• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC So, when do the announce the July book? Guesses on what it'll be? 🤔

teitan

Legend
Depends if all they want is the Patrons bit doesn't it?
Do they need to buy the whole book when its only a small portion they want to read?
No. No it doesn’t depend. That’s a bad argument and horrible business model. Two or three pages is not worth a $50 investment in a setting book. No. That we now think it is is baffling when back in the day, on this very site, we would do calculations of dollar to page count ratios as part of the reviews.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm wondering if the FR adventure (which is now presumably the July release) will be a fey-themed adventure. It's not something that has been done yet in 5e, and we have those fey UAs that would fit in as a bit of extra crunch. Plus the Sword Coast has places like the Moonshae Islands and the High Forest which would be perfect settings for such an adventures (I would love to see the former get some love!). It could even be partially set in the Feywild...
And there is that update to Neverwinter Nights that has Fey aspects in it. Rime of the Frostmaiden even contained the (updated) Goliath race in it, so it's not impossible that the Folk of the Feywild UA is intended for an adventure book (I know that Princes of the Apocalypse had the Genasi in them, but that was quite awhile ago and a bit of an aberration when compared to the other 5e FR adventure books).

Faolyn

(she/her)
Why would Dark Sun or Planescape be controversial? Other companies are putting out way edgier materials and no one says foul. Trying to be pre-active on these things always backs fires or produces inferior products. Pre-active as a opposed to proactive. Doing a setting that contains slavery is not the same as doing a product that endorses slavery. Hopefully no one gets upset about Judge Dredd!
Due to the muls, Dark Sun specifically has sex slavery and forced breeding. That is, however, an easy thing to get rid of, by making muls into a fertile species.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do you happen to remember anything about them?
You can find all of Winninger's essays here:

The followign from Dragon # 256 is interesting:

If you're having a hard time choosing between several appealing possibilities, don't fret. Pick the possibilities that are easiest to develop and move on. You can always supplement your world with a new location built on an entirely different hook at a later date. For instance, if you're having a hard time choosing between a world dominated by dragons (opposition hook) and a world dominated by Wizards (class/race hook), go with the dragons. Later, you can introduce a separate continent ruled by Wizards. In fact, every time you introduce such an area you have an opportunity to devise a rationale that connects its hook to your other hook(s) and adds depth to your game world.

Returning to our example, let's suppose that, across much of the world, all the most important rulers are dragons and that most wars and international affairs stem from conflicts or alliances between these dragons. While humans can rise to the rank of duke or baron, they are ultimately little more than slaves or vassals of the dragons. Eventually though, the players discover a large hidden island in the middle of a vast sea. This island is ruled by Wizards, the ancestors of whom successfully rebelled against the dragons and established their own secret kingdom more than a thousand years ago. The Wizards' ancestors defeated their reptilian masters by stealing the secret of magic from them. It turns out that every human Wizard in the world ultimately owes his ancestry or tutelage to an inhabitant or former inhabitant of the island. Working together, these two hooks have just provided us with some rich backstory and fodder for future adventures. We now know how mankind learned the art of sorcery, and we can suppose that at least some of the dragons are interested in finding the island and recovering magical treasures stolen long ago.

Wyatt's Dungeoncraft articles are for sale on the DMsGuild in specific issues, but I didn't find much after a short Google except some EnWorld discussion threads.

Rikka66

Adventurer
Do you happen to remember anything about them?

Wyatt's were a lot...simpler than Winninger's. Winninger was much more about forming your own world and seeding it with secrets. Wyatt's was about making a 4e campaign (not a world) using the 4e base assumptions (Dawn War gods, points of light, ect.) and creating character hooks and foreshadowing. Wyatt's also heavily suffered by the format. His intention was to take us through is campaign as he developed it, but he ended up making it a lunchtime game at work, which meant the group actually meant and no one was putting it in the level of investment necessary to write a series of articles about.

Winninger's articles are focused heavily on starting a campaign and making a world. Wyatt's ping-pongs around and hits a lot of different topics. I found Wyatt's long before I read Winninger's (an 8-9 year gap) and I want to be clear I think there's a lot of good advice and interesting idea, but it lacks the focus of Winninger's tenure. Both switch to a second campaign setting near the end of their runs, interestingly.

teitan

Legend
Due to the muls, Dark Sun specifically has sex slavery and forced breeding. That is, however, an easy thing to get rid of, by making muls into a fertile species.
Does it glorify this slavery or is it portrayed as evil? I get it but context is everything but I wouldn’t touch it with a mass produced book from WOTC but I also think some of the modern outrage is a vocal minority.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Does it glorify this slavery or is it portrayed as evil? I get it but context is everything but I wouldn’t touch it with a mass produced book from WOTC but I also think some of the modern outrage is a vocal minority.
The setting is a pretty awful place to live. Slavery keeps the metaaphorical gears of what little civilization left after the cleansing war running so that said walled cities barely above refugee camps can continue keeping the true big bad from escaping the seal keeping him on ice so he doesn't restart the cleansing wars to destroy what little is left. Here is a pretty good quick & condensed back of the book summary of everything going on. Shy of some new discovery nobody has reason to suspect could happen or outside intervention from another sphere that somehow makes it past Athas' sealed sphere it's very much a setting designed to make fixing it more than a brief period extremely implausible due to a gordian knot of trolley problems

Remove ads