D&D 5E (+) So, what have you done to make martials feel better?

MGibster

Legend
Most folks will talk about combat stuff, but I want more in the other pillars. I know they are beefing backgrounds and that will help, but still the fighter could use some out of combat utility and social buffs.
Primarily this is what I'd like. I care less about whether the Fighter is as destructive as the Warlock or Wizard and more about what they can offer outside of combat.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
Primarily this is what I'd like. I care less about whether the Fighter is as destructive as the Warlock or Wizard and more about what they can offer outside of combat.
Would you handle that with extra proficiencies to keep it simple, or something else from a different product/homebrew?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't do anything mechanical, I don't think it's necessary.
Mod Note:
The question in the OP was:

"...what 3rd party product or homebrew have you used, or want to use, to try to make the issue feel better at the table?"

If you are not going to answer that question, it is time to excuse yourself from the thread.

MGibster

Legend
Would you handle that with extra proficiencies to keep it simple, or something else from a different product/homebrew?
It might be something so simple as giving Fighters more skill points and a broader range of skills they might be proficient with. Part of the problem with D&D, is that some classes, say the Wizard and Warlock, have skills linked to attributes that are useful for them both in combat and out of combat. A Wizard has a high intelligence which translates into good bonuses for knowledge based skills and a Warlock's charisma helps them with social interactions. The Fighter typically has a charisma and intelligence bonus of zero in my experience. What happens very often in my experience, is that a lot of players automatically defer to other PCs during social encounters on account of "My character isn't good at talking."

Deferring to other characters certainly makes sense in some contexts, but it's not something that should be incentivized in my opinion. Role playing is arguably a more important aspect of the game than it was thirty years ago and every character should be good at socializing. Not necessarily in the same way or in all situations, but sometimes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, I've posted in so many threads so many times for things to help martials, particularly fighters, to help players feel better about them, I just can't do it again... :(

Mod Note:
Then don't. I mean, you won't be able to in this discussion any more, but in the future....

Folks, if you aren't on board with the point of the discussion, maybe consider that it isn't the thread for you.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I help martials primarily by running Level Up and encouraging the use of it's fighter, berserker, adept, marshal, ranger, and rogue classes (none of whom require spellcasting).

Vaalingrade

Legend
I'm in the process of pulling the entire system apart, breaking traditional class features into feats, creating a Technique system with more than two dozen techniques, ignoring tradition and the man at the gym to make it possible to build an effective version of anything from 'punchy dude' to 'incredible hulk who smashes the ground when he misses, grabs and throws enemies across the battlefield and finishes with a thunderclap' and have them be balanced against each other. Monk Archer Ranger, thug rogue -- all got consumed by the Combatant.

Then I went and made magic, masterwork and tech weapons for them to use, with abilities that change how you play by enhancing what you already do or giving you even more versatility. Oh, and there's not empty +X. Every superior weapon actually does something.

I gave the Combatant a reasonable amount of skills too.

Then I grabbed the Rogue. Usually the most balanced class in any edition, I unmarried them from Trapfinding and Sneak attack, and opened up their options with skill tricks and gave them access to Techniques as well. On top of that, their feat loadout now includes anything that can be considered seated in Skill, including improvised weapons, woodcraft, trapmaking, chemistry and device users, acrobats, etc. The Rogue ate Ranger, Alchemist, Artificer.

Then as for the other classes, I made it easy to steal their stuff.

Want a spell? Take a feat. Now you have the spell.

Want the ability to channel divinity? Take a feat. Now you can channel divinity.

Bardic music? Feat.

Rituals? Feat, then buy them.

It goes the other way too. Sneak attack die? Feat. Weapon of Choice, armor or weapon profs? Feat, feat feat.

I'm making martials feel better by making everyone feel better by making it possible to build exactly what you want.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't do anything... mostly because I kept forgetting. I have some manoeuvres/stances that I was thinking of giving out when a class gains a fighting style (so mostly fighters, paladins, rangers, but also a swords bard and any other subclass that grants one), and for barbarians I was gonna give warcries and rage abilities.

Fighters would gain increased use of manoeuvres, learning more at level 5, and gaining the ability to use one as a reaction. Otherwise they were typically something that could replace one attack.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Give them a cup of tea and a biscuit. (That's a cookie for our American Cousins.)

Thinking a bit deeper... I do like to have options for any character I play.* So I'd give them manoeuvres and such. Like maybe some sort of feats that give them more options and special abilities. Basically I'd just re-invent DND 3e. Or maybe PF 2e.

*This lack of interesting options is where 5e leaves colder than a dead halibut on an ice flow.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I'm in the process of pulling the entire system apart, breaking traditional class features into feats, creating a Technique system with more than two dozen techniques, ignoring tradition and the man at the gym to make it possible to build an effective version of anything from 'punchy dude' to 'incredible hulk who smashes the ground when he misses, grabs and throws enemies across the battlefield and finishes with a thunderclap' and have them be balanced against each other. Monk Archer Ranger, thug rogue -- all got consumed by the Combatant.

Then I went and made magic, masterwork and tech weapons for them to use, with abilities that change how you play by enhancing what you already do or giving you even more versatility. Oh, and there's not empty +X. Every superior weapon actually does something.

I gave the Combatant a reasonable amount of skills too.

Then I grabbed the Rogue. Usually the most balanced class in any edition, I unmarried them from Trapfinding and Sneak attack, and opened up their options with skill tricks and gave them access to Techniques as well. On top of that, their feat loadout now includes anything that can be considered seated in Skill, including improvised weapons, woodcraft, trapmaking, chemistry and device users, acrobats, etc. The Rogue ate Ranger, Alchemist, Artificer.

Then as for the other classes, I made it easy to steal their stuff.

Want a spell? Take a feat. Now you have the spell.

Want the ability to channel divinity? Take a feat. Now you can channel divinity.

Bardic music? Feat.

Rituals? Feat, then buy them.

It goes the other way too. Sneak attack die? Feat. Weapon of Choice, armor or weapon profs? Feat, feat feat.

I'm making martials feel better by making everyone feel better by making it possible to build exactly what you want.
Sounds pretty dope. Is this just for your home game, or is it going to become a product?

Remove ads