• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spellcasters and Balance in 5e: A Poll

Should spellcasters be as effective as martial characters in combat?

• 1. Yes, all classes should be evenly balanced for combat at each level.

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 2. Yes, spellcasters should be as effective as martial characters in combat, but in a different way

Votes: 111 53.9%
  • 3. No, martial characters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • 4. No, spellcasters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 5. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 27 13.1%

• Poll closed .

Undrave

Legend
When you tone it down, that leader who can warrior starts to look more and more like the warrior that can leader.
Let me put it this way…

let’s say you have a typical 5 man band party. Each member contributes 20% of effort toward the party’s 100% power. Swap one of the member for a Warlord. That warlord only brings 10% of the effort themselces, but makes everybody else 5% stronger, effectively making the party at 110% power compared to the precious party. A lot of people wouldn’t even notice the effect until the warlord player is out sick and what is actually the same power as the precious party without a member (80%) suddenly feels like 70% actually. And if somebody else goes missing the part drops down by 25% and goes to 85% and nobody notice again.

unless you’re the warlord player and you see your friends suceeding all the time.

of course, that 110% ideal isn’t easy to reach. Playing a Warlord well isn’t as easy as a Champion, for exemple. Just like playing a caster perfectly isn’t easy. But as long as the party hovers around 100%, nobody’s gonna feel like you’re too OP or too weak.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm with you on Bard.

I don't find Barbarian to be a dumb name - though it's mechanic doesn't necessarily tie into the class name.
That makes it a dumb name.

Anyway, my Scholar would be a non-sneaky rogue
  • Hit Points: 1d8 per Scholar level
  • Proficiencies:
    • Armor: Light armor and shields
    • Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, light crossbows, and heavy crossbows
    • Tools: Any one artisan's tool
    • Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
    • Skills: Choose four from Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Medicine, Nature and Religion
It would get 2 expertise and be able to Help as a bonus action. At level 2, a scholar would get "Brain Points" and can spend them to do things like use an object, replace their Str or Dex save with an Int Save, reload their Initiative, deal bonus damage to a "flanked" foe, or add proficiency to an improvised action or weapon attack.

The warlord subclass would get martial weapons, medium weapons, and heavy armor. They could spend "Brain Points" to give allies attack and actions allowing for impromptu volleys and shield walls or give inspiration to add HP.

There would be an occulist, theologian, detective, and aristocrat subclasses that have more uses of "Brain Points"

At level 17, they invent an automatic rifle (arcane, divine,or mundane their choice).

You asked why both can't exist. Let me try to explain.

Under the current classes, if my concept is elite warrior that is a great leader I pick Fighter/Battlemaster and pick the appropriate manuevers and I'm both a top tier warrior and a top tier leader. Now suppose we created a warlord class with much better leader mechanics and minimal warrior mechanics. I no longer can play a class that is an elite warrior and a great leader. I must choose elite warrior and average leader or great leader and average warrior.

You are only a great martial leader because nothing else exists! People are saying that Battlemaster leader shouldn’t be the weakness of a martial leader. The peakness of a martial leader should and can be much more, and you need to get to those levels to model certain fictional concepts and stay reasonably balanced as a game construct. So, yes, once you raise the bar on leadership you no longer can be both elite warrior and elite leader for balance sake.

I kinda get how this diminishes your concept, but since the current implementation of "elite martial leader" wasn't that great, I don't see it as a big loss to move that to average or good fictional leadership positioning. People don't get to have concepts where they are both elite warriors and elite spellcasters either. It's a design choice that opens up the Elite leadership/good fighting concept I guess at the expense of Elite leadership / Elite Warrior concept. But since the current Elite Leader concept implementation is pretty lame, we are just losing some relative status. You still have the Elite Fighter/good leader Battlemaster, which apparently a bunch of people are happy with anyway.

So is this your actual objection, and you actually do understand the concept of leader first/Warlord prime or not? If so, this objection is something I kinda understand. If you still don't understand the concept of leader first, we probably just don't have enough common ground to have any real discussion.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised you and ECMO3 are still fighting the concept of leader first/Warlord Prime given you both seemed to have engaged with Undrave's Warlord homebrew in good faith. It may not be your thing and you may never use it but you seemed to get what he was trying to do? I haven't looked it over in detail, but Undrave's homebrew seems to be trying to create a leader first/Warlord Prime class that can't be recreated well using current other classes/subclasses. With its Shouts, etc. it seems like a character where you are a better leader than the Battlemaster in exchange for some fighting prowess.

It's hard to see where you are actually coming from because half the time you seem to just not acknowledge the leader first concept (which basically means there is no conversation) and then sometimes you do, but you are worried about relative positioning of the Battlemaster leader or balance between casters and martials (which are more interesting things we can talk about once the Elite leader / good warrior concept is acknowledged).

Well, to be fair that was the case for almost every class in the game - not just warlords.

I don't see that working. It'd be alot like saying, let's take the casters full caster abilities away and give them martial abilities to compensate. You'd have to ramp up martial abilities significantly stronger post level 5 to keep up.

Which probably needs to be done anyway but that is another issue.

But isn't that another Pro for making the Warlord a seperate class? Then it doesn't have to be compared to only Fighters -- it should compare well against all classes?

I mean the leader first / warlord prime is a leader / support concept that is martial. Shouldn't this leader / support class be comparable to the leader / support arcane class that is the Bard in terms of power and impact?

By making the Warlord a new class we don't have to be bound by the fighter and its flaws.

Fighter still has its niche and should be played: many people have a concept of pure elite warrior which it models best, many people want a simple hit it class, many people apparently really don't care about balance and mechanics and can make up any short falls through skilled play

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
There are a number of Battlemaster Manuevers that don't mimic anything that a 4e Fighter did and instead mimic what a 4e Warlord did. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think the Battlemaster was intended to allow you to play a number of different concepts, one being the warlord.
And we literally cannot know which of us is right, because it would require us to have internal documents from the post-public-playtest phase (when the vast majority of these maneuvers were created, because again, remember that something like half or more of 5e only crystallized in the last 6 months before it went to print!)

It's low level features are painful. By high level it actually looks decent.
Having to wait until high level to actually get your class fantasy was, as I understood it, one of the specific things 5e was trying to tackle. This, at the very least, would seem to be an admission of partial failure.

That bad EK comparison keeps getting brought up repeatedly. Should be obvious that repeating it 15 billion times doesn't make it a more compelling point.
You may not find it compelling, but it rather succinctly communicates what I--and others--have wanted. And it's not unique to this thread. People, at the very least myself, have been saying this for literally years, that the Eldritch Knight is to the Wizard what we see the Battle Master being to the Warlord: a thin, pale shadow, something that, yes, it does contain a seed of the baseline mechanics/concept, but it is far to fundamentally Fighter-y to ACTUALLY do the job. I mean, if the BM contained ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER of the Warlord, you wouldn't even bother suggesting it--but by that same token, the Valor Bard and Inquisitive/Mastermind Rogue contain something of the Warlord while still failing to hit the mark.

To perhaps turn this around: What, exactly, does the Wizard (not its subclasses, just the base class itself) do for its concept that the Eldritch Knight doesn't? The only class features a Wizard had prior to Tasha's were Arcane Recovery, Spell Mastery, and Signature Spells--and both of the last two are literally just "cast more of the spells you like most." All three are about as flavor-packed as boiled oats. The only other thing that EKs can't do that Wizards can is transcribe spells. Is that really SO dramatically important that it, alone, makes the EK completely and thoroughly disconnected from the Wizard class concept? I...just don't buy it myself. "Spell research" is effectively a non-entity for the Wizard; I've gone on record both here and at GITP that this is actually the biggest reason why people don't feel the Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer are sufficiently distinct, because the Wizard literally doesn't do anything to support its concept besides "cast MOAR SPELZ."

I'd say you have barely scratched the surface. But it's a start.

Option 1 - also has the following cons: conceptual overlap with different mechanical implementations. Lessens the Fighters already space - leaving him more and more fighting man and nothing else. Adding in very many different mechanics for similar things can cause issues with bounded accuracy and/or multiclassing.
"Conceptual overlap" is already covered by "reduplicated effort." And, as noted, I don't actually see this as REDUCING the Fighter's space at all; I see it as letting the Fighter be focused on, y'know, doing actual Fightery things. Particularly since we're talking about a subclass, which the Fighter can totally keep. Like...adding the Warlord literally does not require that we change ONE THING about the Fighter, so you're inventing a con that doesn't exist. Further, I already covered multiclassing as a con, so....yeah, you're definitely just repeating what I already said there.

The bounded accuracy thing, though, is an idea I hadn't covered. What do you mean by this? I had assumed whatever a Warlord did would already be perfectly fine with that, since it's kind of a central design conceit regardless of my feelings on the matter (and regardless of the fact that it is neither particularly bounded, nor particularly about accuracy.)

Option 2 - There are also variant classes, not just errata.
I'd need to know what you mean by this difference. See above with my "an ultra-heavily errata'd class is effectively a brand-new class." Like...people got real damn salty about the "class feature variants" in the UA, particularly things like Spell Versatility, to the point that when SV was removed you literally had a thread on this forum titled, verbatim, "Spell Versatility is GONE. Rejoice!" Complete with posters legitimately expressing glee that Sorcerers, very specifically, weren't going to get it. People didn't treat Tasha's much differently from a full-on errata, and you can see from things like the angst about racial ability scores and the like that people fear Tasha's-like "variants" almost as much as they fear formal errata.

Option 3 - This is more the - we have considered the pros and cons of the possible solutions and determined that the doing nothing solution is better than one of the bad solutions we have.
From your own phrasing, it sounded pretty clear to me that you didn't exactly see this as a positive thing. At the very least, what you've said isn't really a pro or a con; it's just (effectively) an admission that the problem, despite being a problem, is too difficult to solve. Which...is a pretty bad sign, all things considered, given that this was supposed to be the light and flexible edition with "modules" and the like. To be genuinely unable to solve a class balance problem would reflect rather badly on 5e.

Manuevers are very flexible.
Not in my experience. They do one pretty specific thing each, and that pretty specific thing is often not particularly useful (a lot of the maneuvers are, frankly, trash....and, as generally agreed by most class guides, the "Warlord-like" ones are at least mediocre if not outright bad, barring special circumstances or ideal party compositions.)

The specific battlemaster implementation does them both well. Not great, but well.
Not in my experience. You do a couple of potentially interesting things, and then nothing at all until you get a short rest. And because short rests are quite rare (most groups do 1, maybe 2 short rests a day), you're getting MAYBE 12 once-a-round things you can do. Whereas the Wizard has 12 powerful, encounter-defining things they can do (counting Arcane Recovery) at fifth level, a mere two levels after the Battle Master gets maneuvers at all. And it only goes up from there.

That's not ever been a part of the Warlord concept. Most fictional Warlords were also very capable warriors. I think alot of people are probably happy that 5e doesn't ask players to pick between an elite warrior that leads and a lesser warrior that leads better.
Firstly: actually, yes, it HAS been part of the Warlord concept. It was literally part of the 4e Warlord concept. So...I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Second: You make it sound like it's a choice between "good thing, or bad thing that gets compensation." It's not--because we're not even talking about a choice at that level. where the classes already exist. It is, at present a choice between "you only have one option and it's not really very good for what you want, for several reasons," and "you could actually have two options, which could be tailored to suit their strengths." We're talking about the potential to craft a new solution that need not take anything at all from the Fighter. Just like how you could (for example) make an "Anointed" subclass of Fighter that is (effectively) a "divine EK," and not take anything from the Paladin or Cleric by doing so. It's quite possible to have rather fine divisions of a concept and actually support each part properly; this isn't sordid and is well-trodden ground by 5e's actual design. (Even if, as noted above, I think there are several classes that could do it better, like actually supporting Wizards who do research.)

