• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silly thought on Monks

emoplato

First Post
PrCs started out as a DM's call optional rule. Now everything's solved with PrCs.
I'm slowly but surely starting to come to the conclusion that killing the whole notion of PrCs (or at least drastically clipping its wings) is in order.
You then may want to look at Pathfinder, but I would argue they have the opposite problem in most cases.

Dandu

First Post
PrCs started out as a DM's call optional rule. Now everything's solved with PrCs.
I'm slowly but surely starting to come to the conclusion that killing the whole notion of PrCs (or at least drastically clipping its wings) is in order.

Why u hate monks dawg?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
PrC's started out what? When did that happen?

There was a time when PrC's weren't standard to a build? Must have been before my time, and I'm old!

nonsi256

Explorer
PrC's started out what? When did that happen?

There was a time when PrC's weren't standard to a build? Must have been before my time, and I'm old!

In the core trio, PrCs appear in the DMG - the book that only the DM is supposed to look inside, remember?
There's a reason why the DMG is a separate book, you know.
(just to be clear, I'm talking about 3.5e)
Back in the late 80s, the days of the boxed sets, the days before the internet, if something was in the DMG and the DM didn't talk about it - it didn't exist.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I've always played Monks as skirmishers or caster-killers. Take advantage of that fast move, get up in a caster's grill, grapple and wail until caster is dead.

Of course, I also multi-class liberally, so there's almost always some fighter, rogue, or psychic warrior in there.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My usual is mixing a Dex/Wis/Con Monk with PsyWar or some kind of arcanist, the Lucid Cenobite or Kensai PrCl, and adding a polearm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads