Unearthed Arcana Spells & Magic Tattoos: New Unearthed Arcana

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana called Spells & Magic Tattoos. "This document provides a magical miscellany: new spells and a new type of magic item, magic tattoos. Most of the spells focus on an alternative style of summoning: conjuring forth a spirit that assumes a physical form you customize to suit the situation."

Unknown.jpg

It sounds like the concept of summoned monster pet, and I like it. FLUMPH, I CHOOSE YOU!

I like the concept of PC with powers of "digievolution" to summon monster traits (natural armour and weapons...).

My suggestion for monster pets is allowing players to use a main PC and a sidesick/monster pet as a second PCs. The power balance wouldn't be broken if the distribuition of the XPs reward is like with an extra PC.

* Could the same game mechanic for the tattoos to be used for magic runes?

* Maybe I am too used to imagine D&D talismans, tattoos and runes like single-use magic item.

* Can tattoos be used with armors? And create magic tattoos with healing powers, or add natural armor?

* Don't you miss the lore of the vestige pact magic?

Weiley31

Legend
It sounds like the concept of summoned monster pet, and I like it. FLUMPH, I CHOOSE YOU!

I like the concept of PC with powers of "digievolution" to summon monster traits (natural armour and weapons...).

My suggestion for monster pets is allowing players to use a main PC and a sidesick/monster pet as a second PCs. The power balance wouldn't be broken if the distribuition of the XPs reward is like with an extra PC.

* Could the same game mechanic for the tattoos to be used for magic runes?

* Maybe I am too used to imagine D&D talismans, tattoos and runes like single-use magic item.

* Can tattoos be used with armors? And create magic tattoos with healing powers, or add natural armor?

* Don't you miss the lore of the vestige pact magic?
UA sidekick rules for hero pet pikachumon.

Kurotowa

Legend
Where's summon arboreal spirit?
Why can't rangers summon fey spirits?
Which face tattoo lets barbarians and fighters punch like Tyson?

Do you mean "beast with a climb speed" or "celestial from Arborea"? The land type Summon Bestial Spirit already has a climb speed and can easily be skinned as an ape or monkey, while Summon Celestial Spirit covers all the Upper Planes and can similarly be skinned as desired.

Because unlike beasts, fey aren't a default Ranger association. You could probably substitute it into the Fey Wanderer's spell list but there's a lot of Ranger types who it doesn't fit.

Eldritch Claw Tattoo. It makes you punch better and as an Uncommon tattoo it can fill half a limb or the scalp, so it can totally be a face tattoo.

R_J_K75

Legend
I haven't read the article but I gonna guess this is similar to the magical tattoos in the 2E Spellbound boxed set that the Red Wizards of Thay used. I don't remember if those spells were translated to later editions, think they were called Inscribe Magic Tattoo.

EDIT: I just read a little and skimmed the rest of the tattoo section. It looks like they are treated as magical items, and there is one that inscribes a spell into a tattoo like in Spellbound. Kind of cool I suppose.

Last edited:

werecorpse

Adventurer
I believe every tattoo has this clause in the Tattoo Attunement section: "If you have multiple magic tattoos, they count as a single magic item with regard to the number of magic items you can attune to." Which is why the section on area coverage is a key balance limitation, not a random flavor thing.
As someone who thinks the whole attunement limit thing of 5e is a reasonable idea badly done this idea of having a single attunement slot able to be used for multiple items with the limit being less the number of such items but based on the power (well rarity actually but I’m guessing they assigned rarity in an attempt to rate power) of the items is a step in the right direction

This is pure speculation, do these spells add to existing summon spells or replace them?

The time might have come, when the D&D team says: “No more Conjure Woodland Beings-and it’s 4 Sprites, (& their spells) for 1 hour”.

As for Magic Tattoos, I skimmed them, look fine, but after 5 versions of Magic Tattoos over 40 years of playing how about you just put rules for them in the bloody DMG to start with, and create something new.

Is their no actual creative staff for D&D, anymore? How much, Re-issue! Re-package! (to quote The Smiths), are we going to see?🤮

This week I got Wildemont, Arcana of the Ancients, and The Nightside- (not a 5e product), delivered. All are pretty interesting, and a fresh arrangement of classic D&D elements, to say the least.

I really want something original from the D&D team. I’m beginning to think, the team can’t do it! Prove me wrong D&D team, Please!

*Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track (and a tacky badge)*

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases