• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some quick sketches

psyekl

First Post
My players get a kick out of my "quick sketches" I do for my games, so I thought I'd share. The first two are of the adventure area: the Kingdom of Adelot, One of which I did in ink the other with colored pencil, the 3 towns are very quick sketches so that I'd know where the PC's were while interacting with the locals. The Ghoul-tunnels are actually a completed drawing that I thought I'd include, even though it's not really a sketch ;)

Attachments

• Adelot Player's map.jpg
    Adelot Player's map.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Vasil sketch.jpg
    Vasil sketch.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Ghoul Tunnels completed.jpg
    Ghoul Tunnels completed.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Fisk sketch.jpg
    Fisk sketch.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Eledane sketch.jpg
    Eledane sketch.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 205
  • Adelot sketch.jpg
    Adelot sketch.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

psyekl

First Post
Just adding a couple more drawings...

Attachments

• Ghoul tunnels.jpg
    Ghoul tunnels.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 156
  • Shaman's Hut.jpg
    Shaman's Hut.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 167

Sunaj2k3

First Post
The Psyekl comes full circle....

Psyekl,

Great to see you back, your drawings are always sharp and crisp. If you wish, please post more. I like your drawings of buildings best, they look like they were done by an architect.

On a related subject, whatever happened to that book of drawings you were soliciting input for? I hope you're able to publish it oneday.

psyekl

First Post
Here are a couple of line drawings (no details added) that I spent my time on. I'd still like to do a book, but the feedback was disappointing: I like to draw realistic floorplans and dungeons but people don't seem to want them unless they match to a grid. Unfortunately grids don't lend themselves well to realism, so I've been experimenting with reaching a middle ground...

Attachments

• Dwarven Keep.jpg
    Dwarven Keep.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Forshod.jpg
    Forshod.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 184

Lalato

Adventurer
Those are very nice architectural drawings. I'm an arch buff. :)

As for marrying your architectural drawings with th 5-foot square. I would say that you should draw as you do normal, but after you scan the image in, increase the scale so that every 2.5' becomes 5'. This will double the size of your rooms, but probably put them in line with the abstraction of the 5-foot square.

Anyway... That's some really tight work.

--sam

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Ugh, no please dont do that!

I love the realistic style - there's so little of it out there. These are great drawings, I love them!

As for a book keep in mind that PDF's sell relatively little anyway - the discerning customers will find you, and it might open doors for some of the better RPG companies looking to hire freelancers...

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
psyekl said:
Here are a couple of line drawings (no details added) that I spent my time on. I'd still like to do a book, but the feedback was disappointing: I like to draw realistic floorplans and dungeons but people don't seem to want them unless they match to a grid. Unfortunately grids don't lend themselves well to realism, so I've been experimenting with reaching a middle ground...

Very, very nice stuff. If you make a .pdf, and it wasn't unreasonably priced, I would buy it.

RC

Sunaj2k3

First Post
I hope you're able to find that middle ground Psyekl. I, for one, would happily pay for pdfs detailing more on the dwarven keep and the city (I believe it was called Diodet) that you posted a map of in your earlier thread (or if copyright has tied Diodet up--a similar large city).

Inspiration wise (as if you needed any ;) for what you might be shooting for, check out the Selandia campaign at perso.wanadoo.fr/selandia. Its unfortunate that the site's mostly in French, because the maps there are something quite spectacular to behold (although some of the maps are accessible when you hit the american/british flag at the entrance, hit the french flag and click on cartes, plan de villes (city maps), and plans interieurs (building and dungeon maps) to see all of what he has. The fellow who drew the maps drafting skills are not of your calibur, but his maps do strike a good balance between functionality and realism, at least for me (and besides, some of them are really, really huge).

Keep drawing and best of luck.

Lalato

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
Ugh, no please dont do that!

I love the realistic style - there's so little of it out there. These are great drawings, I love them!

As for a book keep in mind that PDF's sell relatively little anyway - the discerning customers will find you, and it might open doors for some of the better RPG companies looking to hire freelancers...

I'm not sure I understand your objection. The original drawings could be alongside the "blown up" D&D versions. :)

--sam

Remove ads