D&D 5E Spell Level Cap Below 9th

MechaPilot

Explorer
I've been considering running a game where I cap the maximum spell level at 5th level. I'd be using the spell-point variant, and I'd be keeping the available spell points at each level and the cost for spells of each level the same as listed in the DMG. The primary change I'd be instituting is at what levels the classes get access to higher level spells.

1st lvl spells @ 1st level,
2nd lvl spells @ 5th level,
3rd lvl spells @ 9th level,
4th lvl spells @ 13th level, and
5th lvl spells @ 17th level.

What I'm attempting to achieve by doing this is to create a feeling that high-end magic is less powerful in the game setting, and that the world's distant gods means no access to high-end miracles. However, I'm not trying to punish people for taking a caster class; hence the casters don't receive any fewer spell points.

What do you think of this approach? Do you have any thoughts, concerns, or criticisms.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I've been considering running a game where I cap the maximum spell level at 5th level. I'd be using the spell-point variant, and I'd be keeping the available spell points at each level and the cost for spells of each level the same as listed in the DMG. The primary change I'd be instituting is at what levels the classes get access to higher level spells.

1st lvl spells @ 1st level,
2nd lvl spells @ 5th level,
3rd lvl spells @ 9th level,
4th lvl spells @ 13th level, and
5th lvl spells @ 17th level.

What I'm attempting to achieve by doing this is to create a feeling that high-end magic is less powerful in the game setting, and that the world's distant gods means no access to high-end miracles. However, I'm not trying to punish people for taking a caster class; hence the casters don't receive any fewer spell points.

What do you think of this approach? Do you have any thoughts, concerns, or criticisms.

The rest doesn't matter so much but you need to get 3rd level spells at 5th level

mortwatcher

Explorer
so you are pretty much ensuring that most people will roll a martial class, as this will not affect their power curve, but will significantly butcher that of a caster

I suppose it is one way of doing it

Coroc

Hero
The better reason to limiting magic level would be a low magic setting. Still @FrogReaver is right you need to keep the spell progression as is. And 5th level as maximum is also a good choice.
But to really balance it out versus martial classes would be to heavy, heavy, heavily restrict magic items especially magic weapons, and not have the above +1 or comparable powerlevel and also make them available only at later levels if at all.
The reason behind this is in a low magic setting there would be less amount of magic items anyway but also to compensate that the caster does not get higher level spells.

Instead of spell points:
You could eventually also give the slots but no spells for it, so upcasting still possible.

Or you give lower level slot each time a RAW char would get a slot. E.g. when he would get a 6th give an additional 3rd instead, or two, 7th ->4rth etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases