[Skywalker discussion] What would "break" Star Wars for you?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Interesting. I certainly see some of those points as valid, but others to me felt like the answer was yes and. Just not in the way some people may have hoped. I also valued some of those No's because of how it turned the expected or even fan assumed outcome on its ear.

I think it just comes down to tastes and interpretation.

Thanks for the that.

Retreater

Legend
Interesting. I certainly see some of those points as valid, but others to me felt like the answer was yes and. Just not in the way some people may have hoped. I also valued some of those No's because of how it turned the expected or even fan assumed outcome on its ear.

I think it just comes down to tastes and interpretation.

Thanks for the that.

I get that some of them might be "no, but..." more than "yes, and..."

But certainly for my tastes, every available opportunity to make things more interesting went in the exact opposite direction, shutting down my interest for what might happen next.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
What could break it for me? I think Vader Resurrection is up there, maybe that dumb Jar Jar Sith theory being true would hurt too.

Oh... and Deadpool. I love Deadpool, but if he randomly showed up in a Star Wars movie, that would also break it for me.

Yeah this would do it for me.

Also, the force being measurable by a test for tiny amounts of microscopic creatures... oh wait.

While I'm tempted to rag on more prequel stuff I'll try to stay on the topic at hand.

I'll simply sum up with this. I want the send off to feel fantastic and heroic
like Luke tossing his lightsaber away and rejecting the temptation of the dark side, and that inspiring his father to save him and redeem a part of himself lost forever.
I don't know if it would "break" star wars for me if it didn't but I'd be disappointed.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
When he sold Star Wars to Disney, it was reported he gave them his outline for the Final Trilogy.

“[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force… If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

George is right about one thing. I would have hated it.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm afraid that my feelings on the final trilogy are set.
The initial damage was done when JJA gave me a poor rehash of a ANH instead of an original SW tale. It was cemented with that drivel they called TLJ. So I'm not giving them my $ this time.

Does this "break SW" for me?
No.
I will be a fan of NH/ESB/RotJ (& all the imagination those inspire) until the day I die.
And I'm entertained by Episodes I-III, Rogue One, hopefully The Mandolorian, any console/PC game where I get to fly the various ships, & the various Miniatures based games.
I also hope that there's some little kid out there who is (somehow) inspired by this current wave of SW who'll entertain me in 20-30 years.

As for this trilogy?
I'm throwing it into the trash heap along side The Holiday Special, 99% of the EU material, fanfic, the GoT finale, & Highlander 2.
(Unless there's a post credit scene where Luke/somebody wakes up revealing this crap to be a dream sequence)

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm afraid that my feelings on the final trilogy are set.
The initial damage was done when JJA gave me a poor rehash of a ANH instead of an original SW tale. It was cemented with that drivel they called TLJ. So I'm not giving them my $ this time.

Does this "break SW" for me?
No.
I will be a fan of NH/ESB/RotJ (& tall he imagination those inspire) until the day I die.
And I'm entertained by Episodes I-III, Rogue One, hopefully The Mandolorian, any console/PC game where I get to fly the various ships, & the various Miniatures based games.
I also hope that there's some little kid out there who is (somehow) inspired by this current wave of SW who'll entertain me in 20-30 years.

As for this trilogy?
I'm throwing it into the trash heap along side The Holiday Special, 99% of the EU material, fanfic, the GoT finale, & Highlander 2.
(Unless there's a post credit scene where Luke/somebody wakes up revealing this crap to be a dream sequence)

Some fanfic is better.

Zardnaar

Legend
For me, Disney Wars is broken.

I remember back in the late 70's in an interview about why his movie was episode three, George Lucas stated his Star Wars was always planned to be nine episodes. HE was doing the main trilogy, then the prequals, then the sequels. When he sold Star Wars to Disney, it was reported he gave them his outline for the Final Trilogy. Disney says Thanks, but we will do it OUR WAY NOW.

For me, the Thrawn Series of books and the Dark Empire comics is MORE true Star Wars than Disney's ever will be.

If you like Dark Empire you might like IX.

If TFA ripped off ANH, IX seems to have a lot of Dark Empire elements.

Remove ads