• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spellcasters and Balance in 5e: A Poll

Should spellcasters be as effective as martial characters in combat?

• 1. Yes, all classes should be evenly balanced for combat at each level.

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 2. Yes, spellcasters should be as effective as martial characters in combat, but in a different way

Votes: 111 53.9%
  • 3. No, martial characters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • 4. No, spellcasters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 5. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 27 13.1%

• Poll closed .

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yeah but attacking was the delivery method of the rider, not the delivery method of more damage. At least not without allies in the mix. The rider was the exciting part.
Well, to be fair that was the case for almost every class in the game - not just warlords.

Valor Bard isn't that great at fighting compared to a Fighter, but gets full casting. Take that Full Casting away and give them leader abilities instead and maybe give them better armor in the process of removing Full Castng and I think you'd have a character who can fight but is valued for his leadership.
I don't see that working. It'd be alot like saying, let's take the casters full caster abilities away and give them martial abilities to compensate. You'd have to ramp up martial abilities significantly stronger post level 5 to keep up.

I read through the spheres one. It's kind of cool but just feels really underpowered. Also, it kind of feels rather artificery to me.

Scholars can work in Adventures of Middle Earth because its an extremely low magic setting where you can't even play a Wizard.
With the Sphere's of Might one it's intended to be used with the Spheres system, so that's where a lot of the power would come from.

Mind you I haven't played it, or analysed it in depth, so it may still be underpowered.

The Star Wars one is probably closest to what people here are talking about as it's built of the Battlemaster maneuver system.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Ah, okay then! If martial abilities need to be significantly ramped up past level 5 to be on par with casters then I am in favor of significantly ramping up martial abilities past level 5.
Do it ina new game or with a total class rewrite. You can’t do it with a single new class or you ruin the balance the game does have.

Remove ads