• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Share Your Thoughts On My Warlock Houserules

Justin Fike

First Post
The Warlock is one of the most flavorful classes in 5e. On the surface it appears to offer many options for customizing a unique character. However once you take a closer look at its mechanics you realize that the class has a small list of optimal choices, and a lot of less than effective traps for the unwary. Therefore, at my table I’ve implemented the following changes to RaW, and my Warlock player has never been happier. Her Warlock feels like a much more distinct and unique character, and has an easier time contributing to the party throughout the session without overshadowing anyone.

Houserule Goals:

• Make Patron choice have a stronger influence on a character's play style.
  • Make Blade Pact viable without outright requiring multiclassing.
  • Fix the Invocation spell options.
  • Slightly reduce reliance on short rests, to address the problem of Warlocks being either OP spell spammers or boring cantrip users depending on the frequency of what ultimately should be a story-focused mechanic (when and how often the party can take a rest).

Patrons:

• All patron spells are added to spells known at appropriate levels.
    • The patron spell lists are fairly well balanced, and include a number of flavorful spells that are rarely picked on their own but which can add a lot to the flavor of the Warlock. Being able to occasionally cast Clairvoyance or Dominate Beast is hardly game breaking, but helps the Warlock feel distinct due to their patron choice.
  • The Warlock gains a Patron spell slot at 1st level. This slot is of the same level as your Pact Magic slots, increasing when they do, but can only be used to cast a spell from your patron's list. You gain a new patron slot at 11th level. Patron slots refresh on a long rest.
    • Again, the patron lists generally contain effective, flavorful spells. Gaining one long rest spell option drawn from that list is hardly game breaking, but helps take a little pressure off of the need for short rests, and ensures that the Warlock is consistently casting spells from his patron's list.

Invocation Spells:

• All spells gained through devoting an invocation to acquire it, such as Bewitching Whispers, can now be cast one per long rest without expending a warlock spell slot.
    • Everyone agrees that the Invocation gained spell options are horrible, mostly because it makes no sense to devoting one of your limited, powerful Invocations to simply gaining the option to burn one of your limited spell slots once per long rest. Keeping the long rest restriction maintains the balance factor, but allowing the Warlock to cast the spell without expending a slot suddenly makes many of these invocations attractive options for players that want to expand their spell casting options rather than spending Invocations on other utility focused options.

Blade Pact:

• When choosing the Pact of the Blade at 3rd level the warlock gains proficiency with medium armor
  • When wielding their pact weapon they may use their Charisma instead of either Strength or Dexterity for attack and damage rolls.
  • At 6th level they gain the Extra Attack feature.
  • Pact of the Blade Warlocks CANNOT select the agonizing blast invocation.
    • Do a quick Google search for advice on building a Bladelock, and you'll find that most suggestions begin with “start as a Fighter at level 1, then...” The Fighter's armor proficiencies, fighting style, and other benefits go a long way towards making the Warlock a workable melee character. While this might work for some character concepts, many players would prefer to simply play a Warlock, and shouldn't be penalized for not wanting to multiclass.
    • Medium armor is a moderate but helpful AC increase.
    • The ability to use CHA for attack and damage already exists with a little juggling to gain the shillelagh cantrip. This helps to reduce MAD, but not eliminate it. A Bladelock still needs a decent Dex for all the usual reasons, and a solid Con score.
    • The Bladelock is literally the only melee character in the PHB forced to expend resources to gain Extra Attack. Even bards can get it automatically by choosing their melee path. This is fixed by granting it automatically at 6th level, matching the Valor Bard. This frees up an invocation for one of the new combat options listed below.
    • Removing the option to add agonizing blast to EB offsets some of these advantages. EB still remains a reasonable choice as a ranged replacement, and Repelling Blast can still give it some control utility if desired, but now Blade pact focuses on enabling reasonable but not Fighter level melee combat instead of ranged blasting.
  • New Invocations:
    • Pact Combat (Pre-req: Level 3, Pact of the Blade)
      • Your patron provides you some of the skill of ancient fighting masters. Select a Fighting Style from the Following List: Dueling, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Weapon Master, Defense. This fighting style lasts until you take a Long rest, at which point you may select a new Fighting Style. You may only select this invocation once. You may not select or gain the benefit of any fighting style more than once, even if it comes from another source.
    • Eldritch Strike (Pre-req: Level 5, Pact of the Blade, have not already chosen Eldritch Shield)
      • You can briefly shape raw eldritch power into a blade of force. When you make an attack with a melee weapon in one hand while wielding nothing in the other, you can make a second attack as a bonus action. This attack deals 1d4+Cha damage.
    • Eldritch Shield (Pre-req: Level 5, Pact of the Blade, have not already chosen Eldritch Strike)
      • You wrap yourself in a protective eldritch ward. When you wield a melee weapon in on hand while wielding nothing in the other, you gain a +2 to AC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin Fike

First Post
So far in my game (level 7 currently) they've been great. The warlock isn't as tanky and can't put out the same burst damage as the fighter, but has a lot of fun and interesting affects that fit her character. Also it just seems like there's less focus on mechanical issues (can we take a short rest yet, etc) and more just playing the character than I've dealt with in other games i've run with Warlocks in the party. Although that probably is due at least partly to the player.

Anyway, it certainly hasn't seemed like any of these changes has unbalanced the game at all.

Lanliss

Explorer
Have you perhaps considered a lesser Smite type invocation, that allows you to burn a spell slot for some extra damage on your attack? I think it would balance fine, vs. A Paladin smite, since a Warlock has fewer to burn. Here is a rough try from me.

Infused strike (requires: Blade Pact feature)
Choose from the listed damage types when you choose this invocation. The damage type can be changed after a Short or long rest. You may use a Warlock spell slot to deal (slot level)d6 extra damage with your Pact weapon.

cold, acid, poison, fire, lightning

Justin Fike

First Post
I had considered some kind of smite option, but it just didn't seem worthwhile given how few slots they have. But I like the addition of a range of damage types that you included. It still doesn't seem like an especially strong option, but at least offers more versatility.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
They're alright, but they don't allow for my preferred Blade Pact Warlock build. Heavy armor, Great sword wielding tank warlock. :)

zeldafan42

First Post
My group has been house ruling that Warlocks automatically know the spells from their patron list for a while now. It's definitely a good change. Helps make warlocks more versatile.

The rest of your changes seem pretty solid. I certainly wouldn't mind playing a warlock in one of your games.

Xeviat

Hero
Houserule Goals:

• Make Patron choice have a stronger influence on a character's play style.
  • Make Blade Pact viable without outright requiring multiclassing.
  • Fix the Invocation spell options.
  • Slightly reduce reliance on short rests, to address the problem of Warlocks being either OP spell spammers or boring cantrip users depending on the frequency of what ultimately should be a story-focused mechanic (when and how often the party can take a rest).

Good goals, except the last. I'm not really sure about that. The DMG does state that 2 short rests per day is an assumption. If your group isn't getting that, then the fighters and warlocks are weakened, and it becomes better to be a long rest focused class. I'm actually looking to do the exact opposite.

Patrons:

• All patron spells are added to spells known at appropriate levels.
  • The Warlock gains a Patron spell slot at 1st level. This slot is of the same level as your Pact Magic slots, increasing when they do, but can only be used to cast a spell from your patron's list. You gain a new patron slot at 11th level. Patron slots refresh on a long rest.

I can support the first dot. Like the sorcerer, the warlock suffers from a restricted spells known list; the bard gets 22, so shooting for that area seems like it would be okay. This helps them so they can have thematic spells while still grabbing the most effective spells.

I'm not sure about the second dot, though. I don't feel like the warlock needs more spell slots. If you convert warlock spell slots to MP, they're pretty much right along side the wizard, even with the wizard's Arcane Recovery (they're a bit behind during the teens, but they end up right along side them early game and end game). But that's assuming 2 short rests per day.

Justin Fike;6967596Invocation Spells: [LIST said:
[*]All spells gained through devoting an invocation to acquire it, such as Bewitching Whispers, can now be cast one per long rest without expending a warlock spell slot.
[/LIST]

I'm not really certain about this. Aside from a few choice invocations (more on this later), invocations are about gaining options, not power. Many are a 1st or 2nd level spell at-will, but they're not too powerful. Others are learning a new spell outside your repertoire, but you're limited in how often you can use it. Others are solid utility things. Only Agonizing Blast, Lifedrinker, and Thirsting Blade really add power to your character. If these are the stand outs, I'd rather look at them (more later).

Justin Fike;6967596Blade Pact: [LIST said:
[*]When choosing the Pact of the Blade at 3rd level the warlock gains proficiency with medium armor
[*]When wielding their pact weapon they may use their Charisma instead of either Strength or Dexterity for attack and damage rolls.
[*]At 6th level they gain the Extra Attack feature.
[*]Pact of the Blade Warlocks CANNOT select the agonizing blast invocation.

• The Bladelock is literally the only melee character in the PHB forced to expend resources to gain Extra Attack. Even bards can get it automatically by choosing their melee path. This is fixed by granting it automatically at 6th level, matching the Valor Bard. This frees up an invocation for one of the new combat options listed below.
[/LIST]

You're losing me here. I do support giving them Medium Armor at 3rd level. The core ability is only really giving you proficiency in one (floating) weapon. Pact of the Tome gives you 3 cantrips. Based on feats, where 2 cantrips is worth (the better part of) half a feat, and armor proficiency is half a feat, and 1 weapon proficiency is 1/4th of a feat, I'm completely okay with giving medium armor to them. I gave the warlock who last wanted to do blade pact the same ability. It's pretty needed.

I can support Cha to hit and damage instead of Str or Dex. Valor bards and templary clerics don't get that, so I'm not 100% sold. As for agonizing blast, what if they took it at 2nd level? Pact Boons aren't chosen till 3rd level. Seems odd.

Then there's extra attack. You say that no one else has to spend a resource on getting extra attack. Well, I disagree. The classes which gain extra attack, generally speaking, gain only extra attack at that level (half casters get 2nd level spells then too, that's true, but the subclasses that get it at 6th level don't get anything else). Take a look at the Warlock's 6th level. That's when they're getting Misty Escape (reaction invisibility+teleport once per short rest), Dark One's Own Luck (once per short rest +1d10 to an ability check or a saving throw), or Entropic Ward (impose disadvantage on one attack against you, if miss, gain advantage to attack them, once per short rest). Do you not consider these to be full abilities? Maybe one could argue that they're comparable to 2nd level spells, but that's still a 2nd level spell per short rest (so 3 a day) instead of the Ranger or Paladin's 2 3rd level spell slots. It's a tough call.

(2d6 or 1d8+4)*2 does compare against (1d10+4)*2 (agonizing blast vs thirsting blade), but it is slightly behind if you're going for a Dex build (less necessary with medium armor).

New Invocations:

• Pact Combat (Pre-req: Level 3, Pact of the Blade)
    • Your patron provides you some of the skill of ancient fighting masters. Select a Fighting Style from the Following List: Dueling, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Weapon Master, Defense. This fighting style lasts until you take a Long rest, at which point you may select a new Fighting Style. You may only select this invocation once. You may not select or gain the benefit of any fighting style more than once, even if it comes from another source.
  • Eldritch Strike (Pre-req: Level 5, Pact of the Blade, have not already chosen Eldritch Shield)
    • You can briefly shape raw eldritch power into a blade of force. When you make an attack with a melee weapon in one hand while wielding nothing in the other, you can make a second attack as a bonus action. This attack deals 1d4+Cha damage.
  • Eldritch Shield (Pre-req: Level 5, Pact of the Blade, have not already chosen Eldritch Strike)
    • You wrap yourself in a protective eldritch ward. When you wield a melee weapon in on hand while wielding nothing in the other, you gain a +2 to AC.

Again, I'm not sure about these, but only because I think Eldritch Invocations should be for Utility and Options, not power.

How do I reconcile Agonizing Blast, Lifedrinker, and Thirsting Blade? I remove them. I also remove Eldritch Blast from the cantrips, and move it to 2nd level as a class ability (and I remove 1 invocation known from the Warlock, starting at 2nd level).

Eldritch Blast
Starting at 2nd level, your reserve of eldritch power becomes so innate that you can always tap into it at a moment's notice. This manifests as, along with your Invocations, your Eldritch Blast. As an action, you can make an Eldritch Blast attack, as long as you have a free hand or an arcane implement in hand. Eldritch blast is a spell attack, utilizing your Charisma modifier for its attack roll, that deals 1d10 plus your Charisma modifier force damage. It has a range of 120 feet. At 5th level, whenever you use your action to attack with Eldritch Blast, you can attack twice with Eldritch Blast, and this increases as you gain levels: at 11th level, you can attack three times with Eldritch Blast, and at 16th level you can attack 4 times with Eldritch Blast.

