Sensitivity Writers. AKA: avoiding cultural appropriate in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is textbook elitism. That infantalizes those other cultures.

If that isn’t what you intended to post as your position, you might want to reconsider your choice of words.

This is just so not the case. Granted it is a bit of a subjective call, but I think I am being very far from elitist. And I think I am also very far from infantilizing other cultures.

I am glad you are willing to engage with me again, even if it is briefly. But I would ask you to hear what I am trying to say. You just kept declaring I was saying X when I told you I was saying Y (and that I didn't believe X at all).

S'mon

Legend
As I see it, you claim to not believe in this issue 100%, yet it seems you are arguing for the strictest adherence and pushing against more moderate views.

I think you might have just appropriated zealotry.

Yeah, Brendan is an infamous Zealot!

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Racism is real and so far all of the arguments for cultural appropriation have leaned so heavily on it that it should be obvious why.

Culture is a side effect of humans with shared experiences.

I blame academic delinquency for cultural mores like this. The same kind of thinking that spawned cultural appropriation netted such things as anti-miscegenation laws and eugenics.

Let’s start with “elitism”
View attachment 114284

This is admittedly a deep topic. I am not going to claim I don't ever use words incorrectly. But words are flexible things and what I was talking about was educational and intellectual elitism. A funny meme is a funny meme. But I don't think it mitigates the point I am making: that so much of this discussion benefits people with high levels of education and financial resources, and puts more strain on people who don't have those things or have them in less abundance. To me that seems elitist. At the very least snobbish.

S'mon

Legend
This is admittedly a deep topic. I am not going to claim I don't ever use words incorrectly. But words are flexible things and what I was talking about was educational and intellectual elitism. A funny meme is a funny meme. But I don't think it mitigates the point I am making: that so much of this discussion benefits people with high levels of education and financial resources, and puts more strain on people who don't have those things or have them in less abundance. To me that seems elitist. At the very least snobbish.

I think you're quoting someone else!

Taking a break from my non-engagement with you:

For what it is worth Danny, I like engaging with you. If anything I say here makes you not want to engage with me, I do feel bad about that outcome, but I also want to be completely honest here about my views (I made a point a couple of years ago to be as honest as I am in real life online). And so sometimes that leads into thorny conversations like this one. But when I've been in these kinds of threads, I've always respected you as a poster and mod even when I disagree. If I am coming off too intense, I can try to lower the intensity of my argument style.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You are saying that your right to be creative (free speech) trumps even the right to criticize your product (free speech). That’s elitism.

And your claims that “this requires educational and intellectual” sophistication beyond the average person's ability to comprehend is also elitist. Go back to my initial post. The rules are simple- they’re not even rules, but suggestions- and could generally be encapsulated by The Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This simple admonition is a core teaching to all of the world’s major faiths, and as such could be articulated and understood- even if not actually adhered to- by most of the adults on the planet. Most kids, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads