Separating the Way of the Four Elements Monk

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I have always had a problem with the Way of Four Elements monk. I didn’t like that the abilities were such a hodge podge of existing spells and new abilities. I didn’t like the weird way that you choose each technique, or the way some of them were level gated, and I especially did not like how all of them required ki points. Many archetypes of the monk exist with abilities that did not require ki use. I also felt like it was weird that a monk could pull from each element, and absolutely hated that each element was not given an equal spotlight with power and range.

I’ve seen the various ways that people have attempted to rework the Way of the Four Elements, but to me it was still a monk trying to be a spellcaster. It didn’t have the right feel. And being such a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon, not the movie), I wanted something that could at least partially live up to what it might look like to be a bender.

So I figured rather than having a monk that was able to master all four elements, it would be more in line with both Avatar, as well as more true to all other monk subtypes, to create a subclass for each individual element (Air, Fire, Earth, Water). So that’s what I attempted.

Now let me preface this by saying I know these are not really balanced. They need polish both in the mechanics and in the way the abilities are written. But I would really appreciate feedback. Many of these abilities are kind of starting points or concepts, and the mechanics may not reflect them so well or may not be balanced compared other Monk archetypes. So here they are:

Way of Air

Disciple of Air
When you initiate the Way of Air, you learn the most basic and foundational abilities of this discipline. You gain the Gust cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip.

When you reach level 11, your control over the wind improves. When you use the Gust cantrip to move an unattended object, the object can be up to 10 lbs, and you can choose any direction to push the object rather than just pushing it away from you.

Sweeping Wind
When you take this subclass, you learn to use the winds to give you more control over the field of battle. Using the attack action, you can push your foes around with powerful gusts of wind. When you use this ability, choose an opponent up to 15 feet away. They must make a Strength saving throw or be either knocked prone or pushed it 5’ in a direction of your choice, including launching them into the air. If you choose to launch the opponent into the air, they gain advantage on their saving throw. Once you know the outcome of the save, you can choose to increase the distance you push your opponent, spending 1 ki point per additional 10 feet. You cannot spend more than 3 ki points on any single push.

Swift Step
When you reach 6th level, you become quick and airy. You gain the following benefits:
· You gain an additional 10 feet movement speed.
· You are unaffected by difficult terrain.
· You add your Wisdom modifier to initiative checks.

Light as Air
When you reach 11th level, you are forever freed from the constraints of the earth. You gain a fly speed equal to your movement speed.

In addition, when someone you see within 100 feet of you begins falling, you can use your reaction to slow their fall as if they were affected by the feather fall spell.

Focused Cyclone
By 17th level you have developed such fine control over wind and air that you can create a violent and focused whirlwind that can literally steal the breath from your enemies. As an action you may spend 2 ki points and choose a target that you can see within 15 feet. The target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target takes 4d8 thunder damage and suffers one level of exhaustion. On a success, the target only takes 4d8 thunder damage, but does not suffer the exhaustion. Those immune to exhaustion may still take the thunder damage.

Way of Fire

Disciple of Fire
When you initiate the Way of Fire, you learn the most basic and foundational abilities of this discipline. You gain the Control Flames and Produce Flames cantrips. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these cantrips.

When you reach level 11, your control over fire improves. When you use the Control Flames cantrip, the amount of nonmagical flame that you can manipulate increases to a 15-foot cube.

The Heat of Combat
When you take this subclass, you learn to wreath your unarmed strikes with savage flames to burn your enemies, and the flames you create from nothing burn with an intensity to match the passion within your heart. You add fire damage to your unarmed strikes equal to your Wisdom modifier. Additionally, whenever you use the Produce Flames cantrip, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage dealt.

Unrelenting Flames
At 6th level any fire damage that you deal ignores resistance. Any creature that is immune to fire is instead considered to be resistant against your attacks that deal fire damage.

The Dancing Dragon
At 11th level you have learned to produce jets of flame that move as if alive, taking the vague shape of a hungry dragon that wants to devour your enemies. As an action you choose a number of enemies that you can see up to your Wisdom bonus. These enemies must all be within 30 feet of you. Each enemy must make Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 fire damage.

You can increase the fire damage by spending ki points. Each point you spend, to a maximum of 3, increases the damage by 2d6.

