• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So...Armaunator or Pelor?

Mirkurnas

First Post
I started my first 4.0 campaign a few weeks ago with the help of the PHB lite and the adventures from this forum. It was awesome. Because I was so enthusiastic I already started creating my whole 4.0 world-setting. I've let the players start in a small port city where the faith of Armaunator is really important (since the playtest cleric uses Armaunator), but now I see that the matching miniature is actually called a cleric of Pelor. So I'm wondering if there is any clarity of which name will be used in the final prints. Also does someone have a list of all the known gods to appear in the books?

I know that:
Bane,
Pelor or Armaunator,
Bahamut,
Tiamat,
Gruumsh,
Correlon,
Sehanine,
Lolth,
Tymora,
Obad-Hai,
Vecna,
Ioun,
Zehd (or something like that)
and the Raven Queen (though not really a god?)

Will appear. Any more you know of?

LostInTheMists

First Post
Forget what the books say - use both. Have Amaunator be the head honcho god over that portfolio, with "cultists" of Pelor trying to bring their god to prominence instead. :)

Last edited:

Trolls

First Post
Don't quote me on this because I'm not an FR person, but I think Amaunator and Tymora are FR gods. At least one of the D&DXP adventures (Escape from Sembia) was set in FR, after all.

So the core books will be using Pelor instead, since he's the established core sun god.

Mirkurnas

First Post
Yeah, you are right, I'm quite sure about Tymora being a 4.0 standard god either anyway...

Amaunator is a FR god, but he died a long time ago...

I think I'm going to fix it this way:

Pelor is the true name of the god, while THE amaunator is his title :)
Pelor being a much to holy name to be uttered by mere mortals :cool:

Jack99

Adventurer
Pelor is the 4e core god.

Amaunator is a 4e god from FR. The playtest used FR gods, as it is part of the LRPGA or whatever it is called, which takes place in FR.

Perun

Mushroom
Mirkurnas said:
Yeah, you are right, I'm quite sure about Tymora being a 4.0 standard god either anyway...

Amaunator is a FR god, but he died a long time ago...

I think I'm going to fix it this way:

Pelor is the true name of the god, while THE amaunator is his title :)
Pelor being a much to holy name to be uttered by mere mortals :cool:

Amaunator, Bane, and Tymora are all originally FR deities, but Bane made it to the 4e core deity group.

Amaunator and Tymora remain, to my knowledge, FR deities. The pre-generated characters from the D&D expertience were meant ot be used in Escape from Sembia, a FR adventure (as Trolls pointed out). (Sembia is a country/region in the FR.)

According to the (new) FR lore, the Faerunian sun deity has three aspects, corresponding to the three aspects of sun (dawn, midday, dusk), and the aspects change in a cyclical manner. So Lathander (dawn aspect) changes to Amaunator (midday aspect) who changes to the unknown dusk aspect, and so on.

Rich Baker has pretty much confirmed this over at the WotC boards.

Regards.

Green Knight

First Post
According to the (new) FR lore, the Faerunian sun deity has three aspects, corresponding to the three aspects of sun (dawn, midday, dusk), and the aspects change in a cyclical manner. So Lathander (dawn aspect) changes to Amaunator (midday aspect) who changes to the unknown dusk aspect, and so on.

Which is why I hate that particular bit, because that's just not the case. Jergal, and later Myrkul, were both the God of Dusk. And they certainly weren't aspects of some other god. Nevermind that Amaunator, God of the Midday, and Jergal, God of Dusk, co-existed simultaneously at one point. The whole 'Lathander = Amaunator' thing is altogether a pretty bad idea. Which is a shame, because Lathander and Amaunator co-existing in the Realms would've been pretty damn awesome. Oh well.

C_M2008

First Post
Isn't "Power of Amaunator" a core cleric ability/feat in the 4e Phb? It's in the Phb lite. Which leads me to believe that he's a core 4e deity.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Green Knight said:
Which is why I hate that particular bit, because that's just not the case. Jergal, and later Myrkul, were both the God of Dusk. And they certainly weren't aspects of some other god. Nevermind that Amaunator, God of the Midday, and Jergal, God of Dusk, co-existed simultaneously at one point. The whole 'Lathander = Amaunator' thing is altogether a pretty bad idea. Which is a shame, because Lathander and Amaunator co-existing in the Realms would've been pretty damn awesome. Oh well.

Actually, what was said was that only two gods of the cycle can exist at any one time.

Time of Netheril = Amaunator (noon) and Jergal (dusk)
Prior to ToT = Myrkul (dusk) and Lathander (dawn)
After ToT = Lathander (dawn) and nobody has picked up the portfolio of dusk after Myrkul's death.

Recent novels suggest that Amaunator is rising again, from a splinter cult of Lathander.

Fast forward 100 years in the timeline to the 4e setting and we see Amaunator (noon) and Lathander (dawn) in place.

That means that Lathander is probably due to be off'd in the next cataclysm.

Edit: Actually, we've only seen Amaunator. Haven't heard of Lathander. Maybe they got rid of him already...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads