Shadowdark looks so good!

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Could use the death at hp 0 variant mode. I’ve had some entertaining sequences of the INT 15 check to stabilize being flubbed though.
It could have been worse. They had 2 Priests with Cure Wounds and someone with a good INT to make stabilize checks if need be. It was a 6 player group too.

Really the death/KO count doesnt super bother me. It's more like they wasted the Mino Boss with almost no issue. It didn't help that I couldn't roll over a 7 to hit them, so really its my bad rolls..

Them getting jumped by 6 Ettercaps would have been a TPK but thats not what I was going for and since they were apparently looking to rob and not murder....

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
One more thing, they really liked the narrative bit of it.

Like the Fighters background was "Thieves Guild" so before they started trying to break a door down he said "Due to my Thieves Guild training I want to trap the corridor behind us." I was like yeah that's a good idea.

And the thief player loved that Thiefs just succeed at finding traps etc even though it took a chunk of time off the torch timer.

And they all loved the torch timer

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Having two healers in a group definitely changes the lethality of any fantasy game.
My normal group is 5 players.

Rolling random characters means you could double up on Priests fairly easy.

I was thinking that instead of random characters they all agree to a core 4 plus a 5th (Ranger or Bard).

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My normal group is 5 players.

Rolling random characters means you could double up on Priests fairly easy.

I was thinking that instead of random characters they all agree to a core 4 plus a 5th (Ranger or Bard).
I am not hardcore enough to require my players end up with random classes. I do think, from a success standpoint, having the core four and a wildcard will probably work great.

kapars

Adventurer
I am not hardcore enough to require my players end up with random classes. I do think, from a success standpoint, having the core four and a wildcard will probably work great.
Based on the setting you could also consider one of the Zine classes. People say some are overpowered but I’m just not seeing that in the math. Some of the Tier 4 and 5 Witch spells are potent though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Based on the setting you could also consider one of the Zine classes. People say some are overpowered but I’m just not seeing that in the math. Some of the Tier 4 and 5 Witch spells are potent though.
From eyeballing it, and DMing a Pit Fighter, I'd say they probably are great at low levels and then lose out by the time mid-levels roll around.

Pit Fighters are great at standing back up from hitting zero hit points, but a Fighter will ultimately get hit a lot less and -- more importantly -- will kill the monsters a lot faster.

kapars

Adventurer
From eyeballing it, and DMing a Pit Fighter, I'd say they probably are great at low levels and then lose out by the time mid-levels roll around.

Pit Fighters are great at standing back up from hitting zero hit points, but a Fighter will ultimately get hit a lot less and -- more importantly -- will kill the monsters a lot faster.
Yeah, testing against a Chimera at level 10 it doesn’t look great.

Pit Fighter with 18STR, 14CON, DEX 10. Leather armor, shield, bastard sword 1h.

2 talents to increase strength, 2 to +1 melee damage, 1x ignore damage from one attack

On the damage side it is d8 + 2 so 4.5 + 2 = 6.5 hitting at + 4 so hitting Chimera AC 16 at 12+ ie 45% so effective 2.925 damage per round.

Incoming damage is 36 rend and 14 fire hitting AC 13 with +7 on 6+ ie 75% and making DEX15 with +0 30% for 27 rend and 9.8 fire for 36.8 per round.

Starting with 6.5 hp and gaining 4.5 nine times leads to 47 hp. This means the Pit Fighter goes down in 1.28 rounds.

Flourish applied once adds 3.5 hp takes that to 1.37 rounds. Immunity to attack negates one rend for additional 9hp taking us to 1.62 rounds. Succeed on DC18 con check on 16+ 36% of time with advantage which we will count as 0.36 of one 9 point rend for additional 3.24 for effective 62.74 hp and going down in 1.7 rounds.

I could apply another partial flourish or factor in the 18+ on revive but I’ll stop here. Doesn’t look great with issue being low AC. Ironically this means a Pit Fighter should go +1 to melee attack over STR/CON and focus on Finesse weapons and favor DEX.

Last edited:

Remove ads