Paizo So how are P2 and Starfinder doing?

Rhianni32

Adventurer
My group enjoys PF2 and we will be trying Foundry VTT tonight. Paizo is about to release its 3rd AP. Advanced Players Guide comes in a couple weeks. Bestiary 3 next year. There is obvious support and content.

Will it be more popular as 5ed? No. Should Paizo have made a 5ed clone? No they didn't do it when 4ed came out why would they do it now? And I am glad they didnt copy 5ed. If I wanted 5ed I'd go play that.

dave2008

Legend
I thought the new Orr report with the Roll20 numbers might be relevant to this discussion. I don't think PF2e has offical Roll20 support, so that is likey a big issue, but it is currently lagging behind PF1 quite a bit on that platform. Not sure what that says about the overall support of the product. It does seem to have picked up a little market share relative to PF1 though, so I would guess that is good. Slow and steady climb hopefully works for Paizo.

2020 Q1
1596639357017.png

2020 Q2:
1596639319433.png

Retreater

Legend
I don't think PF2e has offical Roll20 support, so that is likey a big issue, but it is currently lagging behind PF1 quite a bit on that platform.
It does. I run a biweekly game of PF2 on Roll20. The content isn't as big as 5E, as you'd expect, but it's at least somewhat functional. There are some issues with the compendium and charactermancer, but it mostly works. They are missing the Age of Ashes AP but the other two are on there. Also Fall of Plaguestone and the demo adventure. The Advanced Players Guide was available day of release.
So it's okay on Roll20, and is slowly improving.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
My impression is that PF2e is doing super well, I notice it's getting a lot of attention from savvier 5e players who are frustrated with the lack of options and unstable systems in that game. The subreddit did a poll recently and a massive subset of respondents were people who abandoned 5e in favor of it (outstripping pf1e players.)

I actually think the "don't just knock off 5e, streamline in our own way and stick to our guns" strategy is what's paying dividends, the DND brand name is too powerful, but this game really is poised in a design context to capitalize on all the weaknesses 5e has and present itself as a meaningful alternative-- I think that's more or less what's helping to give it a market niche.

willrali

Explorer
Considering the difference in sales, I’m glad they have a Pathfinder section! I bought a core book from the B&N on 82nd and Broadway in Manhattan, for what it’s worth.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I didn't see one there. The photo shows only what was there at that time.

It's probably the best selling PF product, so paradoxically the one hardest to keep on the shelf.

How amazing is it that Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Lost Mines of Phandelver are still readily available in a mainstream bookstore after 6 years? That's longer than any previous WotC core rulebook, let alone Adventure module...

Markh3rd

Explorer
It's probably the best selling PF product, so paradoxically the one hardest to keep on the shelf.

How amazing is it that Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Lost Mines of Phandelver are still readily available in a mainstream bookstore after 6 years? That's longer than any previous WotC core rulebook, let alone Adventure module...

Yea it's one stop shopping like you would expect to find in a dedicated gaming store. Even the peripherals are on the shelf there.

Remove ads