D&D 5E Social Contract Helping Other NPCs?

Zardnaar

Legend
IN our game we have a PC Rogue that is highly mobile. He uses this mobility to skirmish a lot but he is aways running away form combats often leaving the fighter in the lurch.

I have a valor bard built around being an enabler and the Rogue is also the party healer via the healer feat. We had a PC die yesterday as the Rogue was to far away the PC to heal her or at least he was not willing to give up his attack action to use dash+action to heal the PC.

This is not the 1st time this has happened. This rogue has more hit points than my valor bard and can use his reaction to halve the damage. I have called him out onthis the last few sessions and he says he can only use the half damage ability once per turn. That is once per turn more than anyone else.

This is leading me to think why should I use my spells which are once per day to help him out? I have already more or less stopped giving this PC bardic dice even though I want to help him out by using dissonant whispers and bardic dice to buff his damage/AC and enable extra sneak attacks.

My valor bard is usually at the front lines and at level 10 I only have 63 odd hit points, the Rogue has over 70 and the fighter often gets KOed in 1 or 2 rounds due to DM focus fire as she lacks a shield. Once she goes down my bard (with only a few more hit poitns than the wizard) and moon Druid with 15 AC are now the front liners and we may not be in the right position to let the Rogue sneak attack anywa. That is alight for the Rogue player as he seems happy to fire a bow for 1d6+5 damage as he will not ready an action to have an attack as he wants to save his reaction in case he does get hiot even if he is 10+squares away using the mobility feat and dash to stay as far away from the front lines as possible.

That is OK I suppose up to a point if someone wants to play a skirmisher. Even when the moon Druid and Fighter go down he still will not take the hits. We do not really understand the being to far away to help thing. Far enough away to avoid some damage ok fair enough. I don't think he cares as he can basically out run anything. Its not much fun for my PC as I built it to enable others and a price of that was a squishy low damage PC. I keep running out of spells as well as I have to divert spells to healing and going nova to save the party. There seems to be 4 main things wrong.

1. Party damage is lower than it could be due to lack of sneak attacks and extra sneak attacks/support.
2. Party is not spreading the damage around as much as it could and is taking more damage than it could due to uncanny dodge not being used.
3. PCs are being left in the lurch unsupported.
4. He is one of the "big hitters" in the party. The other big hitter is taking most of the damage and being KOed every other fight.

I have tried pointing things out the nice way but it is like talking to a brick wall, he just will not help anyone else out. One of the other PCs has just suggested cutting him off from all bardic related aid and healing spells. He could stop using a healers kit on me in retaliation I suppose but I can just hide at the back and use my mobility and spells to keep me safe I suppose. Eventually a few PCs will likely die if I do that but oh well. I used to have a good AC of 19 at level 4 but at level 10 AC 19 is not really cutting it the same way any more and I have to healing or use spells like greater invisibility just to stay alive. That means I do not have concentration spells left over to buff the party via faerie fire or whatever.

I want to retire the character or rebuild the character as something else like a life cleric to help cover the front lines or mitigate the other PCs doing random stuff. Just not sure what to do, retire, rebuild or just stop playing. Same group had similar issues at level 3 and 2 PCs died due to party composition.

Last edited:

GSHamster

Adventurer
Why is this guy playing a rogue? Or a healer? It sounds like he would be happiest with an archer-type character with minimal responsibility for the group. Maybe encourage him to rebuild his rogue into an archer-type as he already likes using bows.

The first thing I would suggest is that someone else play the healer. If you don't like the way he plays the healer, then you're going to have to step up. Make a cleric or rebuild your bard.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Get the Other Pcs to create a contract in character. If a majority feel he didn't uphold his end of the deal, he gets no share of the treasure. If his character whines like a baby tell him in character to leave and out of character to make a character the other party members would be happy to have with them rather than a worthless whining jerk. If that doesn't get the message across, do whatever you can to get the player to quit the campaign.