A level 3 Battlemaster can dish out 12d8 + 36 temp hp = 90 temp hp. A life cleric using all slots on cure wounds and his channel divinity will heal = 116 hp.
Only if that Battlemaster has dumped one of their other important stats (Str, Dex, or Con) in order to have maximum Cha at character creation. The Cleric, meanwhile, should have 16 Wis regardless (since it's their casting modifier). You've (very slightly) under-valued the Cleric's healing, it should be 119. And...yeah, no joke, gonna take 119 much more precisely-targeted healing over 90 THP any day of the week, because at the end of the day, 90 THP (indeed, infinite THP) can't save your life if you're dying. 1 hit point of healing can.

And then if we don't look at, y'know, the most favorable possible level you could pick for the Battle Master, and instead look at some higher level, the comparison becomes rather more clear. Take 7th level, when the BM now has five superiority dice per rest, theoretically. 127.5 THP if you assume two short rests a day (which is high, based on Crawford's own words); with the same number of rests, the Cleric--just using CD--can heal 210 HP. The scaling is really bad for the BM, and the fact that it's THP makes it worse.

And that Charisma? Yeah, it's only going to help that one maneuver. Because the Battle Master (and the Fighter generally) gets nothing else that benefits from Cha. You don't even get Persuasion or Deception in-class; you have to get that from your Background (which is irrelevant to a discussion of what the class itself provides).

That's very Warlordy to me. And at this point what Warlord implementation could possibly compete with that at level 3?
At this point? Nothing, because there isn't one. But if allowed to make a different class? I guarantee you it could compete handily--because it wouldn't be handing out mere THP.

I'm pretty sure there's more than 4 now. I'm not up to date on all the manuevers that have been added though.
Those four are in the PHB. I didn't look at the later ones; doing so now, there's only one new "Warlord-like" option, which is....really really niche? Swap places with an adjacent ally (but you must have 5 feet of movement to do so), give one of you an AC buff. I would personally call it more of a Defender move, but since it is repositioning and can technically buff your ally (it's just...better to buff yourself unless you're SUPER worried about your ally getting hit, since you're presumptively putting yourself in harm's way) it has some arguable, vaguely-Warlord-like uses.

Unless you are going to make the Warlord a fake caster it doesn't work well to start with a full caster base.
On this, at least, we're in full agreement. The Valor Bard is not a Warlord; it is a full spellcaster with some minor fighting capacity and Inspiration dice. Strip out those spells, and all you have is "some minor fighting capacity and Inspiration dice," which...is very very far on the "starting" side of "starting idea." Hence why my concept--which uses the overall mechanical shape of the Warlock--is still stuck in pure-theory mode, because I haven't found a good replacement for Mystic Arcanum slots. But it's a damn sight more involved than "1. Take bard 2. Cut out its most prominent & powerful class feature 3. ???? 4. Profit Warlord!"

I don't buy that. A leader that warriors and a warrior that leaders are conceptually the same thing.
You may not buy it all you want, but for us, the two are EXTREMELY distinct things. Like, as different as night and day....or other differences you have repeatedly dismissed.

To give a different comparison: The Battle Master is, for me, "a Warlord" in the way that a person with engineering degrees is "a mathematician." Yes, the engineer needed to have a fair amount of math training, and could probably teach intro math courses. But she isn't a mathematician. And her colleague who has a pure mathematics degree, while completely capable of understanding the formulae and diagrams used in engineering, isn't an engineer and couldn't teach engineering courses. A Battle Master may choose to incorporate some effects, of reduced potency and flexibility, that are either the same as or similar to what a Warlord might do.