Fires of Hell
Beginning at 17th level, the fires you produce can burn through even the pillars that Hell was built upon. Creatures always take full fire damage from your attacks, regardless of their resistance or immunity.

Additionally, whenever you deal fire damage with your unarmed strike or Produce Flame attacks, you can spend a ki point to deal double your Wisdom bonus to fire damage for that attack.

Way of Earth

Disciple of Earth
When you initiate the Way of Earth, you learn the most basic and foundational abilities of this discipline. You gain the Mold Earth cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip.

When you reach level 11, your power to manipulate earth and stone increases. You can now manipulate a portion of dirt or stone that you can see within range and that fits within a 15-foot cube.

Boulder Stance
As a bonus action, you enter a stance that allows you to create and fling boulders at your enemies. Until the start of your next turn, your unarmed attacks deal double their normal damage dice and can strike foes up to 60 feet away. On a successful strike, you can spend a ki point to add an additional damage dice to that attack. These attacks deal maximum damage to objects and structures. Any boulders created are destroyed as part of the attack.

Mountain Sight
At level 6 you learn to feel vibrations from the ground through your feet, giving you the ability to sense everything in contact with the ground around you. You gain tremorsense out to 15ft.

One with the Earth
Upon reaching 11th level, you gain a burrow speed equal to movement speed, allowing you to move through the ground. You can burrow through nonmagical, unworked earth and stone. While doing so, you don't disturb the material you move through. If any part of you remains submerged in earth or stone by the end of your turn, you are shunted to the nearest open space and take 4d10 force damage.

Body of Steel
When you reach 17th level, you have learned to easily endure attacks that would utterly destroy lesser mortals. When you are struck by an attacker you can see or sense through your tremorsense, you can use a reaction to spend 1 ki point and gain immunity to that attack. Once used, you will have resistance to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Way of Water

Disciple of Water
When you initiate the Way of Water, you learn the most basic and foundational abilities of this discipline. You gain a swim speed equal to your movement, as well as the Shape Water cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this cantrip.

When you reach level 11, your control over water improves. When you use the Shape Water cantrip, the amount of water that you can manipulate increases to a 15-foot cube.

Water Whip
Upon taking this subclass at 3rd level, your unarmed strikes gain a reach of 20 feet. For each unarmed strike you make, you can choose whether it deals bludgeoning or cold.

After you successfully strike an opponent with an unarmed strike, you can spend 1 ki point to grapple your opponent. You do not require your hands to grapple, and you can simultaneously grapple a total number of opponents equal to your Wisdom bonus. Escaping a grapple requires your target to use their action to make a Strength saving throw.

Water of Life
When you reach 6th level, you learn to infuse water with your ki to heal even grievous injuries. As an action you can spend ki points to heal yourself or others with your touch. For each ki point spent, you can heal 5 hit points.

Octopus Style
Upon reaching level 11, you learn to use your water tendrils to defend yourself and your allies, and can even flow with the attack to redirect it back upon the enemy. When an enemy you can see targets yourself or an ally within 20 feet or you, you can use your reaction to force the attack to be made with disadvantage. If this attack misses and the attacker is within 20 feet of you, you can spend 1 ki point to attempt an unarmed strike against the attacker.

Ice Prison
At 17th level, you have developed the ability to incase your opponents in ice, making it difficult for them to fight back. As action, you can attempt to use this ability against any creature you currently have grappled with your water whip ability. Each target must make a Strength saving throw or become restrained. A creature restrained by this ability may use their action to repeat their Strength saving throw. On a success, the creature is no longer restrained or grappled.

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I love the idea behind giving each element it's own distinct identity. That being said I'm not a big fan of the direction you took with the Way of Earth. Out of all of the abilities only the move earth cantrip and One with Earth are actually related to earth. All of the other abilities are just about being tough. When I play an earth bender I want to be hurling boulders, creating crude rock structures, whipping up sand, or sinking my enemies into the ground. Not just be a regular melee fighter with some dirt on his face. In most of the elemental material in 5e so far the earth variant is almost always just a tough melee bruiser and it's something that irks me as I want to see something more interesting.