Zardnaar

Legend
Get the Other Pcs to create a contract in character. If a majority feel he didn't uphold his end of the deal, he gets no share of the treasure. If his character whines like a baby tell him in character to leave and out of character to make a character the other party members would be happy to have with them rather than a worthless whining jerk. If that doesn't get the message across, do whatever you can to get the player to quit the campaign.

We all like the player as a person and he is fine with his other characters. He is just playing this rogue badly it seems and he took the healer feat as he liked the way it interacted with cunning action. He is not a jerk as such just playing this particular PC badly to the point he is probably starting to be a detriment to the party. He plays fine with his shield master fighter in the other campaign.

DM said I could go back to being a cleric though as the bard was a rebuild of a light cleric anyway.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Ignore the guy completely. Talk to the other players out of character ahead of time to shut him out 100%. Do not talk to him. Do not do anything with him. Do not even look at him. Ignore what he says. Pretend he isn't there. It should take about 10 minutes for him to start whining about it and when he does, lay down the law. Even with a close friend, players do not have to put up with this type of nonsense. When you explain what the problem is, tell him that it's only a game. It is ok if his PC takes damage.

Tell him if he is going to not help the other PCs, then the other PCs are not going to help him. Ever. No healing. Ever.

Alternatively, knock his PC unconscious. Nothing stops a group of PCs from ganging up on an non-helpful PC. Roleplay your PCs as they actually would act.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ignore the guy completely. Talk to the other players out of character ahead of time to shut him out 100%. Do not talk to him. Do not do anything with him. Do not even look at him. Ignore what he says. Pretend he isn't there. It should take about 10 minutes for him to start whining about it and when he does, lay down the law. Even with a close friend, players do not have to put up with this type of nonsense. When you explain what the problem is, tell him that it's only a game. It is ok if his PC takes damage.

Tell him if he is going to not help the other PCs, then the other PCs are not going to help him. Ever. No healing. Ever.

Alternatively, knock his PC unconscious. Nothing stops a group of PCs from ganging up on an non-helpful PC. Roleplay your PCs as they actually would act.
Another way the party can deal with this in-character is to simply hang the Rogue out to dry next time there's any real danger - back away and leave it all to him (her?).

If the Rogue is otherwise more useful than it sounds like this one is, a second plan would be to head into town and recruit an NPC Cleric into the party, leaving the Rogue free to do the sneaky stuff.

Lan-"killing him and taking his stuff is also always an option"-efan

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think the only real solution to this kind of not-helping issue it talking to the player about it. If as you say Zard he is not understanding, then speak more clearly. He will eventually agree to help more, or it will be clear that he's playing like a jerk and the game will fold. At least you'll get a resolution.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the only real solution to this kind of not-helping issue it talking to the player about it. If as you say Zard he is not understanding, then speak more clearly. He will eventually agree to help more, or it will be clear that he's playing like a jerk and the game will fold. At least you'll get a resolution.

Tried the nice approach, starting to became a bit more snarky I suppose we had a PC die because of it yesterday although raise dead was available via NPC. DM said I could rebuild the character into a cleric to help pick up the healing and damage role a bit.

Player motivation seems to be avoiding all damage no matter what, dealing damage is a bonus. Playing the skirmisher thing carried a bit to far perhaps doesn't seem to realize or care though. Its more of a 4.5 man party taking on stuff for a 5 or 6 person group with bad synergy between the PCs when the bard has been built to buff the others and the bard the bard can't really heal or deal much damage and is squishy with 12 con vs 14+ for everyone else.

Derren

Hero
What happened to role playing? It is obvious that the player wants to play his PC in a particular way. Do you want that he throws that away and instead plays a combat machine without personality? Stop seeing this as a tactical miniature wargame.

Last edited:

Tanaka Chris

First Post
Might agree with Derren on this one. What's his character background story? Is it consistent with his behavior?

In our campaign we have a gnome warlock who adamantly stays out of fights he did not ask for, even running out of battle if he feels the party made a bad choice. HOWEVER, he will fight any demonic entity to the death.

It's purely his roleplay and in character though, so that actually makes it fun if somewhat frustrating in a tough battle :p

Remove ads