[Skywalker discussion] What would "break" Star Wars for you?

Zardnaar

Legend
As you have stated, these sequel trilogies feel like cheap rip-offs of other Star Wars sources, IMO.

Nothing feels authentic nor original.

The sequels to me is Broken.

All the king's men can't put it back together again (Humpty Dumpty reference).

Have you looked closely at the OG Star Destroyers in the trailer? There's something on the bottom you might recognize from the old EU.

Predating the last trailer but it actually doubles down on his observation.

The plot is hitting a lot of the points of Dark Empire along with refluffed specific elements of it like Palps returning, hyperspace superweapons, hidden fleets, bigger better Star Destroyers, Super Star destroyers, Star destroyers with superlasers, new darkside order. There's a few more as well apparently.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Rogue One was basically two short movies back-to-back; one was really awful and the other was kickin' rad but ultimately sunk because the first half failed to get me to care for the characters in any meaningful way. Solo was... fine. It was... competent. I daresay some parts even approached fun. But ultimately it was completely unnecessary and the behind the scenes drama is probably what ruined it (it could have turned out as either Ant-Man or the most recent Fantastic Four and ended up somewhere squarely in-between).

The Force Awakens was good; yeah it's a little fan-servicey and very re-hashy but that's exactly J.J. Abrams' shtick, it's the one thing he probably does exceedingly well (see also: Super 8) and I personally thought it was exactly what the franchise needed after the prequels basically destroyed anyone's reason to have any faith in the future films. The Last Jedi would have been the perfect Star Wars movie had all the boring business on Canto Bight been about half as long and twice as meaningful in the long run, but it filled at least part of a hole for me and made the universe a little darker and I appreciated that. I will note that KoTOR II is my favorite Star Wars game so I'm definitely not adverse to some deconstruction. That most of the criticism of the movie is flat out factually incorrect (the whole "Rey never fails" thing being the most absurd one as she spends almost the entire movie objectively failing in most of her goals and the tests set out for her) and/or politically motivated makes it easier to ignore, especially considering the film still did exceedingly well, was a critical and commercial success, vocal minority, etc. etc.

Also, again, J.J.'s only really a great filmmaker when he's doing clear homage and while I think that was perfectly fine for TFA that's not going to really fly here, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be a fitting if not amazing end to the trilogy.

I think about the only thing that would cause the film to "fail" for me would be if Kylo is redeemed and Rey falls; or maybe if she has to sacrifice herself for his redemption, at least if they try to play it as a "Kylo was the real main character all along" twist which knowing J.J. is at least... kinda plausible?

Zardnaar

Legend
Rogue One was basically two short movies back-to-back; one was really awful and the other was kickin' rad but ultimately sunk because the first half failed to get me to care for the characters in any meaningful way. Solo was... fine. It was... competent. I daresay some parts even approached fun. But ultimately it was completely unnecessary and the behind the scenes drama is probably what ruined it (it could have turned out as either Ant-Man or the most recent Fantastic Four and ended up somewhere squarely in-between).

The Force Awakens was good; yeah it's a little fan-servicey and very re-hashy but that's exactly J.J. Abrams' shtick, it's the one thing he probably does exceedingly well (see also: Super 8) and I personally thought it was exactly what the franchise needed after the prequels basically destroyed anyone's reason to have any faith in the future films. The Last Jedi would have been the perfect Star Wars movie had all the boring business on Canto Bight been about half as long and twice as meaningful in the long run, but it filled at least part of a hole for me and made the universe a little darker and I appreciated that. I will note that KoTOR II is my favorite Star Wars game so I'm definitely not adverse to some deconstruction. That most of the criticism of the movie is flat out factually incorrect (the whole "Rey never fails" thing being the most absurd one as she spends almost the entire movie objectively failing in most of her goals and the tests set out for her) and/or politically motivated makes it easier to ignore, especially considering the film still did exceedingly well, was a critical and commercial success, vocal minority, etc. etc.

Also, again, J.J.'s only really a great filmmaker when he's doing clear homage and while I think that was perfectly fine for TFA that's not going to really fly here, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be a fitting if not amazing end to the trilogy.

I think about the only thing that would cause the film to "fail" for me would be if Kylo is redeemed and Rey falls; or maybe if she has to sacrifice herself for his redemption, at least if they try to play it as a "Kylo was the real main character all along" twist which knowing J.J. is at least... kinda plausible?

TLJ kind of had a third part of a trilogy vibe to it not part two.

If they spilt it into two movies and tied it I TFA better might have worked better.

Rewatched TFA recently and they made an effort to plant seeds in it which could have been interesting. Expectations subverted.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I don't know if I have said this before. I feel it more and more, that extensive reading or knowledge of the old spin off books is some of the cause of discontent.

Both from people I know, and following topics on the forums. People who read most of that content seem to lean on the "#NotmySWs" side of things.

I think I read a couple of books, both more about Bobba Fett in the aftermath and I feel really good about this new branch of the saga. Sure, there are things I imagined I could have liked better. Alternate time lines for this story. Canto Bite that I thought was just... ugh. I mean, yes, it helps establish this big seedy underbelly of the Galaxy, that good and evil aren't always clear cut. I like those sort of worlds. It just seemed to ruin the pacing for me.

Every time i have this discussion, someone steps in with an old book story line. I see it a lot here too. While I am sure they are mining that material for ideas, it isn't THAT story they are telling.

I hope I don't sound like I am lumping everyone in together who has enjoyed the books. I am sure much of them are quite good. But they don't matter any longer.

Let go... let go of your feelings...

If I kept watching after Jar-Jar Binks, Midichlorians, and the Sand monologue, I’m not sure anything would break Star Wars for me.

I’ve loved all the recent Star Wars movies, and suspect I will love The Rise of Skywalker, too.

That being said I would be a little disappointed in a redemption arc for Kylo Ren. I just don’t know how he could earn that after killing Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. Sure, he could sacrifice himself for some noble cause, but to make it ring true as redemption, that’d be a hard sell.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Midichlorians and whiney Anakin already broke Star Wars, the original New Hope trilogy crafted an epic fantasy and heroes journey from peasant farmer to Champion battling the Dark Knight and evil Empire, the 'prequel
tore the fantasy down so ot became just another sci-fi setting

Force Awakens helped redeem it,but I had already lost interest, so havemt actually finished watching any of the stories after that. (I've started watching both Rogue One and Last Jedi, but didnt feel compelled to stay and so couldnt tell you how they ended)

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Midichlorians and whiney Anakin already broke Star Wars, the original New Hope trilogy crafted an epic fantasy and heroes journey from peasant farmer to Champion battling the Dark Knight and evil Empire, the 'prequel
tore the fantasy down so ot became just another sci-fi setting

Force Awakens helped redeem it,but I had already lost interest, so havemt actually finished watching any of the stories after that. (I've started watching both Rogue One and Last Jedi, but didnt feel compelled to stay and so couldnt tell you how they ended)
I mean, Vader redeemed himself after:
A. Killing his mentor, Obi Wan.
B. Um, killing off all of the Jedi. Including the kids.
C. Killing, just, you know, a genocidal amount of people.

So ... it's good to have low standards, amirite?

But... but...V-Vader! Vader, man! Vader!

I guess it kinda broke a bit. TFA basically decided that the original trilogy's heroes ultimately failed and had a sad, unhappy life filled with regret, and TLJ did hammer it home.

But that doesn't mean Star Wars its over. It'S just not as exciting anymore as it used to be, my heart isn't as much into it. It's more like... The Fast and Furious perhaps? Somethings I can watch because it has some cool stuff in it, but its not like I care that much, and I might not need to see all the installments in the cinema, I probably won't rewatch any of them, but I probably can expect some entertainment if I do.

Remove ads