Under the current classes, if my concept is elite warrior that is a great leader I pick Fighter/Battlemaster and pick the appropriate manuevers and I'm both a top tier warrior and a top tier leader. Now suppose we created a warlord class with much better leader mechanics and minimal warrior mechanics. I no longer can play a class that is an elite warrior and a great leader. I must choose elite warrior and average leader or great leader and average warrior.
Then this is an ENORMOUS, potentially impossible gap between your position and ours.

Because, for me, that is a COMPLETELY inaccurate description of the choices available. For me, the choice described is a competent warrior (you aren't top-tier; that's Paladin, or Totem Barbarian if you want to tank) and an at utter, absolute best mediocre leader. I want something that is a mediocre warrior and a competent leader. As a result, I'm going to stop replying to posts here, because picking this specific point apart is going to be make or break for whether we can get any progress at all; the rest is pointless if we can't resolve this part.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Let me put it this way…

let’s say you have a typical 5 man band party. Each member contributes 20% of effort toward the party’s 100% power. Swap one of the member for a Warlord. That warlord only brings 10% of the effort themselces, but makes everybody else 5% stronger, effectively making the party at 110% power compared to the precious party. A lot of people wouldn’t even notice the effect until the warlord player is out sick and what is actually the same power as the precious party without a member (80%) suddenly feels like 70% actually. And if somebody else goes missing the part drops down by 25% and goes to 85% and nobody notice again.

unless you’re the warlord player and you see your friends suceeding all the time.

of course, that 110% ideal isn’t easy to reach. Playing a Warlord well isn’t as easy as a Champion, for exemple. Just like playing a caster perfectly isn’t easy. But as long as the party hovers around 100%, nobody’s gonna feel like you’re too OP or too weak.
I guess the silver lining is that you know what you want.

But implementing something like that would be a gamebreaker IMO.

FrogReaver

That makes it a dumb name.

Anyway, my Scholar would be a non-sneaky rogue
  • Hit Points: 1d8 per Scholar level
  • Proficiencies:
    • Armor: Light armor and shields
    • Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, light crossbows, and heavy crossbows
    • Tools: Any one artisan's tool
    • Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
    • Skills: Choose four from Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Medicine, Nature and Religion
It would get 2 expertise and be able to Help as a bonus action. At level 2, a scholar would get "Brain Points" and can spend them to do things like use an object, replace their Str or Dex save with an Int Save, reload their Initiative, deal bonus damage to a "flanked" foe, or add proficiency to an improvised action or weapon attack.

The warlord subclass would get martial weapons, medium weapons, and heavy armor. They could spend "Brain Points" to give allies attack and actions allowing for impromptu volleys and shield walls or give inspiration to add HP.

There would be an occulist, theologian, detective, and aristocrat subclasses that have more uses of "Brain Points"

At level 17, they invent an automatic rifle (arcane, divine,or mundane their choice).
Okay, so the concept you have in mind is adventuring scholar. That's at least a thing I can see in a D&D adventuring party. I'm just not sure why background/subclass wouldn't be enough to implement that. It's one of the few subclasses that I could have seen being universally applicable had 5e been designed that way. Though, maybe that answers why it can't be implemented as a subclass at this point - because classes do not get interchangeable subclasses

FrogReaver

Which probably needs to be done anyway but that is another issue.

But isn't that another Pro for making the Warlord a seperate class? Then it doesn't have to be compared to only Fighters -- it should compare well against all classes?
IMO. If the Warlord is a Martial Class it should be comparable to the other Martial Classes.

I mean the leader first / warlord prime is a leader / support concept that is martial. Shouldn't this leader / support class be comparable to the leader / support arcane class that is the Bard in terms of power and impact?
That would depend on where you view the upper bounds of what leadership is capable of. I like leadership abilities but I'm not sure that full leader in most settings should be a competitive option vs full warrior or full mage.

By making the Warlord a new class we don't have to be bound by the fighter and its flaws.
I get that but whatever you produce should still be roughly balanced with the fighter/barbarian/paladin/rogue/monk/ranger. So it's not like you are actually free from such 'flaws' even in this case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads