D&D 5E Spell list for removing Concentration

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Since the other thread is about discussion regarding what changes to make to Concentration and what other houserules can be made to spell to make them better I thought I would make one with an actual list that can be discussed. This is only for the houserule of removing Concentration from some spells. This houserule alone does not balance all spells and that is okay. Making some progress is better than making no progress.

I feel like it is best to err on the side of having Concentration. Some spells may remain niche and that is okay.

The List:

*Only one of these spells may be active for the character at a time.

Cantrips:

Dancing Lights
Friends
True Strike

1st Level:

Bane
Detect Evil and Good
Detect Magic
Detect Poison and Disease
Ensnaring Strike
Expeditious Retreat
Hail of Thorns
Searing Smite
Thunderous Smite

Witch Bolt
Wrathful Smite

2nd Level:

Barkskin
Branding Smite
Flame Blade
Magic Weapon
Mind Spike
Ray of Enfeeblement
Skywrite
Spider Climb

3rd Level:

Blinding Smite
Elemental Weapon
Flame Arrows
Lightning Arrow
Vampiric Touch

4th Level:

Shadow of Moil
Staggering Smite
Stoneskin

5th Level:

Banishing Smite
Danse Macabre
Enervation
Immolation
Skill Empowerment

6th Level:

Find the Path
Move Earth
Sunbeam

7th Level:

Mordenkainen's Sword

8th Level:

Animal Shapes
Control Weather

9th Level:

Storm of Vengeance

Last edited:

I mostly agree. I don't see how it much matters with out of combat stuff like Skywrite and Control Weather though. Also a lot of them seem to be ones which are concentration on the theory that you can cast them on other people and they don't want you enchanting the whole party and their pets simultaneously. The better solution on some might be to make them concentration free when cast on yourself. Casting Dragon's Breath on a familiar concentration free has very different action economy implications than casting it on yourself.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I mostly agree. I don't see how it much matters with out of combat stuff like Skywrite and Control Weather though. Also a lot of them seem to be ones which are concentration on the theory that you can cast them on other people and they don't want you enchanting the whole party and their pets simultaneously. The better solution on some might be to make them concentration free when cast on yourself. Casting Dragon's Breath on a familiar concentration free has very different action economy implications than casting it on yourself.

The out of combat spells matter because casting another concentration spell ends them. So that 8 hour long spell needs to be dropped when a combat happens.

As far as buffing allies I think it depends on the spell. Good point about Fire Breath on a familiar. I think using up 4th level spells to spread Stoneskin around is fine though.

Remove ads