D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I'm going to disagree there about the Monsters. I guess it depends on what you mean by "greater," but I think they are trying to make monsters easier to play / more interesting, but the don't seem more powerful.
If they don’t fix the MM monster math, this is a total waste of time.

My definition of compatibility has far less to do with published adventures (which almost never run) and far more with how the rules of character creation and play (PC and DM side) actually work and interact.
Well we know character creation will be different - it already is with more recent supplements. So by that measure we are already incompatible!

I think that is to narrow of a definition of compatibility.

Clint_L

Hero
Well we know character creation will be different - it already is with more recent supplements. So by that measure we are already incompatible!

I think that is to narrow of a definition of compatibility.
I agree - look how much it has already changed since 2014. There has never been fixed character creation in 5e. Feats have gone from optional to expected to (soon) mandatory, there are way more sub-classes, a whole class has been added, new optional abilities for every class (some quite consequential - rangers), spells, etc.

DDB handles all of it quite smoothly. I haven't seen anything yet on the One tests that will be hard for it to incorporate.

Clint_L

Hero
Pretty sure you will need to buy the next editions PHB.

There are enough notable changes I would consider it an edition change. However the material we have so far is backwards compatible, and I imagine it will stay that way.
I had to buy MotM, and I already owned Volo's and Mordenkainen's. It was super cheap, but I still kind of regret it as MotM didn't change much, except spell lists, and I preferred the old method so I mostly use the old versions of monsters.

I had to buy MotM, and I already owned Volo's and Mordenkainen's. It was super cheap, but I still kind of regret it as MotM didn't change much, except spell lists, and I preferred the old method so I mostly use the old versions of monsters.
I mostly prefer the newer style, and there are going to be further monster refinements. New Encounter Building and Revised Monsters are explicitly coming in the playtest.

Remove ads