The Way of the water is great though and looks loads of fun to play. Controlling the battlefield with ranged grapples and restricting enemy options gives it a strong control theme. Ice prison might warrant some kind of cost. Either a ki cost to activate or restrict it to WIS mod per rest. Also minor nitpick: Octopus Style doesn't have the level listed in the description.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
My houserule for 4e monks is that I let them choose a Mystic elemental masteries from UA instead of a single spell-like ability.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback, [MENTION=6784845]MonkeezOnFire[/MENTION]!

That being said I'm not a big fan of the direction you took with the Way of Earth. Out of all of the abilities only the move earth cantrip and One with Earth are actually related to earth. All of the other abilities are just about being tough. When I play an earth bender I want to be hurling boulders, creating crude rock structures, whipping up sand, or sinking my enemies into the ground. Not just be a regular melee fighter with some dirt on his face. In most of the elemental material in 5e so far the earth variant is almost always just a tough melee bruiser and it's something that irks me as I want to see something more interesting.

I agree. Part of the problem I faced when developing these archetypes is trying not to replicate what other archetypes have done. For example, throwing around ranged attacks is much of what is already done by the Way of the Sun Soul. I want something more than reflavoring their ranged blasts from radiant to bludgeoning damage. So from a mechanical point of view, I'm not sure how to replicate throwing around boulders or sinking enemies into the ground without going the route of the original Way of the Four Elements with spell-like abilities with a Ki cost (which I'm also trying to avoid). For that reason, for some of these archetypes I thought about what it means to be a monk that fights using the style of earth bending. In Avatar, most earth benders wait for the right moment to strike and when they do, they strike hard. Until that moment, they remain tough and have the most direct physical defense (as opposed to Fire benders that are all about attack, Air benders who focus on evasion and movement, and Water benders who flow and defend through redirection and control of the field of battle).

That said, if you have ideas that replicate throwing around boulders and such that doesn't replicate something that has already been done, I would love to hear it! I definitely would like that feel for these guys as well, but I just don't know how to execute it at the moment.

The Way of the water is great though and looks loads of fun to play. Controlling the battlefield with ranged grapples and restricting enemy options gives it a strong control theme. Ice prison might warrant some kind of cost. Either a ki cost to activate or restrict it to WIS mod per rest.

Thanks! Glad you like it. As for the ki cost, I thought about that. But the thing is, in order to initiate the grapple in the first place requires spending a ki point on each opponent grappled. Then next round, you can initiate the restraint condition, but that itself as an action cost. So you are already spending up to 4 ki points to set it up, and then skipping an opportunity when you could be attacking. Given this, I thought it appropriate to leave the cost as an opportunity cost where you are choosing to use the ability or continue with offensive attacks.

Also minor nitpick: Octopus Style doesn't have the level listed in the description.

Thanks! Corrected!

My houserule for 4e monks is that I let them choose a Mystic elemental masteries from UA instead of a single spell-like ability.

That is actually not a bad idea. At least, in terms of getting some mechanical ideas for some of the elemental themed abilities. I still want to avoid too much of a dependence of needing to use Ki points for every ability as the Way of the Four Elements did, since it is the only monk archetype that has such a significant Ki point cost to all of its abilities.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Oh, and an additional design note:

I didn't want these styles to confer resistance or immunity to any element, especially fire or cold. I feel like in the Avatar series where I draw a large amount of my inspiration, no one is actually resistant to their element of power. Zuko was still severely burned by his father, and I have not seen any fire bending style include any kind of fire armor in the vein of how Earth benders collect stone or gemstones around their body (nor have I seen this with water benders using ice). This tells me that they still feel and are affected by the heat and cold. Additionally, by nixing the need to put in any kind of elemental resistance, it allowed greater design space for other more active and fun abilities rather than passive "meh" abilities.

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
That said, if you have ideas that replicate throwing around boulders and such that doesn't replicate something that has already been done, I would love to hear it! I definitely would like that feel for these guys as well, but I just don't know how to execute it at the moment.

How about something like this:

As an action you can create a 5 ft cube boulder in a space within 5 ft of you. You can create a number of boulders with this effect equal to your Wisdom modifier at any one time (minimum 1).

While you are within 5 ft of the boulder you can use your action to hurl it in a 30 ft line. Each enemy in the line must make a Str saving throw, being pushed to the end of the line and taking 2d8 bludgeoning damage on a failed save. Creatures that make the save are not pushed and take half damage. The boulder is then destroyed.

You can increase the damage by spending ki points. Each point you spend to a maximum of 3 increases the damage by 1d8. (Alternatively this could be spend ki points to increase the length of the line)

I know that this edition typically values creating things as pretty potent. Wall of stone and Bones of the Earth are high level spells. But this boulder is comparatively much smaller and I feel like this type of effect should be a staple of earth bending.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
How about something like this:

As an action you can create a 5 ft cube boulder in a space within 5 ft of you. You can create a number of boulders with this effect equal to your Wisdom modifier at any one time (minimum 1).

While you are within 5 ft of the boulder you can use your action to hurl it in a 30 ft line. Each enemy in the line must make a Str saving throw, being pushed to the end of the line and taking 2d8 bludgeoning damage on a failed save. Creatures that make the save are not pushed and take half damage. The boulder is then destroyed.

You can increase the damage by spending ki points. Each point you spend to a maximum of 3 increases the damage by 1d8. (Alternatively this could be spend ki points to increase the length of the line)

I know that this edition typically values creating things as pretty potent. Wall of stone and Bones of the Earth are high level spells. But this boulder is comparatively much smaller and I feel like this type of effect should be a staple of earth bending.

I like where your head is at, but to me it still feels a bit too similar to what other archetypes (including those above) already do. Perhaps something like this:

Boulder Stance
As a bonus action, you enter a stance that allows you to create and fling boulders at your enemies. Until the start of your next turn, your unarmed attacks deal double their normal damage dice and can strike foes up to 60 feet away. On a successful strike, you can spend a ki point to add an additional damage dice to that attack. These attacks deal maximum damage to objects and structures. Any boulders created are destroyed as part of the attack.

An excellent choice.

Thanks! ^_^

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I've updated some of the abilities as follows:

Sweeping Wind - I changed the opposed check to a Strength save. I figured it was more streamlined this way.

Focused Cyclone - Originally called Thief of Breath. I changed that undead and constructs are immune to the ability outright. Those immune to exhaustion may still take the damage. I think this simplifies the ability a bit and increases its general utility, as well as better shows that it is not just stealing breath but also a violent cyclone of wind surrounding the target.

Boulder Stance - This replaces Tough as Stone, which didn't really belong. Boulder stance is more true the Earth bender idea.

Grounded Sight - This was mixed into the 11th level ability, but I moved it to the 6th level since the advantage to Strength saves and checks seemed a bit weak on its own.

One with the Earth - Reworded it to look more like the Earth Elemental ability Earth Glide. Since that ability specifies that it must be unworked stone, I don't see a problem with moving through castle walls.

Improved <Insert Cantrip> - Added an improved version of each of the elemental cantrips. These are mostly ribbon abilities, but represents an increased control over the amount of each element that can be controlled at once.

The ability I still have the most problem with is Focused Cyclone. I'm not sure this is a good subclass capstone ability, or if it is balanced/worthwhile.

Update: I'm wondering if these subclasses need cantrip outside of the flavor ones (true strike, blade ward, and ray of frost). The only one that seems to need it is the Way of Flame with produce flame.

The primary archetypes I'm trying to compare is the Way of the Sun Soul and Way of the Open Hand. I feel like the initial powers for Air and Water compare well to Open Hand. Air is pure control but deals no damage. Water can deal damage at a distance and has some control, but the grappled condition is limited in what it does compared to shove and prone. Meanwhile, Earth and Fire I think compare well to Sun Soul. Earth will get fewer attacks due to the bonus action requirement, but the attacks hit harder and at a distance. Meanwhile, Fire is limited to a single ranged attack via cantrip, or some harder hitting melee attacks but always gotta reserve at least one no point to work.

I feel like the other abilities are about in the right space power wise with the possible exception of Focused Cyclone.

Also got rid of Strength of the Mountain and increased Mountain Sight (formerly Grounded Sight) to a range of 15ft.

Added the feather fall reaction to Light as Air.

Retooled swim speed into Disciple of Water.

Reduced the damage flexibility of Water Whip to bludgeoning or cold damage only, rather than including piercing and slashing as choices as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads