Sky Captain -- anyone heard of this?

Reprisal

First Post
Quoth Abraxas:
The flying robots look almost identical to flying robots found in very early (1930s?) Max Fleischer Superman cartoons.

I think I saw that one, wasn't Tesla the one who unleashed them on Metropolis?

Something funny about one of the great scientists of our time fighting Superman because Edison didn't like him.

- Rep.

John Crichton

First Post
WayneLigon said:
WOW! I heard about this film probably more than a year ago on Ain't It Cool News, except then it was simply called 'World of Tomorrow'. Man, I can't wait for it. Pure serial movie gold. I wish we'd had a preview of this on our RoTK print.
Right on.

I didn't think it was this far along. When I go see RotK again I hope the trailer is there even though I've already seen it on the official site. A few of my buds will get a real kick out of this. :cool:

Last edited:

tetsujin28

First Post
Reprisal said:
I think I saw that one, wasn't Tesla the one who unleashed them on Metropolis?

Something funny about one of the great scientists of our time fighting Superman because Edison didn't like him.

- Rep.
Nah, it was just some random mad scientist. It's a great cartoon.

s/LaSH

First Post
Crimson Skies! Woo! Nathan Zachary rides -

Oh, not Crimson Skies. Well, not quite. I'll forgive it though, it look faaascinating. Having watched the trailer (and recurrently failed to find any way to save it) I think the style is perfectly anachronistic. The bit where everyone points at the sky? Why do they do that? Who cares? It's what you do!

Hopefully they won't use the Stargate SG-1 theme for the final movie, however.

I love the old Crimson Skies PC game...

s/LaSH said:
Hopefully they won't use the Stargate SG-1 theme for the final movie, however.
It's extremely common to use someone else's music in your trailers. The Fellowship of the Rings trailers used the Gladiator soundtrack, for instance. The Dragonheart theme was used in about a billion trailers over the years, although I haven't heard it lately. Must have gotten old, finally.

2d6 said:
I think both of these movies are at least future guilty pleasures. The sad thing is that they will most likely do poorly at the box Office.
Why do you think that? I think clearly the studios are hoping that it won't, and expect that it won't. Star power like Jude Law, Gwennyth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie all together in a special effects blockbuster; that don't come cheap.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Joshua Dyal said:
Why do you think that? I think clearly the studios are hoping that it won't, and expect that it won't. Star power like Jude Law, Gwennyth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie all together in a special effects blockbuster; that don't come cheap.

Pulp Fantasy at its best!

I also think it will do well at the box office BUT the home CD market is being targeted too these days, the big screen does not see the $s that CD do and is starting to be just a median for promotion.

The clip makes me think of Jules Verne books.

Last edited:

The home CD market... Certificate of Deposit? The movie's soundtrack?

Or do you mean DVD? What are you saying? I'd disagree that the theatrical release of movies is just a promotion media for the sales of the DVD, if that's what you mean. Theatrical releases are still big, big money.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Yeah, if a film doesn't do well in the theaters, it's extremely rare that it's going to do well on DVD. Take a look at the record breaker DVDs when it comes to sales, and you'll notice that most of them were blockbuster movies to begin with.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Joshua Dyal said:
The home CD market... Certificate of Deposit? The movie's soundtrack?

Or do you mean DVD? What are you saying? I'd disagree that the theatrical release of movies is just a promotion media for the sales of the DVD, if that's what you mean. Theatrical releases are still big, big money.

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking about, damn plastic coasters. :)

DVD sales for movies are out paceing dollars taken by theatrical releases and the DVDs that are selling are being used to generating new releases of the same type and to target the same audience/buyer of the DVD for additioanl sells. Basicly the DVDs being purchased today are influencing what movies will be made next year and on screen in 2005 and on DVD soon after. On top of that last I heard only 50% of homes in the US has a DVD player.

I have to see if I can find the story about it.

and here is a link...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/20/eveningnews/main579020.shtml

Last edited:

Remove ads