Spell-like ability use when silenced

two

First Post
Do spell-like abilities, for example if you can cast Mirror Image as a spell-like ability, require somatic, verbal, or material components as the spell?

Can you use a spell-like ability when in a silence field?

How about when grappled, and can't get the material component associated with the spell of the same name?

3d6

Explorer
Spell-like abilities do not use any components.
SRD:
Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components).

Last edited:

Otterscrubber

First Post
So yes, you can use a spell like ability in a silence field. They can tell you are using one because you still need to concentrate to use the ability, apparently you need to concentrate just like casting a spell but you dont need to say anything or wave your hands around. This is what gets you the AoO.

Crothian

First Post
The Spectrum Rider said:
I have to admit - I wonder what the creature *is* doing (physically), since spell-like abilities provoke an AoO. How can an opponent tell?

Same way a Wizard still provokes an AoO when he does a silence, stilled, eschewed spell.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The Spectrum Rider said:
I have to admit - I wonder what the creature *is* doing (physically), since spell-like abilities provoke an AoO. How can an opponent tell?
AoO is provoked not by what he does, but by what he fails to do.

Characters in combat are presumed to be constantly moving around, parrying and dodging, and otherwise looking to avoid getting clocked. A character who does something time-consuming, like casting a spell or drinking a potion, must take some of his attention away from the battle. It's the lack of attention that gives his enemies an opportunity for a clear swing at him; that's why we call it an attack of opportunity.

Someone using a spell-like ability has to concentrate for a few seconds, diverting his attention slightly from the battle. Opponents might not know exactly what he's doing, but they will spot any opening in his defense, and take that extra swing.

Sejs

First Post

Concentrating. Focusing their attention. Hard.

You can tell because your opponent just stopped what it was doing before and started concentrating. Really hard. Stopped moving for a bit, brow furrowed, generally constipated look, no longer looking around - that sorta thing.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
AuraSeer said:
AoO is provoked not by what he does, but by what he fails to do.

Characters in combat are presumed to be constantly moving around, parrying and dodging, and otherwise looking to avoid getting clocked. A character who does something time-consuming, like casting a spell or drinking a potion, must take some of his attention away from the battle. It's the lack of attention that gives his enemies an opportunity for a clear swing at him; that's why we call it an attack of opportunity.

Someone using a spell-like ability has to concentrate for a few seconds, diverting his attention slightly from the battle. Opponents might not know exactly what he's doing, but they will spot any opening in his defense, and take that extra swing.

Of course, someone who is held does not provoke an AoO, but someone who is held, and using a SLA does.

-Hyp.

FireLance

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
Of course, someone who is held does not provoke an AoO, but someone who is held, and using a SLA does.

-Hyp.

[OT]I guess you could always houserule it that a helpless opponent attracts AOOs from all creatures that threaten it, on top of being vulnerable to CDGs.[/OT]

Remove ads