[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse - OOC.

Maerdwyn

First Post
I am familiar with Handwavium :)

As for this game, I'm very flexible. Probably set out among the rim worlds, with a crew just trying to keep flying. I had thought most would be brownshirt sympathizers or not politically inclined, but that's obviously player choice. From players, I'm looking for good role playing, and a willingness to help guide the story both with character backstory/in game choices and OOC input on the kinds of stuff everyone wants to do.

First adventure is tentatively titled "Little Ship Lost." As it opens, we find the rightful (potentially, at least) owner of a ship drinking in some rim world saloon and ruminating about losing her to a rival some time ago. The chance to get her back's come up, but the captain needs to find the folk her back who can pull it off and then keep her flyin'.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzE6yVXXi1o"](Captain's drinking song)[/ame]

Maerdwyn

First Post
4-6 sounds about right.

Since there are people on both sides in terms of system preference, I should say I'm probably leaning towards the Serenity RPG system at this point. As Thanee said, it seems to have a decent balance of ease and versatility. I'll post some details about it so the people who only have d20 can evaluate whether they want to give it a try.

Felix1459

First Post
I'd be interested if you decided to go with a d20 ruleset but that's only because I don't have, or have access to the Serenity ruleset. But I'm throwing up the interested flag & letting it fly. If I was to make a character I'd go for a gunsliger who like Mal: anything that can go wrong...does when he gets involved.

Vertexx69

First Post
I played in a game for a few months using the serenity rules as a sniper/tracker/ex soldier (Zoeyish), but the game died from lack of GM availability/imagination. The rules were a bit flimsy but I didn't have access to the books at the time. Adapting one game system to another set of rules just seems to drag a game into complications they don't need.

I'd be interested in taking a crack at a reader if your looking for concepts, but more of a diplomat than an idiot savant like River was. (Think more Mal, less braincase.)

Rhun

First Post
If somebody with the Serenity rules is willing to throw together the crunch for my PC and you can post some generals of the dos and don'ts of the system, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Serenity Rules Primer

Basic Mechanic: You succeed at something if [Ability die]+[Skill Die] >= [DC].

At character generation, you use a point-buy system to purchase the level of die you use for a particular attribute or skill.

You start with 48 Attribute points and then buy Assets (Things like Allure, Born Behind the Wheel, leadership, Linguist, etc) and Complications (Things don't go smooth, paralyzed, superstitious, deadly enemy, etc.). Assets cost 2 or 4 points, depending on the level of benefit, and taking a Complication will get you 2 or 4 points depending on their severity. You must purchase at least one Asset and one Complication, but may have up to 5 of each.

Then you purchase an ability die for each of six abilities: Agility, Strength, Vitality, Alertness, Intelligence, and Willpower. It costs 2 attribute points to buy a d2, 4 points for a d4, etc., up to 14 points for a d12+d2.

Initiative is derived from Agility + Alertness. Life Points come from Vitality + Willpower.

Then purchase skills. You get 68 skill points. You can buy general skills up to the d6 level only: 2 points for d2, 4 for d4, and 6 for d6. Then you can specialize in a skill, buying a d8 in the specialty for 2 points, a d10 for 4, d12 for 6, or d12+d2 for 8. [Thus, you could buy Guns d6, Pistols d8, and Rifles d8 for a total of 10 points.]

You get 1500 credits to buy gear (unless you take an asset or complication that changes that total)

The games uses plot points as rewards for doing cool stuff. You can spend them either prospectively on a roll to purchase extra dice (1 pt for a d2, 2 for a d4, etc), or to change the result of a roll retrospectively (1 point per point of change). You start with six and can keep up to 12 on hand.

Combat summary from FireflyRPG.com.

Character Sheet also from FireflyRPG.

A fillable version of the same character sheet (with menus containing the official Assets and Complications, for example) is attached.

[More to come]

Attachments

• Serenity_Character_Sheet_2-1_Modified_Editable.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Remove ads