Then, here's how I adjust Pact of the Blade

Pact of the Blade
You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand, allowing you to attack with your Eldritch Blast in melee. While wielding your pact weapon, it deals 1d12 plus your Charisma modifier damage and deals your choice of slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage (chosen at the time you manifest it). If you make a ranged attack with Eldritch Blast, your pact weapon dissipates and must be summoned again. It also disappears if it is more than 5 feet away ... *snip* You also gain proficiency in medium armor.

Last, I'd add invocations to allow the Blade Pact Warlock to throw their blade (20/60 range) as an attack, and one which allows you to choose from other damage types.

Then, to sort of make up for taking away agonizing blast, I'd add more blast options to modify eldritch blast. Eldritch Spear and Repelling Blast would be options that you have to choose, possibly changed into Actions of their own. Then choices for a small 10 ft radius bust attack, and other blast options, could be added, to bring back some of their 3rd Edition toys.

TL:DR: I'm not sure that Warlocks need more spells. Blade Pact warlock is lacking. Heck, I think Pact of the Chain needs to get scaling HP on their familiar, lest it only be a toy of low levels. At least Tome's extra cantrips are useful across the game (though Eldritch Blast does overshadow the attack cantrips).

Dausuul

Legend
Houserule Goals:
Before I even read the house rules, you get XP for starting off with a specific set of goals. :)

Now, let's see what we've got...

All patron spells are added to spells known at appropriate levels.

Adds versatility without much affecting power, and means that spells like fireball are not a "spell tax" on warlocks. I like it.

The Warlock gains a Patron spell slot at 1st level. This slot is of the same level as your Pact Magic slots, increasing when they do, but can only be used to cast a spell from your patron's list. You gain a new patron slot at 11th level. Patron slots refresh on a long rest.

Definitely boosts the patron flavor, and the long rest refresh time keeps it from being a serious balance issue. Again, I like it.

All spells gained through devoting an invocation to acquire it, such as Bewitching Whispers, can now be cast one per long rest without expending a warlock spell slot.

Hell yeah. This is a brilliant solution to making those crappy spell-swap invocations worthwhile. Very simple, yet it totally changes the dynamic. I wholeheartedly approve.

When choosing the Pact of the Blade at 3rd level the warlock gains proficiency with medium armor
When wielding their pact weapon they may use their Charisma instead of either Strength or Dexterity for attack and damage rolls.
At 6th level they gain the Extra Attack feature.
Pact of the Blade Warlocks CANNOT select the agonizing blast invocation.

Hmm. These seem like pretty good changes, with the caveat that you may need to keep an eye on the Lifedrinker invocation if the campaign reaches level 12. It's a substantial bonus if you don't have to split your stat boosts between a physical stat and Charisma. Maybe make Lifedrinker a flat +3 damage?

Pact Combat (Pre-req: Level 3, Pact of the Blade)
Your patron provides you some of the skill of ancient fighting masters. Select a Fighting Style from the Following List: Dueling, Two-Weapon Fighting, Great Weapon Master, Defense. This fighting style lasts until you take a Long rest, at which point you may select a new Fighting Style. You may only select this invocation once. You may not select or gain the benefit of any fighting style more than once, even if it comes from another source.

Don't like this one. First, I'm concerned that with the bladelock changes you've already made, it's edging into overpowered. Second, it's an "invocation tax," just as Agonizing Blast is for non-bladelocks. Third, fighting styles are the signature feature of the martial classes; warlocks should have their own distinctive approach to combat.

Eldritch Strike (Pre-req: Level 5, Pact of the Blade, have not already chosen Eldritch Shield)

You can briefly shape raw eldritch power into a blade of force. When you make an attack with a melee weapon in one hand while wielding nothing in the other, you can make a second attack as a bonus action. This attack deals 1d4+Cha damage.

Eldritch Shield (Pre-req: Level 5, Pact of the Blade, have not already chosen Eldritch Strike)

You wrap yourself in a protective eldritch ward. When you wield a melee weapon in on hand while wielding nothing in the other, you gain a +2 to AC.

Two concerns about these. First, they strongly incentivize bladelocks to use two-handed weapons, since that's the only kind you can use at full power without blowing an invocation. Second, they're kind of boring; they just replicate what a martial character can do out of the box.

Since you're already changing bladelocks, why not simply grant shield proficiency and allow bladelocks to have up to two pact weapons? That enables all three combat modes (two-handed weapon, sword and board, dual wielding) to stand on equal footing, without needing custom invocations to fill the gap.

Last edited:

Remove ads