• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse - OOC.

G

Guest 11456

Tailspinner - Is your current Character interation the one in the RG? If so I would recommend a little diversification on the skill list, otherwise you may find that your character can't do much in a lot of situations. Your sort of super-specialized as it stands.

Skills you might be interested in:

Athletics - self evident but also lets you avoid getting hit in a fight.

Some sort of combat skill even at d4 if you don't want to be that good: these include- Guns, melee weapons, heavy weapons (ship guns-if we have any,bazoka type stuff, etc), ranged weapons(bows, thrown knives, grenades, thrown anything), and unarmed combat.

Perform-lets you pretend to be someone else and then influence someone;).

knowledge? maybe

Medical expertise-It would be great to have someone in the group with even a d2 of medical expertise (as its a skilled only) -even if the group later gets a 'doctor' -what if that 'doctor' is uncouncious/dying?

-edit sorry is Ethandrew still in? I just went by the RG. Oops.

Pilot or Mechanical Egineering - again we got one person aboard whose really good at this (and again they are trained only). 'sides whose gonna fly those shuttles?
(plus who wants to fly with a captain who has no idea how anything on his ship works?:angel:)

I often find new players to systems like this can tend to hyper-specialize. This often leads to boredom as most of the time there stuck sitting on their hands with nothing to due, and even when something comes along that they can do there so good at it that they always succeed. It can also make for a hard time GMing those characters.

Just some food for thought.

Thanx for the input. I had originally thought about doing something like this. The character tried a number of other things before sliding into his current role as a captain. I am currently working on my background. I took Thanee's advice and should have the PDF in the next few days. I have updated my character sheet in the RG. Please look it over and comment.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Hi Tailspinner,

Concept of the broader-skilled build looks great, but you might actually get a few more skill points to spend .

If you have included you bonus from talented in your current Leadership rank, I see a total of 64 points, leaving you 4 more. (I may be reading the sheet differently that you intended, though - you might, for example, have spent six points on the leadership specialty, with Talented as giving you a 2 step bonus to your purchased d12, for a total of d12+d4. In that case, you correctly spent a total of 68, and you're set.

Great job with the build:)

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
I've put the Liann Xin info into the Rogues Galley. I'll try to do this for each planet/place the party or members of it have visited. Each planet's description will include a list of the people the party has interacted with in some way more significant than ordering a drink and who were left alive.

Ethandrew, can you post Lucius in the RG?

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Slick wants a "Sparrow Class Short-Range Shuttle" as his fortress of solitude :).

[sblock=Preffered stats and background details:]

Sparrow Class Short-Range Shuttle

Dimensions (LxBxH): 35 x 20 x 12 feet
Tonnage: 30 tons.
Speed Class: 1 cruise/3 hard-burn (reaction thrusters only).
Crew: Pilot, Copilot.
Life support: 30 man-days.
Fuel Capacity: 1 ton (1,000 hours).
Cargo and Passenger Capacity: 18 tons, or up to 14 passengers on fold-down benches.

Traits: Agi d10, Str d2, Vit d6, Ale d2, Int d2, Wil d4; Init d10+d2, Life 6.

Healthy as a Horse; Short Range;
Nimble (minor)- Sparrow Class shuttles are fitted with a variable-geometry wing system that adjusts to provide maximum manoeuvrability in a variety of flight regimes and gives the class a +2 step Agility bonus to Pilot actions in atmo.

Skills: Aerial Transport Operations/Shuttle d2
Space Transport Operations/Shuttle d2.
Complexity: low
Maintenance costs 36CR per year.
Price: calculated as 180CR but probably around 580CR or something using Short-range shuttle in the core book as a base.

The Sparrow Class shuttle was intended to be Kieran Yards first foray into large-scale production, and almost a thousand were ordered at the company yards on Beylix. Unfortunately, construction delays and cost overruns made the operation extremely unprofitable, and forced Kieran to license the design for manufacture by others. Of the twenty two thousand Sparrows officially manufactured, only about four hundred and seventy were produced by Kieran Yards.
Designed for use aboard bulk and mid-bulk transports, the Sparrow is a robust and dependable vessel, with good cargo capacity and range. A major drawback to the design is that it comes in larger than a standard short shuttle (48 versus 25 feet in length), yet has only a modest increase in cargo capacity. Still, owners and operators of the Sparrow tend to be quite loyal, remarking favorably on the vessel’s reliability and maneuverability.
Sparrow class shuttles lack the pulse drives and regenerative life support systems necessary for prolonged or deep-space voyages, but are more than able to travel from their base ship or homeport to nearby planets, vessels or moons and returning.

Quirks/Special Characteristics: The Sparrow Class are fitted with a variable-geometry wing system and a “fighter-style” cockpit (a Kieran trademark). As a result, they are characterized as “sporty” and “a joy to fly “. The Sparrow Class was used by the Independents as an “intermediate” trainer from 2505 to 2511 and the boats have found a home at a number of flight schools for the same reason. The “Red Sparrows”, a Rim-World aerobatics demonstration team uses distinctively painted Sparrow Class shuttles in their performances. [/sblock]

[sblock=Link to more pics]
Sparrow Class Shuttle- Responding to a Request

can't seem to find a way to post the pic in, even saved on my harddrive.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• SparrowSB.jpg
    SparrowSB.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Slick wants a "Sparrow Class Short-Range Shuttle" as his fortress of solitude :).

[sblock=Preffered stats and background details:]

Sparrow Class Short-Range Shuttle

Dimensions (LxBxH): 35 x 20 x 12 feet
Tonnage: 30 tons.
Speed Class: 1 cruise/3 hard-burn (reaction thrusters only).
Crew: Pilot, Copilot.
Life support: 30 man-days.
Fuel Capacity: 1 ton (1,000 hours).
Cargo and Passenger Capacity: 18 tons, or up to 14 passengers on fold-down benches.

Traits: Agi d10, Str d2, Vit d6, Ale d2, Int d2, Wil d4; Init d10+d2, Life 6.

Healthy as a Horse; Short Range;
Nimble (minor)- Sparrow Class shuttles are fitted with a variable-geometry wing system that adjusts to provide maximum manoeuvrability in a variety of flight regimes and gives the class a +2 step Agility bonus to Pilot actions in atmo.

Skills: Aerial Transport Operations/Shuttle d2
Space Transport Operations/Shuttle d2.
Complexity: low
Maintenance costs 36CR per year.
Price: calculated as 180CR but probably around 580CR or something using Short-range shuttle in the core book as a base.

The Sparrow Class shuttle was intended to be Kieran Yards first foray into large-scale production, and almost a thousand were ordered at the company yards on Beylix. Unfortunately, construction delays and cost overruns made the operation extremely unprofitable, and forced Kieran to license the design for manufacture by others. Of the twenty two thousand Sparrows officially manufactured, only about four hundred and seventy were produced by Kieran Yards.
Designed for use aboard bulk and mid-bulk transports, the Sparrow is a robust and dependable vessel, with good cargo capacity and range. A major drawback to the design is that it comes in larger than a standard short shuttle (48 versus 25 feet in length), yet has only a modest increase in cargo capacity. Still, owners and operators of the Sparrow tend to be quite loyal, remarking favorably on the vessel’s reliability and maneuverability.
Sparrow class shuttles lack the pulse drives and regenerative life support systems necessary for prolonged or deep-space voyages, but are more than able to travel from their base ship or homeport to nearby planets, vessels or moons and returning.

Quirks/Special Characteristics: The Sparrow Class are fitted with a variable-geometry wing system and a “fighter-style” cockpit (a Kieran trademark). As a result, they are characterized as “sporty” and “a joy to fly “. The Sparrow Class was used by the Independents as an “intermediate” trainer from 2505 to 2511 and the boats have found a home at a number of flight schools for the same reason. The “Red Sparrows”, a Rim-World aerobatics demonstration team uses distinctively painted Sparrow Class shuttles in their performances. [/sblock]

[sblock=Link to more pics]
Sparrow Class Shuttle- Responding to a Request

can't seem to find a way to post the pic in, even saved on my harddrive.
[/sblock]

I think we can do that :) If I can find some time after I get a bunch of papers graded, I can post a final ship version and deckplan (I do plan on going with the dragonfly as Thanee suggested, but most likely with some traits tweaked to take Thondor's and other suggestions into consideration. If anyone does have additional suggestions, now's the time)

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I think we can do that :) If I can find some time after I get a bunch of papers graded, I can post a final ship version and deckplan (I do plan on going with the dragonfly as Thanee suggested, but most likely with some traits tweaked to take Thondor's and other suggestions into consideration. If anyone does have additional suggestions, now's the time)

Yes! (does a little dance)

So what's the plan with the 'flashback' scene? We could just let that trail off I suppose. . . and go over to the main thread? Or possibly do both at the same time till we get further resolution?

Thoughts?

Maerdwyn

First Post
I see the flashback scene wrapping up pretty quickly as soon as the two characters head into Paula's; we'll run both for just a little longer. Once it's done, we'll concentrate on present day stuff, leaving the first thread open for other flashback scenes as needed throughout the campaign.

I wouldn't mind if Aaron and Tatjana wanted to do stuff in the present day as their flashback also finished being written, though; up to y'all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads