• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Somewhat OT] Mention of D&D on VH1's "I Love the 80s"

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
1980's

A lot of talk about music.
A lot of talk about fashion.
A lot of talk about cartoons.
A lot of talk about TV.

A few things were forgotten in the rush...

The fall of the Berlin Wall.
Watching the hippies but the revolution for Nikes and BMW's.
The Televangalists ranting and raving about AD&D while committing sexual acts that would make the biggest middle-ages pervert die of shame.
The explosion of computers from business and government machines into a device in nearly every home. The Mac, the C-64, the Amiga, the PS-1, all of those.
Operation Just Cause
Eddie Murphy and a lot of other comedians.
Spandex tube tops
Skintight leather
Cool colored hair
The crumbling of the Soviet Union.

I think, for the most part, you got out of it what you put into it.

blackshirt5

First Post
Re: 1980's

Warlord Ralts said:

Spandex tube tops
Skintight leather
Cool colored hair

If anything were brought back from the 80's I'd loveit if it were these.

Of course, all on females(except for the hair, I like mine dyed silver).

Gizzard

First Post
A few things were forgotten in the rush...

I assume you mean in this thread? The "I love the 80's" show covered most of these subjects.

I had never before seen the footage of David Hasselhof singing "Freedom" on the top of the Berlin Wall while dressed in a leather jacket studded with electric lights. But it was in last nights '89 show. Fabulous. ;-)

Sanackranib

First Post
tv and D&D

it's not just the music channels, there was an x-files episode that mentioned d7d that was pretty humourous. somthig like I learned every thing I know about honor and courage from playing D&D. everyone I gamed with thought it was pretty funny.;)

blackshirt5

First Post
Also, in the episode where they explain the origins of the Lone Gunmen, the long haired one(can't remember his name off the top of my head) is playing D&D and betting money on it. I think he says, "Come on, Daddy needs a new rapier of wounding."

Funny funny stuff.

Kilmore

First Post
Well, I think a lot of us really remember the music because it was really a soundtrack to what was happening and what we were doing at the time.

Hell, today I find myself nostalgic about music I hated in the '80's like Duran Duran, Culture Club, Depeche Mode, and so on.

But Heavy Metal ruled the '80's, especially the first few years after The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal invaded the states.

My three most listended to CD's of the past month:

Black Sabbath: Born Again (with Ian Gillan) 1982
Venom: Welcome to Hell 1981?
Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith 1984
with some Iron Maiden and Motorhead sprinkled in for flavor.

Oh! And Stephen Cannell bears honorable mention too for his masterpieces the A-Team and the Dukes of Hazzard. The only time in my life I was ever glued to the TV.

Storminator

First Post
Kilmore said:
Well, I think a lot of us really remember the music because it was really a soundtrack to what was happening and what we were doing at the time.

Hell, today I find myself nostalgic about music I hated in the '80's like Duran Duran, Culture Club, Depeche Mode, and so on.

But Heavy Metal ruled the '80's, especially the first few years after The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal invaded the states.

My three most listended to CD's of the past month:

Black Sabbath: Born Again (with Ian Gillan) 1982
Venom: Welcome to Hell 1981?
Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith 1984
with some Iron Maiden and Motorhead sprinkled in for flavor.

Oh! And Stephen Cannell bears honorable mention too for his masterpieces the A-Team and the Dukes of Hazzard. The only time in my life I was ever glued to the TV.

You da man, Kilmore! :D

Defenders of the Faith is one of my favorites of all time, and I've been playing Iron Maiden and Killers into the ground this month.

PS

Remove ads