• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solos, Status Effects, and a House Rule

Elric

First Post
The http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-rules/253587-d-d-solos-just-not-threatening.html thread in the Rules Forum had me thinking about a major design problems with solos: debuff effects (Stun, Daze, Weaken, attack penalties etc.) effect a solo very similarly to non-solos, but their impact is far greater because a solo is meant to count as five regular monsters.

Here’s a house rule meant to fix that, and then I’ll launch into a long explanation of the problem and how I arrived at this solution: solos get +2 to saves, not +5, but make saves at the start of their turn, after taking ongoing damage, rather than the end of their turn. Solos can also make saves against “until end of next turn” effects (either “your next turn” or “the monster’s next turn” type effects).

Update: note that I've got a lot of suggestions different from this one at other points in the thread. See this post, for example.

Though I call this a house rule, you don't have to think of it as such. It could also be creating a specific ability, called, say, Tough as Nails, that gives solos additional defenses against these type of effects, and adding that same ability to every solo.

Solos get a +5 bonus to saves in the rules as written, but this helps only a little bit, for two reasons. First, no matter what a creature's bonus to saves are, it still will be effected for at least a round (compared to a normal monster which still averages under two rounds being affected by a save-ends effect). Second, there are plenty of "until the end of your next turn" effects that do not interact with the save mechanic. At higher levels, a party can have many such powers.

The basic math, in the game as written:
A normal monster hit by a save ends effect is affected for 1 round, and then has a 55% chance of being no longer effected, and a 45% chance to have the effect continue. In the later case, you’re back where you started. So letting E be the expected (average) number of rounds on its own turn that the save-ends effect lasts for, E= 1+ 0.45*E + 0.55*0. So E= 1.82.

Similarly, an elite monster has expected rounds=1.54. However, since an elite monster counts as two monsters, weighting by two gives a “monster-equivalent rounds affected” of 3.08.

A solo has expected rounds=1.25. Since a solo monster counts as 5 monsters, weighting by 5 gives a “monster-equivalent rounds affected” of 6.25.

I’ll assume for the purposes of this thread that save-ends and until end of next turn type effects don’t cause major gameplay issues when applied to elites, meaning that elites don’t need a house rule fix and also that if solos had a “normal monster equivalent rounds” of around 3, where elites are, that this would be manageable.

Edit: I should note that a solo's offense shouldn't be 5x that of a normal monster's offense by default. See the posts later in this thread, here or here. Since status conditions primarily affect monster offense, treating a solo as 5 monster equivalents seems too high here. However, note that in MM2 WotC has shifted solo design towards more offense and less defense than before; MM2 solos seem to be about 4 normal monster equivalents both offensively and defensively.

WotC had the right idea with the rules for deities (very high level solos like Tiamat and Vecna), giving deities an immediate save to end conditions. This makes it so a deity is affected for less than one round on average, by a save-ends effect. However, this is too strong of a fix for normal solos. Two reasons: first, it prevents characters from taking any advantage from an ability most of the time (a grant combat advantage effect, for example, isn’t unbalancing to have last until the solo’s turn), and second, it decreases the “normal monster equivalent rounds” to 1.25, since 80% of the time the effect ends immediately and 20% of the time you proceed as normal for a solo. That means that “monster equivalent rounds affected” are lower for solos than they are for normal monsters, and much lower than for elites. If you had solos save at the start of their rounds, and kept the +5 bonus to saves, you'd avoid the first part of this but still end up with the second part.

With my proposed fix, a solo has a 65% chance to be affected for 0 rounds by a save-ends effect, and a 35% chance to be affected for one round, and be back to where it started. So the average number of rounds affected is E=0.35(1+E), or E=0.54, which gives “monster equivalent rounds affected” of 2.69. That seems much more reasonable than the 6.25 figure in the core rules, and is a bit less than the 3.08 figure for elites above.

For an “until end of next turn” effect, a solo now has a 0.35 chance to be affected, and is worth 5 monsters, giving a 1.75 “monster equivalent rounds affected.” Compared to an elite in the RAW, which is affected for 1 round and counts as 2 monsters, for 2 “monster equivalent rounds”, this is again comparable.

Some issues that could arise: A solo's save ability should work like the Warden's Font of Life: if they shake off a stun, they can take actions normally, with the exception as given above for ongoing damage.

There are many until end of next turn effects out there, and some may be unnecessarily weakened by this change. For example, a fighter’s mark and a warden’s mark are until end of next turn effects, while a Paladin’s mark and a Swordmage’s mark are not. So this would change the relative efficacy of defender marks used on solos.

You could create an exception to shaking off marks in one direction or another (either giving the solo a chance to shake off all marks, regardless of duration, with a save, or making it so that solos couldn’t shake off any marks in this fashion), but that would add complication.

Players might feel that their abilities have been overly nerfed. However, it’s hard to see a fix smaller than this one that leaves solos appropriately threatening. You could implement this change and give solos no bonuses to saves. That would leave them at 4.09 “monster equivalent rounds affected”, and might make debuffs on solos still too strong. It also has the slightly strange property that solos have a smaller bonus to saves than elites. Fixes that rely on altering a subset of conditions affecting solos (e.g., Stunned and Dominated become Dazed; solos ignore Dazed) seem generally unworkable, since they require too many specific rules and will be too hard to use in practice.

This change makes ongoing damage more potent against solos than it used to be. I see this one as a positive. It seemed to me like ongoing damage was overly nerfed by a solo’s saving throw bonus, as damage isn’t more effective against solos but the duration was decreased by a solo’s saving throw bonus. This will increase the value of certain dailies accordingly.

Without the +5 bonus to saves, static save penalties like the Orb of Imposition become even stronger. This would definitely be a problem, except that these abilities should get house-ruled anyway, because they're way too strong. My fix for the Orb seems like a common one: Orb of imposition’s save penalty power is a free action you can use only once per encounter, but you can choose to apply it after the relevant saving throw roll has already been made. The AV items that grant save penalties also need to be changed in general.

Lastly, solos might become too strong under this house rule. As people have reported some grind when using solos, a solution here could be to decrease solo hit points by a set percentage, say, 10-20%, so that solos become less of a threat than they would otherwise be under this change, and combats run faster.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Regicide

Banned
Banned
A few problems. It makes orb wizards even better with the lower saves. It makes a lot of powers that do a bit less damage but tack on a -2 whatever a lot less desireable. It means the DM could be looking at an aditional 3 or 4 saves easily every turn. It doesn't address party stacking there they make their own scores crazy.

I'd recommend using caps. Something like... No creature can suffer more than -5 of the same penalty, be that AC, to-hit etc. Likewise, no player can get a bonus of more than 5 in each thing, like AC etc, unless it's from a single source.

Also, allow a monster to become immune or resistant to the same effect if used repeatedly to prevent something getting stunned for 20 rounds in row.

Elric

First Post
Hmm, you could do something trickier like giving them a save at +0 at start of round and +5 at end of round.

I'm assuming you'd do this as: only the beginning of round saves worked on until end of turn effects. You get saves at the beginning and end of rounds against (save-ends) effect. This would add more saves to what I've got now. Since you're less likely to save against until end of turn effects, solos are weaker against them than under my proposal above.

However, solos are more likely to save against save-ends effects; the average number of rounds goes down from 0.538 to 0.495. Under my fix above, a save-ends effect gets noticeably more average rounds than an until end of next turn effect (0.538 to 0.35). Here the numbers are almost equal; 0.495 for save-ends to 0.45 for until end of next turn. I think you probably want save-ends effects to be longer than until end of turn effects under a system like this. In general I think this would be more complicated and require more rolls than what I have, and I don't know how much it would add.

Edit: If you used a +0 save at the beginning of a round and a +2 save at the end of a round, then the solo would average 0.534 rounds from a save-ends effect, almost the exact same as my proposal above. This would let you make until end of turn effects relatively stronger while leaving save-ends effects unchanged in average duration.

I can also think of a fancier proposal along these lines that doesn't require additional rolling or changing a solo's save modifier to get an effect like this, but instead requires some additional tracking:

A solo has the same +5 bonus to saves as RAW. A solo rolls saves against (save-ends) effects at the start of its turn, after taking ongoing damage, instead of at the end of its turn. If its total is 15 or higher, the effect ends immediately. If its total is 10-14, the effect ends at the end of its turn as usual.

A solo can roll saves against (until end of turn) effects at the start of its turn as well. If its total is 15 or higher, the effect ends immediately; otherwise, the effect wears off at its normal time.

This averages 0.56 rounds for (save ends) effects and 0.45 rounds for (until end of turn) effects. It also removes any problems with making RAW Orb Wizards even stronger.

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
A few problems. It makes orb wizards even better with the lower saves.

I mentioned this in my initial post. However, see my post above this one for a solution that doesn't have this problem.

It makes a lot of powers that do a bit less damage but tack on a -2 whatever a lot less desirable.

This is only against solos, where these powers are already at their strongest, because they affect 5 monster-equivalents. As I mentioned, even under this change these powers are only a little weaker against solos on average in terms of monster-equivalent rounds than they are against elites. Solos don't seem like a large percentage of combats (at least until epic levels, where they make up a large fraction of the monsters), so I doubt characters will be seriously affected by this. In the HR in my post above this one, until end of turn effects are stronger in monster-equivalents against solos than against elites.

It means the DM could be looking at an aditional 3 or 4 saves easily every turn.

Are there that many "until end of next turn effects" that hit on a typical turn of combat? Seems unlikely. If a party has 3 until end of next turn effects per round and, say, hits with 2 of them, then you're adding 2 saves a round.

It doesn't address party stacking there they make their own scores crazy.

I'd recommend using caps. Something like... No creature can suffer more than -5 of the same penalty, be that AC, to-hit etc. Likewise, no player can get a bonus of more than 5 in each thing, like AC etc, unless it's from a single source.

Bonuses from powers tend to be power bonuses, which won't stack. Given this, I don't think stacking bonuses is that relevant for solos in particular, which is the focus of this thread. If a Warlord hit a monster with Lead the Attack, and then Warlord's Favor, the power bonuses wouldn't stack. A change of this sort does nothing about, Stun, Weaken, Daze, and so on.

Also, allow a monster to become immune or resistant to the same effect if used repeatedly to prevent something getting stunned for 20 rounds in row.

This sounds like the kind of ad-hoc by-condition fix that I mentioned as being too hard to implement. "Well, you can have 3 Dazes, 2 combined Stuns + Dominates, etc, before Boss Immunity kicks in."

Last edited:

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
Fixes that rely on altering a subset of conditions affecting solos (e.g., Stunned and Dominated become Dazed; solos ignore Dazed) seem generally unworkable, since they require too many specific rules and will be too hard to use in practice.

Perhaps a solution along those lines wouldn't be too difficult? You could simply give a save at the start of the solo's turn against dazed, dominated, immobilized, restrained, and stunned conditions. You could maybe or maybe not add blinded and weakened to that list.

This would avoid the problem of giving solo's a save against a fighter's mark, which I think is a very unfortunate side effect. It also leaves ongoing damage in place, along with other flavorful conditions that don't take away all or most of the solo's turn.

Also, kudos on a thoughtful post that addresses so many potential issues! :)

keterys

First Post
I actually at one point thought about having lines on the condition chart for what resistance to a condition would give you. That way you could just give out resistance to stun to a solo, or immobilize to a melee only brute, or whatever, and it'd work out.

It's complex enough I didn't think long on it though :)

Elric

First Post
Perhaps a solution along those lines wouldn't be too difficult? You could simply give a save at the start of the solo's turn against dazed, dominated, immobilized, restrained, and stunned conditions. You could maybe or maybe not add blinded and weakened to that list.

Do you mean, solos get their usual +5 bonus to saves, but can save against the above conditions at the start rather than the end of their turn? That leads to 0.25 average rounds for save ends effects with these conditions, and 0.2 average rounds for until end of turn ends effects with these conditions. That's pretty low.

You can see that leaving blinded and weakened unaffected means that they take effect for 5 times as many rounds as the conditions on the above list. So any condition that is left off of the above list is going to be superior to the conditions on it. Changing the relative value of powers in this way seems like a significant negative. You don't want a Paladin wishing he could use Enervating Strike (Encounter 17, weakens) twice rather than having to use that and Stunning Smite (Encounter 27) once every time he runs into a solo.

This would avoid the problem of giving solo's a save against a fighter's mark, which I think is a very unfortunate side effect. It also leaves ongoing damage in place, along with other flavorful conditions that don't take away all or most of the solo's turn.

Thinking about it, if solos were only allowed saves against "until end of turn effects" that came from powers, this would solve the mark problems, as the until end of turn marks are all class features and not powers. I can't think of many class features with (until end of turn) that are too strong against solos, so this seems like a workable fix to the mark issue. Anything I’m forgetting here?

Also, kudos on a thoughtful post that addresses so many potential issues! :)

Thanks. I try :)

Last edited:

Morgan_Scott82

First Post
I think you're trying to paint with too broad a brush here by adding or applying a universal change to the rules. This adds another layer of complexity onto what is generally a very streamlined system, why should saving throws universally work different for solo's than other creatures? It's needlessly complex.

I do agree that solo's are more vulnerable to status effects than other monsters, but I don't think a houserule is the solution. Contrarily I think this issue should be addressed in the design process for writing solos. My earlier discussion of the Solo design process in the thread Elric mentioned at the top of this thread focused mainly on the Action Ratio and how to equalize that ratio of Solo's actions to PC's actions, through action equalizers that let the solo do more with is actions than typical of other monsters or PCs, and action mitigators that limit what the PCs can do with their actions. However I feel this thread highlights another element of solo design that I neglected in my previous discussion: outs. Solos need outs.

An out is any monster power that allows the monster to avoid or mitigate an effect placed on it. Immunity is one kind of out, extra saving throws are another, status effect mitigators are a third. For example lets say I were working on a solo to run in one of my games: Klang, a construct manufactured by a Dwarven artificer to be the ultimate combatant. Klang might have powers like this:

Impact Tested, Battle Ready
Whenever Klang would be effected by the stunned condition, he is dazed instead.

Redundant construction (Recharge 5,6)
Klang rerolls a failed saving throw.

Those are outs. The first spares Kang a more debilitating status effect, but instills a less debilitating one. This is in my opinion vastly superior to a simple entry in the immunity line of the monster's stat block that says "Immune Stun" for several reasons, first and most importantly the players still get mileage out of their powers albeit less than expected. Its very frustrating as a player to throw out some great daily power only to find out the monster is immune and you just wasted a scarce resource. If that feeling can be prevented while still helping the solo to be a viable threat, all to the good. Additionally this out gives the monster a degree of character and flavor that a generic immunity, or a universally applied house rule wouldn't. That mechanical reinforcement of a monster's flavor is one thing that can really help them come alive at the table and make for a memorable fight.

Which is more exciting, making all solos more resistant to all status effects, or giving each solo a custom set of strengths and weaknesses through the judicious use of outs?

One of my favorite priniciples of fourth edition is exception based design, a single simple set of general rules applied all of the time, unless something specific says not to. A house rule making saving throws work differently for solos moves away from this priniciple. I believe having saving throws that work one way most of the time, but a different way of solos is two sets of general rules. All solo's is too general to me, which is one reason I favor specific outs written into monster write ups as specific exceptions.

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
@ Morgan_Scott82: Thoughtful post, and I like the powers you gave Klang (nice names too:)). However, most DMs don't write all their Solo's from scratch. So I think there's a lot of value in what Elric is trying to do, which is create a houserule those DMs can apply to their Solos to help with this issue. Still, I'd love to play as a PC against some of your Solos! They are very flavorful (including the one you posted in the other thread on this topic).

@ Elric: For my suggestion (bonus save at start of term vs. ennumerated conditions) you could make the bonus save be only a regular save (10+ to save) so that it isn't too powerful for the Solo. I also don't mind nerfing stunned compared to weakened against a Solo, b/c stunned is much more powerful. Weakened could be included on the list of effects the Solo saves against. Perhaps all Solos could get a power like the one that Morgan_Scott82 suggested for Klang that gives them a rechargeable free action that gives them a bonus save?

As for your original suggestion (as edited), I like the direction you are moving in, but it still seems too complicated:

Solos get a bonus save at the start of the turn.
It also works against powers that last "Until the End of the Turn."
If they make it by less than five points, the power lasts until the end of their turn.
This doesn't work against "Until End of the Turn" effects that came from class features or other non-power sources.

Remove ads