Spell Resistance and Multiple Magical Attack Question?

Aluvial

Explorer
When you cast a spell at a creature that allows multiple attacks, for example, Magic Missile; do you roll for spell resistance for each missile, or one roll for the spell itself?

What about SR versus multiple magic ranged attacks or ranged touch attacks?

I can't off hand think of a spell with multiple ranged attack rolls, but Stars of Avendor rings a bell...

Aluvial

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Aluvial said:
I can't off hand think of a spell with multiple ranged attack rolls, but Stars of Avendor rings a bell...

Scorching Ray, for example?

From the DMG:

"Check spell resistance only once for any particular casting of a spell or use of a spell-like ability. If spell resistance fails the first time, it fails each time the creature encounters that same casting of the spell. Likewise, if the spell resistance succeeds the first time, it always succeeds. If the creature has voluntarily lowered its spell resistance and is then subjected to a spell, the creature still has a single chance to resist that spell later, when its spell resistance is up."

-Hyp.

Bauglir

First Post
The Temple of Elemental Evil CRPG resolved SR individually for each missile. This made Magic Missile a very useful spell against spell resistant enemies - there was a good chance of getting at least _some_ effect through. I can't remember for sure but I *think* Neverwinter Nights was the same...

Would be a bit hard on the bookkeeping to do this in a P&P game though, especially when dealing with spells like the Orb spells which can produce quite a few missiles.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
noeuphoria said:
There's many reasons you should be glad you didn't play it, that being the least of them.

Well, whatever. Wouldn't play it, anyway. At least not for long. Singleplayer games can't capture me for more than a week or two any more. Multiplayer is the only thing that's really fun, for more than a couple of hours until I know the behaviour of the computer-controlled enemies. So yay for NWN, UT and T:V

Remove ads