D&D 5E so, mountain dwarf wizards...

Evenglare

Adventurer
Mountain dwarf wizards are neat just as any other race class combination. But it has to fit within the world provided. So mountain dwarf wizards will be extremely rare in my world, and would require a pretty long backstory. Sure they exist, but lore would suggest they aren't plentiful at all, and probably looked down upon by other dwarves for not embracing the more physical aspects. But eh, if you like them GREAT! I'll stick with my High Elf Wizard. Always have been my favorite wizards! :)

Dausuul

Legend
Definitely the "pure vs. versatile" argument is valid; no question. But the thing that's awesome is that in other editions, dwarf wizards were a bad idea on multiple levels.
Only 4E. In 3E, dwarf wizards were quite solid. In 1E and 2E, they didn't exist at all, as the rules flat-out banned them. In fact, one of the defining traits of the dwarf race was that dwarves and arcane magic did not mix. IIRC, they got bonuses to save against spells because of it. I still remember the shock and disbelief when people discovered "dwarf wizard" was legal in 3E. :)

But yes, they are quite viable in 5E. I also like the tradeoffs; giving up a bit of spellcasting power in exchange for physical toughness feels very "dwarfy."

jaycrockett

Explorer
I've been thinking about this dwarven 'spell axe'. Not that it's mechanically superior, but just that it sounds fun, and won't completely suck.

I'm thinking 17 Str and 14 Int. I know that sounds crazy but you are only +1 modifier off from a 16 int. You lose one prepared spell and +1 to your spell DCs and attack rolls. Not horrible, and you can choose spells like Magic Missile and Shield to avoid that. Plus you can swing your battle axe with the same bonus as a fighter, you just don't do as much damage.

I can see some problems with it and it may irritate the 'play your class!' types, but I think that it's workable at all is pretty fun.

Xodis

First Post
I can see some problems with it and it may irritate the 'play your class!' types, but I think that it's workable at all is pretty fun.

Honestly I think this is the greatest thing about the new 5e. You just proved how some crazy concept will work an work well. No youre not as powerful as the full Fighter or Wizard, but without even multi-classing you are something that has an amazing concept and not THAT gimped in combat.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Indeed. But it also means that the non-dwarf wizard is behind by two points or a feat while the others have moved on to improving Dex/Con/whatever.

Point is, a mountain dwarf wizard is, indeed, a cool concept. (I've already built one. ;) ) But it doesn't actually get you ahead of other wizards; it just shifts around what you start with vs. need to work toward. :)

I like the fact that 5e is well balanced enough that these choices have an influence, but that reasonable folks could go either way.

Yes, you will notice that you're not the best at pure wizarding if you go dwarf. But, in the ways you are not maxing out your wizarding, you will be better rounded. And at the high levels, everyone's gonna be well rounded.

ferratus

Adventurer
Only 4E. In 3E, dwarf wizards were quite solid.

They were awesome infernal pact warlocks though, which explains the traditional dwarf hatred for arcane magic. Dwarves in 4e made terrible bards, wizards and sorcerers. I'd hate arcane magic too if every spellcaster I knew was indebted to hell for his power.

But yes, they are quite viable in 5E. I also like the tradeoffs; giving up a bit of spellcasting power in exchange for physical toughness feels very "dwarfy."

I'm not sure where the dwarf = anti-magic thing came from in D&D lore. After all dwarves have a long history in myth and fairy stories of being crafter's of magic items and keepers of secret knowledge. To make room for the rumplestiltskin-like gnomes maybe?

Still seems awesome to me!

I think they're pretty awesome, too. I'd go STR 15, DEX 12, CON 16, INT 15, WIS 10, CHA 8, take the Soldier background, wield a battleaxe two-handed, and make him a front-line combatant. Keep shield prepared for when he needs to avoid an attack. Later stat bumps can push Dex (to max the +2), INT, and STR.

Remove ads