D&D 5E Sell my Party on a Cleric

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Clerics are fine, they just don't have the most exciting leveling curve. They're amazing in Tier 1, and then slowly slow down in the later levels. They're never bad, they just have most of their power in exclusive spells rather than in class features.

Their only real design flaw is in multiclassing, they're probably a bit too inviting as a level 1 dip.

In 5E I’ve played 3 clerics, most other classes I’ve only played once

Tiefling Tempest domain
Fire Genasi Arcana domain
Triton War domain

others have touched on War and Tempest, but I just wanted to mention Arcana domain, getting magic missile and a couple of wizard cantrips at level 1 goes a long way in combat.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
In 5E I’ve played 3 clerics, most other classes I’ve only played once

Tiefling Tempest domain
Fire Genasi Arcana domain
Triton War domain

others have touched on War and Tempest, but I just wanted to mention Arcana domain, getting magic missile and a couple of wizard cantrips at level 1 goes a long way in combat.
Arcana domain is cool. I want to play a cleric of Wee Jas with this domain...

Arvok

Explorer
I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but if somebody's playing a wizard or sorcerer with a 13 Wisdom (even better if he has a low Dex score), there's a big upside to taking 1 level of cleric. If you choose War domain you get proficiency with all armor & shields as well as martial weapons. Stack that with 3 more cantrips known and no loss of spell slots due to multi-classing (your highest level spells able to cast is slowed by 1 level, though) and some 1st level cleric spells that upcast very nicely (bless, cure wounds, and inflict wounds come to mind) and your arcane caster is suddenly much more useful.

The fact that clerics take their sub-class at 1st level means it's well worth the 1 level dip for many characters when multi-classing.

jgsugden

Legend
While I agree that you don't need a cleric in 5E, I find the notion that they're underpowered laughable. I have played Light, War, Forge, and Trickery for prolonged periods - and all were extremely effective, both in combat and out of it.

The Light Cleric was essentially a blaster/healer combo. He almost always used up all his slots. From a role playing perspective, he was holy wrath, which is always fun.

The War Cleric started at first level, and from 1st to 4th, he was extremely powerful. He had Great Weapon Master as a variant human, and was often taking down the big threats solo with two 20 to 25 amage strikes per round against major foes. From 5th on he fell behind the fighter in the group, but he took on a role as a heavily armored threat and still managed to be effective with upcast spiritual weapons and spirit guardians.

The Forge Cleric walked into combat with ACs in the mid 20s, making him very hard to hit. That gave him ridiculous durability, and a pivot point around which the entire battle raged. Again, spiritual weapon and spirit guardians were 80% of the spells he cast.

Trickery Cleric was in a campaign with far more diplomacy. The DM prefered a good story to a good combat, and the group made great use of my ability to "be in two places at once". In combat, spirit guardians centered arond your illusion while you're safely back from the combat is also a gas. Being able to polymorph allies and enemies was also a favored trick, as was modify memory on potential enemies.

Stalker0

Legend
Again, spiritual weapon and spirit guardians were 80% of the spells he cast.

I think this is one of my groups primary complaints. Any build they think of where the cleric is "competent" always involves these spells, so even if you have various domains playing a cleric devolves into casting these spells over and over again.

cmad1977

Hero
I’ve seen a Life Cleric, a Nature Cleric, and a War Cleric in play and they’ve all seemed pretty amazing in their own way.

G

Guest User

I think this is one of my groups primary complaints. Any build they think of where the cleric is "competent" always involves these spells, so even if you have various domains playing a cleric devolves into casting these spells over and over again.
Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapons are great spells and it never hurts to try to have them prepared, but so is Hold Person, so is Silence, so is Animate Dead. The cleric has options.

The cleric spell list, throughout all the editions has had some pretty solid spells on it. 5e is no different. A cleric has good action economy by having a nice selection of Bonus Action spells, and Toll the Dead.

If you like to upcast spells, the list has some good options as well. Shield of Faith at 10 minutes is a economical option for a 1st level spell....lasts awhile, but is easily expendable.
The 5e class is a great fit for a player that likes to be adaptable.

The class also pairs well with Dragonmark races.

It is their loss if your players don't want to play it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases