D&D 5E Sorcerous Origin Bonus Spells

What are your thoughts on giving all sorcerous origins bonus spells by level in the same way storm origin sorcerers get them? In other words, they gain two spells at sorcerer levels 3, 5, and 7; and one spell at level 9 that don’t count against spells known and are appropriate for their origin.

Context is I’m considering rule-of-cooling it regardless of balance and giving the phoenix sorcerer at my table some bonus spells (currently they’re a Phoenix Sorcerer 3 / Paladin 2):

PHOENIX SORCERER BONUS SPELLS by Sorcerer Level
Level 1 Burning Hands - Hellish Rebuke
Level 3 Continual Flame - Scorching Ray
Level 5 Fireball - Feign Death
Level 7 Fire Shield - Guardian of Faith

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I have done this for several players in my games that have used sorcerers. They had fun and were able to balance thematic spells with some versatility.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'm inclined to agree, having played two sorcerers recently. While they are functional as is, the balance is not so delicate that it will be broken by a few extra spells (although, if you go outside the sorcerer spell list, consider the potential for metamagic combos).

I like the idea presented in the original post. Very similar to how I handled converting an Undead Bloodline Sorcerer from Pathfinder to 5E. Not overpowering, at all.

GlassJaw

Hero
There's no doubt sorcerers need something else. What that something else is is clearly up for debate but origin bonus spells seems like a no-brainer to me.

In my world, sorcerers of different origins have completely different spell lists.

While I like this idea, it certainly requires more changes to the RAW. Definitely a good way to give sorcerers some much-needed differentiation from the wizard though.

Li Shenron

Legend
What are your thoughts on giving all sorcerous origins bonus spells by level in the same way storm origin sorcerers get them? In other words, they gain two spells at sorcerer levels 3, 5, and 7; and one spell at level 9 that don’t count against spells known and are appropriate for their origin.

I think it's a fine house rule that doesn't break the game, but I don't feel like it's the most interesting way to buff the Sorcerer. I would rather buff the metamagic abilities, so that instead of getting closer to the Wizard it actually gets farther away.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I prefer the application of the spell point variant and the combination of that with the sorcerer point pool as a means of buffing the sorcerer, personally.

Remove ads