• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So..tell me about Eberron

JeffB

Legend
I'm growing more interested in this setting (GASP). I've always liked the basic premise ( "pulpish" adventure, PCs are the focus, etc), but not necc all the details (warforged, lighting trains or whatever, etc). In some ways it reminds me of Earthdawn (which I dig)

But I'd like to hear from the fans as well as from people who have tried and not liked it in the end.

What do you like? dislike? hate? love?

It's been out for several years now, so what are the good and not so good products?

Have you changed any basic premises of the setting to match your own ideals?

How is religion handled in the setting?..I've never seen much discussion of deities and such.

Thanks in advance :)

JeffB said:
How is religion handled in the setting?..I've never seen much discussion of deities and such.
You get a bunch of deities, who may or may not exist, plus a few forces / philosophies / weird stuff that grants spells.

(I think its the fact that no one ever sees the deities, plus many clerics gaining divine spells from things like the Silver Flame, which isn't a deity as such, that leads to some people questioning the eixtence of the gods.)

Most of the "employees" of the established churches are experts, rather than clerics.

If you want healing, generally you go to the halfling Dragonmarked House with the mark of healing, rather than a priest.

Deities have alignments (despite maybe not existing) but there are no alignment restrictions on clerics. You can have evil clerics in a good church. In theory the opposite also applies, but I can't quite see it. I'd love to play a "misguided" CG cleric of the Dragon Below (an evil cult) but I can't quite see how to pull it off.

Good clerics can cast spells with the evil descriptor all day long without a divine rap on the knuckles, so one of the very few constraints on the core cleric does not apply in Eberron.

FalcWP

Explorer
The main thing I love is that the PCs are going to be the heroes in Eberron. There are very, very few high level/epic level NPCs running around, which makes it very believable that the PCs can end up with important tasks, even if they're low level. Combine that with the feel of the setting (intrigue plus over the top action), and its a setting that I really enjoy.

There's plenty of room for traditional dungeon crawling (Xen'drik, a continent once ruled by giants thousands of years ago, is built for it), epic quests (lots of threats out there, from the Lords of Dust and Vol the Lich Queen to the tensions that remain from the recently ended Last War... which could erupt again at any moment), or smaller scale adventures (there are numerous power groups, none of which are powerful enough to accomplish what they want, and most of whom could use adventurers).

I love the Dragonmarks - bloodlines which have innate magical abilities, which certain families have used to gain monopolies on certain trades (House Jorasco is a family of halflings with the Mark of Healing - they're the source of most magical *and* nonmagical healing in Eberron; House Cannith has the Mark of Making, and creates both magical and mundane items of high quality; and so on).

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the idea of seeing what happens if magic is developed instead of technology, which is what Eberron does. A lot of folks aren't as enthusiastic about it, and don't want "robots" (Warforged) and "trains" (The Lightning Rail) in their fantasy, but I think Eberron pulls it off very well. To me, they make a lot of sense given how the world has developed - the lightning rail was an attempt to link a continent-spanning empire together (Something I'm fully able to believe a 900 year old empire would be working towards); the warforged are designed to be smarter, better soldiers than golems, with the ability to learn, which is certainly useful when you have a war that goes on for 100 years.

As amethal said, its questionable if most deities in Eberron exist. Its much closer to the real world, where many, many people have faith in one god or another despite the lack of concrete evidence that proves their existence - gods in Eberron, if they exist, don't actually walk the world and take part in it. Spells might come from gods, or they might come from a cleric's faith - nobody is quite certain. Some beings that are worshiped do walk around, however - notable is the lich Vol, and the Undying Court of the Elves. The Silver Flame is also 'real'. The Sovereign Host, the Dark Six, and the Cults of the Dragon Below would be among those religions that don't have a deity that can be proved to exist (though, again, most worshipers believe that they do, and there's no proof that they *don't exist, either).

As for the best books out there... well, the Campaign Setting book is obvious ;). I also like Dragonmarked (shocking, I know), The Forge of War (which goes in to the details of the Last War), the Player's Guide to Eberron, and Sharn, City of Towers. That said, I've found pretty much all the books to be useful - those are just the ones that I like the most.

amethal said:
Deities have alignments (despite maybe not existing) but there are no alignment restrictions on clerics. You can have evil clerics in a good church. In theory the opposite also applies, but I can't quite see it. I'd love to play a "misguided" CG cleric of the Dragon Below (an evil cult) but I can't quite see how to pull it off.

It is a bit tough to justify a Good character worshiping the Dragon Below. However, I can see Good characters who worship the Blood of Vol - it is a very popular religion in a civilized nation, and most folks are not aware of who Vol actually is or the actions she has taken.

Kesh

First Post
JeffB said:

I love the overall feel of the setting. It's just after a major war, people still distrust one another for what side they (supposedly) were on, and another war could break out at any time. There's ancient grudges and ancient societies, with plenty of places to explore. There's the constant threat of extra-planar invasion from the plane of Dreams or the plane of Insanity (which means I can get plenty of use from Call of Cthulhu d20!). And it's not too hard to get from where you are to where the adventure is.

My biggest gripe is that the new races really don't get much treatment in the books, aside from the warforged. Changelings are kinda handwaved into the background, and shifters don't get any love. Kalashtar are kinda odd, and are only really relevant if you want to pull in the psionics/Dal'quor/Riedra story.

It's been out for several years now, so what are the good and not so good products?

I strongly recommend Sharn: City of Towers and the Player's Guide to Eberron. The former is a great place to set a whole campaign, or just to visit for an adventure. The latter integrates a lot of 3e/3.5e monsters & classes into the setting, as well as providing a ton of plot hooks. I've also heard good things about Five Nations and Secrets of Sarlona if you want more location options.

I was rather disappointed with Races of Eberron and Magic of Eberron though. Secrets of Xen'drik got a lot of "meh" from me, though it does have some neat plot hooks.

Not really. Most of it fits very well with my own vision of how a setting works. The only real changes I made are local in scope (a particular cult religion, a rift to another plane in this forest, etc).

That's because it's mostly like religion in the real world. The gods never visit Eberron and, in fact, may not exist at all. No one really knows if any divine beings are out there, but something answers when clerics seek their powers or use a spell to ask questions.

The only tangible sources of the divine are the Araneal Undying Court and the Silver Flame.* The Court is a bunch of good-aligned undead which the elves of Araneal revere in an ancestor-worship kinda way, while the Silver Flame is a merging of two powerful beings (one good and one evil) which has chosen a spokesman in the form of a young girl.

* One more is Vol, a mysterious undead that founded a blood-cult which is popular in certain parts, but most people who follow the religion don't even know she exists.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think Eberron's biggest influences on me are its different set of patrons. Of course you could always have universities and broadsheets as patrons, but I'm a bear of little brain, and it never occurred to me to use them in D&D. But seeing them in action, wow, they're on the list permanently for me.

And using Indiana Jones as an explicit inspiration for explorations of a mysterious jungle continent ... I could happily run/play an unlimited number of campaigns where the group were exploring Xendrik at the behest of Morgrave University. (Although a joked-about riff on the X-Men using Eberron races instead of mutants could be really cool, too, if handled with a certain degree of seriousness.)

Asmor

First Post
JeffB said:
I'm growing more interested in this setting (GASP). I've always liked the basic premise ( "pulpish" adventure, PCs are the focus, etc), but not necc all the details (warforged, lighting trains or whatever, etc). In some ways it reminds me of Earthdawn (which I dig)

But I'd like to hear from the fans as well as from people who have tried and not liked it in the end.

I love pretty much everything I've read. Came for the Warforged and Airships, stayed for the story, adventure potential, etc. I'm actually still learning the setting myself.

I really recommend reading the Dreaming Dark trilogy, by Keith Baker. The first book is pretty good, and really sets the tone for the whole setting as well as introducing you to the city of Sharn. The second book is an absolutely phenomenal romp through Xen'drik. The third book is... honestly a little disappointing, but only because the first two were so good. It's still worth reading.

As far as actual source books go, aside from the ECS (duh), I thin that the Player's Guide to Eberron has to be one of the best source books I've ever seen. It's set up like an encyclopedia, so you just flip to, say, Aerenal if you wanted to read about the Aereni elves, or you flip to The Silver Flame to read about that religion. Includes knowledge checks (often several different ones for the same topic, i.e. history, religion and the planes might all apply to one topic, and each gives you different info).

I'm liking Five Nations a lot, too.

Explorer's handbook kind of fell a bit flat for me, but YMMV.

Haven't had a chance to run it yet. :/ I'm thinking of changing or adding to the religions a bit, though, because I've got ideas I want to use. I'm a bit hesitant to do that, though, because I love the religion in the setting so much that it seems a travesty to much with it!

Excellent question! And the answer is: it varies. There's no pantheon, and the gods may or may not exist, at the DM's whim. Actually, there's a bunch of mysteries inherent in the setting, like the Mourning, which are intentionally left to individual DM interpretation, but I digress.

Here's a sampling of the religion:

*The Sovereign Host and the Dark Six are the closest to a standard pantheon, though they're somewhat more abstract. It's common for people to worship the Soverign Host itself, rather than the 9 or so individual gods which make it up.

*Aereni elves worship their ancestors, who are physically embodied by the undying council. The undying council are deathless (positive energy analogs to undead) elves, tens of thousands of years old, who act as gods to the younger elves. Aereni society is also very death-focused.

*The Blood of Vol has the same origins as the Deathless; Vol was an ancient Elf who tried to espouse negative energy instead of positive. Today, the Blood of Vol is seen as a misunderstood cult, but they were a major player in one of the Five Nations during the last war, Karrnath, and the Karrnathi armies are to this day supplemented by undead even though the Blood of Vol is no longer the official state religion.

*The Silver Flame: Thrane is the only nation which is really devoutly religious. They are, in fact, a theocracy, lead by the priests of the Silver Flame. Long ago a paladin sealed some hell portal and turned the fires of the portal silver by sacrificing her life. Today, the silver flame itself provides power to worshippers of it. Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about the silver flame yet because I haven't read much about it or Thrane yet.

Doug McCrae

Legend
What I like about Eberron:

Pulp influence
Kitchen sink setting - everything in D&D does (or can) exist there
Warforged
Order of the Emerald Claw
Church of the Silver Flame

werk

First Post
blargney the second said:
It's just plain old fun. In whatever form you're looking for.

I'll second this.

It's basically a toybox with everything you could possibly want inside. I guess that's what I like the most. Most players starting in Eberron don't know what they are in for, so this affords a DM with so very many options they can pursue.

I like (and have played) deity-less clerics, so that wasn't much of a transition to me. I pretty much cut deities out of my campaigns since the beginning of the avatar series in FR.

The new races are cool. The new classes are OK. Action points and some other features or feats are an interesting variant.

It's just a setting, no big deal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads