D&D 5E Sell my Party on a Cleric

War Cleric tossing out +10's to hit to the GWM fighters in the party.

Heck, a 1st level War Cleric (Vuman, GWM) is a better Fighter than the Fighter.

Ride it through to 5th for Revivify and Spirit guardians. Paladin for 6 levels (extra attack, fighting style, divine smite, divine grace, 3 spell casting levels) then back to Cleric.

Volund

Explorer
One selling point for the cleric is that it is a front-loaded class. Other than the 17th level domain feature, a 10th level cleric has all of its class abilities. They have all of their bread and butter abilities like Channel Divinity, Destroy Undead, Divine Strike (or Potent Spellcasting), Divine Intervention, and important spells like Greater Restoration and Raise Dead, Banishment. That means that in most campaigns the cleric gets to play with all of their toys even if they never see tier 3 or 4. Also, in tiers 1 and 2, domain spells give clerics more spells prepared than any other class which means that they have a better chance for having useful magic for a situation even if they don't have big damage spells.

The experience of playing a cleric depends on the role of gods in the campaign. In the DMG the first default core assumption for D&D is "Gods Oversee the World...Gods exert influence over the world by granting divine magic to their followers and sending them signs and portents to guide them. The follower of a god serves as an agent of that god in the world. The agent seeks to further the ideals of that god and defeat its rivals." Playing a cleric is more fun if being an agent of a divine being is important to the campaign, and the player gets occasional portents and minor gifts that reward good role-playing. I think the satisfaction of playing a cleric depends on role-playing relationships and motivations more than other classes. Without them, then they could very well feel generic and boring.

Give a cleric minor magical gifts that reflect their god's favor when they reach certain levels. eg at 2nd level, "Thor is pleased with your bravery in battle, and your warhammer is now blessed. One per day you can use it to strike with the blessing of Thor and add 1d4 to your d20 roll." Nothing game-changing, just enough to let the player know that their god is real and watching them. Eventually they'll find a magic weapon and stop using the blessed warhammer, and the blessing won't pass with the hammer to anyone else, so it's more about the gesture of favor than any lasting upgrade for the character.

Involve the gods in ways that make the cleric more important to the party. A divine messenger gives the cleric a special item to use for a quest the party is undertaking. A raven brings a dried ear of corn to the cleric, and the ear has three kernels remaining. During the quest, once per day the cleric can commune with their god using the ear, and a raven will come. After feeding the raven a kernel, the raven will answer one yes/no question and then depart.

I'm surprised your group values bards over clerics. In the games I play in we almost always have a cleric but bards are among the least-chosen class.

Ashrym

Legend
I of the "if they don't like the class don't worry about it" opinion. No needs to be convinced to play the class. If they think paladins fit the concept they want better then that's the choice they should make.

If they want reasons a cleric is worthwhile then domain spells and abilities are a good start. Automatically prepped domain spells give clerics a lot more than other casters.

If they believe paladins fit the role they want better then they might take a look at spell progression. More spells higher levels faster.

Wizards have better spell power but lack the armor, hit points, and healing by default. Bards have strong selection but limited spells known and no prep swapping. Neither can channel divinity.

There are mechanical reasons to play a cleric over any of those classes. But again, don't worry -- let them play what they enjoy. You don't need to force the issue.

oriaxx77

Explorer
This is a good point, and I should clarify my position a little better. My group doesn't just see the cleric as "eh not the class I want to play", they see it as "this is a flaw in 5e....its a bad class that is a bad design".

So in some ways showing them the cleric is good is in the same breath saying "this is not a flaw in the game".
I feel you. Cleric is not even an option (for my players). It is like a blank page in the PHB.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
One of the most metal thing I've seen happen was with a 5e cleric of knowledge.

They can gain any skill or tool(?) proficiency with the help of their god. Party is exploring a strange metallic ruin (a crashed space ship). Who gains the "computer" skill proficiency? The cleric... things got a little nuts.

So in summary: Paladins got combat strength, Wizards have the spell power, and Bards have the variety, flexibility, and an array of buffs combined with other very nice mechanics. Meanwhile, the cleric has a few winning spells and nothing else to show for it.
And clerics have the spell power of wizards and the variety and flexibility of bards. You might as well ask "why play a wizard?" "why play a bard?".

No party needs a cleric, but it is a perfectly strong class that easily holds its own.

They reason someone should choose a cleric is because they want to role play a cleric.

If no one in your group wants to play a cleric, there's no reason to convince them otherwise. It is unnecessary for every class to get played at some point in every group.
And I would add to this that if (most likely when) their hp keeps reaching zero most combats, and their is no cleric around, that is on them.

(I could be wrong) It sounds to me like this group plays for combat, and they don't consider the array of capabilities outside combat as important. But what if you centered the story around the PC who is a cleric? Take a deep dive into the religion. Have the NPC's revolve around the temple or church. Use protagonists that are opposites your cleric. Maybe that could entice, or at least help demonstrate some of the cleric's RP and combat capabilities.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
This is a good point, and I should clarify my position a little better. My group doesn't just see the cleric as "eh not the class I want to play", they see it as "this is a flaw in 5e....its a bad class that is a bad design".

So in some ways showing them the cleric is good is in the same breath saying "this is not a flaw in the game".

I have always loved clerics....back to AD&D.

as to 5e, I only played one to 5th level so far. But with him, I wrecked house. I took tempest domain with heavy armor master. Cast gust of wind while a green dragon was caught in entangle spell and we Gangked him.

otherwise fought with the fighters and added punch with mace and spiritual weapon. Healed at critical times.

I guess I did not know I was supposed to not like him.

Remove ads