Doesn't match the thread title.

Kind of like sell me on a rogue
Oh I mean sell me on a rogue that doesn't use sneak attack...

So you're saying that you aren't smart enough to offer anything other than the cookie-cutter cliche.
That has more to do with your personal limitations than anything else. Other non-Eldritch Blast builds have appeared in this thread, so we know good non-Eldritch Blade builds exist.

Iry

Hero
  • Tomelock + Quarterstaff + Shillelagh + Booming/Greenflame Blade + Mobility is potent.
  • Darkness / Invisibility is damn fun.
  • At Will Disguise Self + Actor is also hilarious.
  • At Will Silent Image is absolutely OP.

Darkwing Duck

First Post
  • Tomelock + Quarterstaff + Shillelagh + Booming/Greenflame Blade + Mobility is potent.
  • Darkness / Invisibility is damn fun.
  • At Will Disguise Self + Actor is also hilarious.
  • At Will Silent Image is absolutely OP.

By "Darkness / Invisibility is damn fun," I assume you are referring to using

O n e w it h Sh a d o w s
Prerequisite: 5th level
When you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you
can use your action to become invisible until you move
or take an action or a reaction.

which requires total stillness. I just don't see that being useful very often.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So you're saying that you aren't smart enough to offer anything other than the cookie-cutter cliche.
That has more to do with your personal limitations than anything else. Other non-Eldritch Blast builds have appeared in this thread, so we know good non-Eldritch Blade builds exist.

derp derp I'm a dumb moronic idiot.

misleading thread titles are bad. But don't take my word for it... I'm a derp derp moronic idiot.

Remove ads