D&D 5E (+) So, what have you done to make martials feel better?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Also, fighters - not just Battlemasters - should be the king of Bonus Actions and Reactions. I'd like to see more "hit point damage and a rider effect" options for fighters, utilizing their bonus actions. Also, more defensive options with reactions, especially ways to use armor, weapons or shields in ways most of the other classes can't

I want you to imagine a class that at level 11 gets an extra attack (not 3 extra at 5 11 and 17) but other then that gets everything aa fighter gets (including all weapon and armor prof), AND is both a battlemaster AND a champion... but it has D12HDs, and it gets some sneak attack (1d6 at st level 2d6 at 3rd but after that it is equal to prof... but still need adv or adj ally) and every NOT sneak attack ability of the rogue... now give it every non spell ability of the ranger. Give them Jack of all trades from bard and let it go to saves too...

let there subclass be any ranger or any rouge one (except arcane trickster) keep in mind this would include 2 bonus ASI feat not 4 (so overlap rouge and fighter on this)

this gestalt mega munchkin class would have abilities for exploration, combat, and a ton of skills and good ones even if not prof (jack of all trades) uses for bonus actions, and not only the best HD in the game and best armor in the game, but the ability to as a reaction take half damage...

at 20th level they still would not be as versitle as an okay to good made wizard or cleric...
Nods... or keep some more of the multi-attacks but....
Modify the Maneuvers so they can be paid for or triggered by different methods basically either a bonus action or forfeiting one attack in order to scan for openings. Also let it happen on a crit.

And yes open up the number of reactions would be great... Though I had thought of just making it opportunity attacks and why not an intercept for opportunity movement and similar.

A battle cry that lets you share your initiative with others who have lower initiative and perhaps allow them to use other stats for initiative than Dex *(Wis/Int/Cha)

I also want more one man army going on
more generate temp hit points for self and some true damage reduction in later tiers so that weaker attacks are nullified and open up maneuvers to affecting every enemy in reach or in an area. Make them a master of intimidation regardless of Charisma...

Edit: The top end of what is "allowed"... if you arent using magic is just too low.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sort of related. This is where I've landed with my version of a Basic 5e fighter. Extra challenging because it's a Basic system*, so keeping it simple is the scope, while also trying to keep it from being boring. I've got some fellow ENWorld posters who deserve credit for some of the ideas (in a previous thread we talked about it) :). One of my ideas I like a lot is making Second Wind a fighting style where you can help your allies.

* The rules are 5e streamlined into only the most core framework, so things like bonus actions, concentration, individual skills, and other rules are yanked right out. So keep that in mind when looking at the class.

fighter.jpg

Remove ads