• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaky Wolverine trailer from Comicon

LightPhoenix

First Post
Add me to the list that can't stand Gambit. I don't think he really added anything to trhe X-Books.

That said, he'll probably work well in the Wolverine movie.

frankthedm

First Post
Damnit. X1's sabertooth fit the role perfectly. Figures they'd replace him with a puny hollywood 'face' now that the character will have a bigger role.

The_lurkeR

First Post
They seem to be rewriting history here.. I don't remember a number of those characters, like the Blob or Gambit being in the Weapon X program?

Just to be contrarian, I liked Gambit when he first came out, and didn't like Deadpool. I haven't read any 'X' comics in years and years though, so they've likely changed some I'm sure. For me the fact that Gambit was being done by Jim Lee/ Claremont vs. Deadpool by Rob Liefeld, probably greatly influenced my opinion.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I hate the dude too so that's five people already in this thread who feel that way. :)

Another one here who has never quite understood the Gambit worship. I think the character's okay, but not cult inspiring okay.

They seem to be rewriting history here.. I don't remember a number of those characters, like the Blob or Gambit being in the Weapon X program?

They've been rewriting history since the first X-Men. Logan isn't an American, either (and I don't think Creed is supposed to be, but somehow his kid was able to run in the presidential race, so who knows.) But no- neither Gambit nor the Blob have ever been part of Weapon X. I'm not even certain that Gambit is supposed to be part of it from the trailer (though the Blob clearly is meant to be).

horacethegrey

First Post
Damnit. X1's sabertooth fit the role perfectly. Figures they'd replace him with a puny hollywood 'face' now that the character will have a bigger role.
More like they replaced him with a much more capable actor. ;) Like I said, I had no problem with Tyler Mane playing the role in the first X-Men. But he was basically playing a seven foot thug, hardly any complexity actingwise. Whereas here, Sabertooth is a much more rounded character, as this movie will delve into the origins of his deadly feud w/ Wolverine. And for that, we need an actor of Liev Schreiber's capability.

Merkuri

Explorer
Wow, so they're bringing in the rivalry between Sabertooth and Wolverine? I recall watching X1 thinking, "Oh, so they got rid of the Sabertooth-Wolverine history, then? They don't seem to know each other."

I'm guessing that this movie is a prequel (haven't actually watched the trailer, judging from the comments). I wonder how they'll explain the fact that Sabertooth and Wolverine don't know each other in X1. Or maybe they'll just handwave it away.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
GAMBIT!!!

Okay, I felt that SOMEONE had to do it. You know, honestly, I can't really remember why I like Gambit so much. Think part of it was the accent from the original animated series. Would be cool to have an accent like that. But having not seen the series for a while, I can't tell you if that's the main reason, only reason, or part of the reason. I just had this like that never really went away.

In fact, when the first Xmen movie came out, I was like Why all the love for Wolverine [didn't care too much for him originally, but the movies sort of won me over].

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I wonder how they'll explain the fact that Sabertooth and Wolverine don't know each other in X1. Or maybe they'll just handwave it away.

They did make a rather large point in the first two movies about Wolverine's memory loss that even Professor X and Jean weren't capable of fixing. Presumably that will cover it (it's pretty much how they explained things in the comic, for that matter.)

Merkuri

Explorer
They did make a rather large point in the first two movies about Wolverine's memory loss that even Professor X and Jean weren't capable of fixing. Presumably that will cover it (it's pretty much how they explained things in the comic, for that matter.)

But why didn't Sabertooth remember? Did they both have memory loss? I expected some sort of "Why do you hate me so much?" "Don't you know?" type of exchange in the first movie because I expected Sabertooth to remember where Wolverine didn't. And there wasn't even a hint of that. No special treatment from Sabertooth. He paid more attention to Storm than Wolverine when he was left alone with the "helpless" X-Men in Lady Liberty's skull, and it seemed pretty obvious that he had no special connection to Wolverine.

Edit: There's also the bit in the second movie where
Striker says something along the lines of, "I thought you were one of a kind, but turns out not," and leaves Logan to fight his mind-controlled long-nailed equivalent.
If Sabertooth had ever been considered for the program I would've through Striker would have made a slightly different comment. The way he said it made it sound like Logan was the only possible candidate for the procedure at the time.

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
But why didn't Sabertooth remember? Did they both have memory loss?

In the comics they do, yes. Weapon X put all sorts of weird memory implants into their agents, and did a bunch of tampering with their heads to the point that they have memory loss, false memories, etc.

Wolverine and Sabretooth remember that they have some kind of past together (in the comics), and even remember some vague shared themes (such as Sabretooth killing Silver Fox- which turned out to be an implant), but the only ones who have seemingly ever worked completely through their memory tampering are John Wraith and Maverick- and even that is questionable, as Maverick once made a comment that he did sort through them, but in his later series we see that he hadn't completely. (Note that Wolverine- due to the Scarlet Witch's tampering in House of M has seemingly regained all his memories in the current MU.)

Presumably, the movie is just taking the stance that neither Wolvie nor Sabretooth even have any recollection of one another, as opposed to the kinda/sorta that they have in the comics.

(Spoilers removed in the next section because the movie has been out for 5 years now, and I don't think it's really spoiler worthy at this point. If anyone really has problems, I will certainly put them back in):

Edit: There's also the bit in the second movie where Striker says something along the lines of, "I thought you were one of a kind, but turns out not," and leaves Logan to fight his mind-controlled long-nailed equivalent. If Sabertooth had ever been considered for the program I would've through Striker would have made a slightly different comment. The way he said it made it sound like Logan was the only possible candidate for the procedure at the time.

I recall the quote- it came around the time he sicced Deathstrike on Logan (and what a wasted character that was in the movie). Still, the comment's vague enough that it could have been referring to pretty much anything. Maybe it was Logan's moral character or martial ability ("The best he is at what he does") that Stryker was referring to, rather than the similarities of the powersets of Logan and Creed. More likely they hadn't yet considered involving Sabretooth in the backstory of Weapon X in the movies at that point (which certainly seems to be the case regarding Sabes in the first movie). Most of the villains in X1-3 were just 2 dimensional constructs who existed only to serve as foils to the heroes.

Remove ads