D&D General Source Material: "The Knight of the Swords" by Michael Moorcock

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Honestly, from what I remember about the Moorcock books (in general, not that one in particular), there is little linked to the rules, combat in particular is not really detailed. However, I'm pretty sure that the Law vs. Chaos theme is what started the alignment chart of early D&D, and was kept on in AD&D.
Elrics specific combat moves were very elaborated in his early combat scenes and often could even be identified in some modern d&ds. But I agree its earliest impact was likely Law and Chaos axis

Lyxen

Great Old One
Moorcock influenced law, chaos and neutrality(balance) in D&D. I'd also bet that the Sword of Life Stealing was based in large part on Stormbringer and Mournblade.

Indeed, however I think the greatest Stormbringer/Mournblade derivation was actually Blackrazor. :)

And, obviously, the melnibonean section in the AD&D DDG remains one of my favourites, both for the contents and the illustrations...

Old School FRP — Elric of Melniboné (Jeff Dee from the...
Pin on Dieties & Demigods

Lyxen

Great Old One
Lots of fantasy conventions including the multiplanar multiverse could be argued as sourced in Moorcock, The Witcher is kind of a nicer more down to earth elric LOL

Hmmm... I'm not sure about that. Both are great heroes, with white hair, but apart from this I think there are more differences than similarities.

In all books that I can remember clearly, Elric, Corum, Erekose in particular, very clearly, Law is depicted as good and fair, whereas Chaos is depicted as evil and sly.

After that, I agree that D&D made it more into a matrix, but if you look at early D&D alignment, Lawful people are quite good and all villains are chaotic.

That's what I thought, which is why the above is bizarre to me.

Which one where these, I don't think I've read them?
Sounds like you may have juxtaposed your belief system onto your memories.

Remove ads