• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell List vs Ritual List

Traycor

Explorer
So, in some of the early 4E info, we were told that a wizard would not have to choose between Fireball and Phantom Steed. I can only assume that Fireball will be a spell, and Phantom Steed will be a ritual.

So... what current spells (any class) do you think will make the jump to rituals?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
-Long-range teleportation (I think this is confirmed)
-Scrying
-All kinds of summoning and conjuration
-All long-term buffs (e.g. Overland Flight)
-Any spells that are primarily out-of-combat. Knock, for example.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Basically any spell that does not have a direct combat application, including, as previously mentioned spells that have been "Fixed" to be removed as combat spells such as Summonings. I also think that typical spells used to overcome non-combat obstacles such as Levitate will fall into this category as well.

Sitara

Explorer
-Raise dead is a ritual (this has been comfirmed.)

further more, animating the dead (skeletons) will also probably be a ritual.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Anything that currently has a casting time of longer than a standard action will probably jump up to become a ritual, along with some other stuff as noted above.

I really hope the speculation about summoning being too slow for combat is wrong...unless it's balanced by having the summoned critters stay around a lot longer than they do now. I mean, it's *fun* sending an army of idiots into the fray that don't have players attached! :)

Lanefan

Lackhand

First Post
Summoning is fun, but it just annoys me to have wizards wave a hand and poof, instant (fairly respectable) servitor!

I can see bringing big monsters out of an item, but for some reason I really need a rune circle and candles and a blood sacrifice, even at high levels, to bring in a Big Gun.

Maybe the best combination would be to have a ritual that lets you summon a beastie, with whom you bargain to travel with your group in disguise/to go incorporeal/to be stuck inside a bottle until you choose to discharge its obligation?

Sitara

Explorer
I agree with lackhand.

Plus while i am a fan of summonings they are a pain in the ass due to the extra rolls and keeping track of them.

I hope summonings become a ritual that takes a long time to cast with a circle/pentagram and everything; also I prefer summoning one big powerful nastie rather than a horde of weaklings that only delay the inevitable. Seriously, the monster summoning list (summon onster I-X) was utter crap. Seriously, summon dire fiendish boar??? Yeah I bet that fits a lot of fantasy worlds out there. *roll eyes*

Summoning daemons though; now that is in line with most types of fantastical fiction from conan to mmidkemia to westeros.

Dausuul

Legend
What I wonder about rituals is what sort of limiting factors will apply to them. Material components? Action point costs? Per-day limits? Something else that we haven't heard of yet?

I'd like to see rituals cost action points, or some equivalent. I find this is a more effective limiting mechanism than material components, due to WBL inflation--a material component cost that is prohibitive at the level you first get the spell is trivial 5 or 10 levels later, but an action point is always a substantial expenditure. Moreover, it's a lot easier to slip up and hand out too much gold than it is to slip up and hand out too many action points.

Last edited:

Lackhand

First Post
I'd guess that they work the way rituals did in Unearthed Arcana (and I think they were reprinted in DMG II? Or am I making that up?)

They're gated on fairly ridiculous skill checks, such that if you can't pass that check on a 10, you're sad (or better yet, on a 5 -- because you have to make three or four of them). There is backlash, as I recall. These combine to make it so that they'll effectively cost action points :) They also certainly have material component and foci costs, so that's GP.

Ah. Incantations. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm -- same thing, I think.

Remove ads