D&D 5E Shapeshifting dragons - only metallic?

hawkeyefan

Legend
She is a Black Shadow Dragon, and uses Major Image to project the form of a drow when interacting with the PCs.

That's right, thanks. Shortly after posting, I realized that it was likely illusions due to the whole shadow thing.
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] How about a dragon of mixed brass/blue heritage?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
If I recall correctly there is a half-dragon template in the MM to use for when a shapeshifted dragon mates with a non-dragon. I think it includes chromatic dragons. Also, the green dragon entry (or something on those pages) implies at least one of them having such an ability. Probably the one already mentioned in this thread.
This is an interesting point. The example used in the Half-Dragon entry is a half-red, even though the red dragon entry does not list Change Shape as one if its abilities.

Also interestingly, in 5th edition all metallic dragons have the shapechanging ability, not just bronze, gold, and silvers.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The 4th edition Draconomicon 2 includes the following piece on draconic shapechanging (on page 219):

"Mercury and steel dragons are natural shapechangers, but other metallic dragons, particularly golds and silvers, can also learn to change shape. Even a few chromatics have this ability.(emphasis mine).

Adding change shape to a dragon does not dramatically increase the dragon's power, but shapechanging can serve your story. If you want to have a shapechanging dragon, you need not replace another power with it. If you want the characters to have a chance of being able to discern the dragon's true nature, you can limit the ability or have the dragon retain a hint of its draconic appearance."

How much more canon do you need?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
See the post above mine.

Of course, the way I run dragons every single one is unique for the most part.

Jadejax is the epitome of a green dragon, bad tempered, rude, cruel and mean. She has established her territory over a good portion of the ruins of Cal Trinion and the surrounding forest. She has enslaved the remmants of the Caldran tribes and several gnoll clans pay tribute to her as well. Jadejax was born with the rare dragonish ability to shapechange, though the only form she can assume is that of an attractive 1/2 elf female dressed in green.

CapnZapp

Legend
This is an interesting point. The example used in the Half-Dragon entry is a half-red, even though the red dragon entry does not list Change Shape as one if its abilities.
Neither does the Half-Dragon. I would say this is because the template neither adds nor subtracts an ability such as "Change Shape".

Of course, you might be thinking of the fluff entry, starting by saying "When a dragon in polymorphed form mates with another creature, the union sometimes produces halfdragon offspring", and use that to justify the entry. However, since the text continues "A creature might also transform into a half-dragon [for other reasons]" that can hardly be used as conclusive evidence.

In fact, since the halfdragon is based on the non-draconic half and not the dragon half, it would suggest no half-dragons get shapeshifting abilities. And this is precisely what the rules would lead to, if applied to a Gold Dragon - a human half gold dragon only gains senses, resistances and a (pitiful) breath attack.

But thanks for the analysis!

CapnZapp

Legend
The 4th edition Draconomicon 2 includes the following piece on draconic shapechanging (on page 219):

"Mercury and steel dragons are natural shapechangers, but other metallic dragons, particularly golds and silvers, can also learn to change shape. Even a few chromatics have this ability.(emphasis mine).
Thank you.

I gather this what Illithidbix was referring to.

How much more canon do you need?
Ideally?

An example of a chromatic "natural shapechanger" from an official TSR/WotC module, campaign book or article (Perhaps these draconomicons contain such an exceptional creature?)

What is the green dragon's name? (As mentioned upthread by Illithidbix)

Again thanks!

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Half-dragons have never had a change shape ability. I was referring to the fact that somehow a red dragon knocked up a human and made a half-red.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Thank you.

I gather this what Illithidbix was referring to.

Ideally?

An example of a chromatic "natural shapechanger" from an official TSR/WotC module, campaign book or article (Perhaps these draconomicons contain such an exceptional creature?)

What is the green dragon's name? (As mentioned upthread by Illithidbix)

Again thanks!

You're moving the goalposts. A precedent/formally published rule has been located. That's all you asked for.

Given that Dragon Magazine stuff was written almost entirely by amateurs, I don't see why such an item would be more binding or hold more value than the 4e Draconomicon.

The green dragon that changed shape was Cyan Bloodbane, who disguised himself as a Silvanesti elf and advisor to their ruler. Of course, tormenting the ruler of Silvanesti was basically Cyan Bloodbane's whole schtick.

And keep in mind that Bloodbane was just a regular green dragon, not even a special one or dragon overlord. Keep in mind also that this happened in a novel, not a game supplement. And even there, he used a magic amulet to change shape.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Honestly., I'm as surprised as you are how closely D&D books and materials have adhered to the "only bronze, silver, and gold dragons can naturally polymorph" paradigm. It seems a really odd thing to hold as a sacred cow for so long.

Even in 5e, where they have opened up the ability to all metallics, the chromatics get left out for some reason. I don't really understand why, especially since, as the 4e book pointed out, adding a shapechanging ability toa dragon doesn't really increase its power much and can make for a great story.

Remove ads