• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Serious] Help, I'm addicted to buying RPG books!

shadow

First Post
I've had a problem this problem for some time, but I've never realized the extent of it. It seems like I have to continously purchase the newest rpg books. Being a college student, my only real source of income is my campus job. Yesterday, when I walked into the local gaming store I ended up spending $65 on Unearthed Arcana and D20 Modern Weapons locker. I then got to thinking. I've spend several hundred dollars on the latest d20 stuff in the last couple of year. Altogether, I've probably spent nearly $1000 on rpg books. (Not including miniature, dice, screens, etc) Even worse is the fact that I know I'll never use half the books that I have, but I have them anyway. I swore that I would quit buying RPG books after 3.5e came out, but lo and behold several months later I'm buying them again. I feel that this is a serious addiction. I feel like I should get rid of many of the books that I'll never use, but I can't bring myself to part with them! Am I addicted to rpg books?

der_kluge

Adventurer
Are you addicted? Yes, probably.

But, look on the bright side, it's not endangering your health, so it could be far, far worse. You could be addicted to crack, for example.

Perhaps a better solution is to go into your local library and check out books on history and fantasy-related topics. You'll get really smart, get your fantasy fix, and best of all, the public library is FREE!

Crothian

First Post
Stob buying rpg books for a few months and see what happens to you. Actually stop buying anything RPG related for that time. Then you will know if its an addiction or just a hobby you really like.

I'm one of the founding memebers of OSA ( Over Sourcebooked Annonymous ) -Join us for our meeting on the third Wednesday of the month at the LGS!

Oh, and make sure you bring $39 for the latest WotC book.

...and $22 for that new 3rd party softcover...

uhhh - and about $27 for those sweet new Reaper mini releases!

And about $65 for the sweet new Warmachine minis. ;) $50 for the new Conan book. How much for the new Book of Fiends, due in stores next week?

Yikes, I feel your pain, man.

Of course, I actually can afford to buy what I buy, so that helps.

Harlock

First Post
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
I'm one of the founding memebers of OSA ( Over Sourcebooked Annonymous ) -Join us for our meeting on the third Wednesday of the month at the LGS!

Oh, and make sure you bring $39 for the latest WotC book.

...and $22 for that new 3rd party softcover...

uhhh - and about $27 for those sweet new Reaper mini releases!

You forgot $10 for dice... ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
shadow said:
I feel that this is a serious addiction. I feel like I should get rid of many of the books that I'll never use, but I can't bring myself to part with them! Am I addicted to rpg books?

Honestly, we here on the message boards are not in a position to help with really serious issues like addiction. If you feel you have a real, honest to goodness problem, you need to see a professional, not a bunch of geeks on a gaming-related message board.

That being said, there are lots of people who have low sales resistance (which is not the same as addiction). One simple way to combat it is to not bring your money, credit, or bank cards into the gaming store. That will keep you from making impulse purchases.

BUT SERIOUSLY

Crothian is right. Stop buying books for a while. Don't buy anything until you've read every book you already own. Don't buy anything until you've USED every book you already own. Call the LGS manager and ask him to bar you from his store for the next 3 months. Ask your debit and credit card companies to block that store so you can't buy anything there.

It's not a destructive habit, but it could very well develop into it. Would the money you spend be necessary for some other, more essential purpose (food, shelter, school supplies, etc.)?

If you still want to buy stuff, try giving yourself a budget. It's important to learn to control compulsive behavior...

AR

Always buy your books from Amazon.com. That way, it costs 30% off, and every time you click "Add-to-Cart" you'll get buyer's remorse and hold off on clicking "checkout". That's how I put off buying stuff for a year at a time...

FullTinCan

First Post
Umbran said:
Honestly, we here on the message boards are not in a position to help with really serious issues like addiction. If you feel you have a real, honest to goodness problem, you need to see a professional, not a bunch of geeks on a gaming-related message board.

That being said, there are lots of people who have low sales resistance (which is not the same as addiction). One simple way to combat it is to not bring your money, credit, or bank cards into the gaming store. That will keep you from making impulse purchases.

Before you go to the gaming store, determine how much you are willing to spend. Go to your bank and withdraw that amount. Then before going to the gaming store, remove all means of purchasing things, except for the aforementioned cash. Once you are in the gaming store, you will only be able to spend as much as you decided you were able to spend.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads