D&D 5E Something to consider about Grognards and the OGL...

I think the only edition of DnD that didn't quite feel like DnD to me was 4e. I still thought it had some great stuff but it just didn't feel right. Meanwhile, pathfinder (both editions), ACKS, all other editions, WoW d20, Conan d20, Astonishing swordsmen and sorcerers of Hyperborea, and likely a host more, all felt like DnD.
Obviously it is different for everyone, but 4e felt like D&D to us. In fact, it is the edition that brought us back to D&D after skipping 2e and 3e.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I think the only edition of DnD that didn't quite feel like DnD to me was 4e. I still thought it had some great stuff but it just didn't feel right. Meanwhile, pathfinder (both editions), ACKS, all other editions, WoW d20, Conan d20, Astonishing swordsmen and sorcerers of Hyperborea, and likely a host more, all felt like DnD.
I think the aspect of 4E which informed its design (that was not present in those other games) was the utter dominance of World of Warcraft at the time.

That, in turn, had an element of play balance between classes that D&D had never had before. There, the point was to balance the party vs the monsters, not members of the party vs each other -- as was one of the balancing factors inherent in PvP play in WoW class design. Diablo influence? Same thing.

I would not pooh-pooh that aspect of things too much. It always in vogue and garners much grognard street cred to dismiss 4e as "video-gamey" with a sneer.

Yeah, well, we might get some of this back in future editions, too. The game is bigger than any of us (it's bigger than WotC, too). And these things can have a rhythm.

jgsugden

Legend
I get the emotional investment, but I might suggest you have misplaced it a bit. D&D the Game, is just that, a game: some published rules in a book. Just some text on a page.
You do not understand what I am saying. That may be all it is to you. For others, it is far more.

What you really have the connection to is what you have made with the game: thousands of memories. What you have made from some rules on a page. No one can touch that.
That is part of it, but you're oversimplifying long standing emotional attachment to something. My request was that you consider that there is more to this - emotionally - for people than you are recognizing.

You do not understand what I am saying. That may be all it is to you. For others, it is far more.

That is part of it, but you're oversimplifying long standing emotional attachment to something. My request was that you consider that there is more to this - emotionally - for people than you are recognizing.
I also see you don't understand, or something more. So that just leaves it as it is.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I would not pooh-pooh that aspect of things too much. It always in vogue and garners much grognard street cred to dismiss 4e as "video-gamey" with a sneer.
It would have made a great video game though. Thinking of games like final fantasy tactics, 4e would have been a mean version of that. I was always disappointed that a decent 4e game focusing on the tactical side of combat where it excelled didn't show up.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have played through all editions and put up with a lot from the company that makes it.

I mentioned T&R in another thread, and still remember reading the Dragon were Gygax revealed that he had left the company.

The name on the tin might matter. D&D current popularity and recognition is great, or at least it was until a few weeks ago. Its actually not going away, its just lost some of its sheen, as it has many time before.

But at some point you become a true grognard, and decide that what you have is enough, and you don't need more from that company. Not clear if I am there yet or not.

Clint_L

Hero
It would have made a great video game though. Thinking of games like final fantasy tactics, 4e would have been a mean version of that. I was always disappointed that a decent 4e game focusing on the tactical side of combat where it excelled didn't show up.
Wizkids just released a tabletop skirmish game called Onslaught that apparently is pretty influenced by the 4e rules.

Voadam

Legend
Been through this type of stuff before with WotC and their pendulum swings.

4e they cut off access to the old edition PDFs they had been selling to try and direct everyone to buy the new books any way they could including cutting off old D&D stuff. There was even the corporate messaging misdirection "We are cutting off legal PDF sales to combat piracy!" Which left only pirate copies if you wanted PDFs. This significantly ticked me off, I had been regularly buying D&D PDFs from WotC and they cut that off in an attempt to control where I spent my money, an attempt to drive my purchases to the new edition physical books. I instead switched to just buying other companies' PDFs and continuing to play 3.5 D&D.

4e also had no OGL, so you couldn't use an SRD to get into the new edition the way you could with 3.5, you had to buy the books first to check out the edition. So I didn't, I kept playing what I had and buying stuff from other companies. In 3.0 and 3.5 I was using the SRD as a player and DM and buying stuff from WotC and their licensees (Ravenloft stuff from Arthaus), plus OGL stuff. WotC was making it more difficult to get in as a D&D player so they could try and control more of the market and extract more money from customers. I was angry at them and chose to spend my money elsewhere.

Eventually they had the GSL which initially had a poison pill clause to cut out old and new OGL stuff. Later once nobody picked it up, they revised the license to remove the poison pill clause and just have terrible revocable and changeable terms at any time for WotC to control stuff heavily. A few started to use this license, but it was very few and fairly limited especially compared to the 3.5 OGL output at the time. So I was not tempted by a lot of GSL stuff, I kept spending money on OGL and non-D&D PDFs.

Eventually they had a PDF with basic rules out so you could check out the 4e system. I did and liked it. Once I joined a group that was playing 4e I bought an amazon deal on the first two PHs and enjoyed the system. I am a fan of the 4e rules system. I still spent a lot of my RPG budget on OGL and non-D&D stuff in the 4e era because of the lack of 4e PDFs and limited GSL PDFs.

Eventually WotC reinstated most D&D PDFs on DriveThru (but not on Paizo), and with 5e they eventually made it OGL with a bare bones SRD so there is a lot of great 5e OGL material. I like 5e and these were positive steps in the right direction for me.

Now we are back to WotC being adversarial to me as a customer, trying to actively cut off stuff I like and want so they can exert more control over the market and attempt to extract more money from their customers.

Remove ads