• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Simulation vs Game - Where should D&D 5e aim?

Ahnehnois

First Post
In that context, and taking account of the Profession skill, please describe economics in D&D 3e world, and what sort of economic system the enforced egalitarianism of all professions and random monthly income leads to.
A ludicrous and nonsensical one, I imagine. Just like the implications of every other skill, including Survival. I mean, if feeding yourself only takes a DC 10 Survival check, surely the Neanderthals would still be with us? It's fantasy.

Sadras

Legend
I mean, if feeding yourself only takes a DC 10 Survival check, surely the Neanderthals would still be with us?

Well difficult terrain and weather conditions might have influenced the DC, also I tend to think that the experience gained from combat from fighting with wild boar, rogue chickens and other Neanderthals was not sufficient to increase their levels much, which means they did not have the necessary ranks in Survival.
Low Intelligence might have also played a roll especially if they were worshipping the 3.x gods.

Obryn

Hero
A ludicrous and nonsensical one, I imagine. Just like the implications of every other skill, including Survival. I mean, if feeding yourself only takes a DC 10 Survival check, surely the Neanderthals would still be with us? It's fantasy.

Well difficult terrain and weather conditions might have influenced the DC, also I tend to think that the experience gained from combat from fighting with wild boar, rogue chickens and other Neanderthals was not sufficient to increase their levels much, which means they did not have the necessary ranks in Survival.
Low Intelligence might have also played a roll especially if they were worshipping the 3.x gods.
... Are the two of you honestly discussing how 3e's game rules can be used to model complex real world anthropology?

Ahnehnois

First Post
... Are the two of you honestly discussing how 3e's game rules can be used to model complex real world anthropology?
No, I'm discussing how they can't.

Modeling on the scale of a person's actions is a lot easier than modeling on the scale of a species' history.

No, I'm discussing how they can't.

Modeling on the scale of a person's actions is a lot easier than modeling on the scale of a species' history.

And modelling one specific type of person's actions is a lot easier than modelling everyone's actions. D&D is not and has never been set up to model people who aren't adventurers. Which is why different rules for NPCs are needed in D&D.

Remove ads