• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spells that lost popularity in 3.0/3.5

Destil

Explorer
Ilium said:
Slightly off-topic, but I came across a good house rule for Hold Person. Still allow a save every round, but if the target succeeds they are still Slowed for the remaining duration. Nice and flavorful, and a good compromise between "you're out of the combat" and "not worth casting."
In my game I've used the every round save to justify the spell's place in the enchantment school. If you fail the initial save each round you make a save to act just in that round: if you've been attacked by the caster or a preceived ally in the pervious round you gain a +2 bonus to save, but if you weren't you instead take a -4.

Ian the Mad

First Post
Lanefan said:
OK, next session I'm going to look for it in the 3.0 PH...again. But, I'll ask first: did its name change, and-or was it in some other 3.0 book than the PH (either one would explain why we missed it).

Lanefan
It's in the 3.0 PHB (at least the first printing one), page 202, between Fabricate and False Vision.

edit: and now I'm wondering how I missed previous posts saying the same thing. I need to get more sleep.

Vuron

First Post
Darklone said:
I disagree about Stinking Cloud. Caused a near TPK more than once (last time we only survived because my char wasn't close enough to the rest of the group... )

While 3.5e Stinking Cloud is potent 1e Stinking Cloud left the victim helpless which general meant you could slaughter foes affected by the spell. This pretty much translated to insta-win for the encounter.

Stalker0

Legend
Vuron said:
While 3.5e Stinking Cloud is potent 1e Stinking Cloud left the victim helpless which general meant you could slaughter foes affected by the spell. This pretty much translated to insta-win for the encounter.

As others have mentioned its due to a paradigm shift in magic between the editions. In 1e, magic was rare but completely deadly, if I a mage wanted to blow his spells, you were toast. In 3e, magic is more common but less powerful.

But stinking cloud is still a great spell in my book, we also had a near tpk due to it a few sessions ago.

Nyaricus

First Post
Lanefan said:
OK, next session I'm going to look for it in the 3.0 PH...again. But, I'll ask first: did its name change, and-or was it in some other 3.0 book than the PH (either one would explain why we missed it).

Lanefan
Well, other posters have said where it is, but considering that Faerun Drow (and likely MM Drow as well) have it as a spell-like ability in 3.0, it's in there somewhere.

cheers,
--N

Fishbone

First Post
3.5 Haste got a pretty infamous nerfing if you ask me. Its progressed from being the absolute shiznite by doubling attacks to being a solid no-brainer pick for the partial actions to being a utility spell only picked when there are a lot of characters that really want to full attack. Lots of people don't even bother with it when it was almost always picked, or at the very least seriously considered, for well over 20 years.

Stalker0

Legend
Fishbone said:
Lots of people don't even bother with it when it was almost always picked, or at the very least seriously considered, for well over 20 years.

You mean back when it aged you, and I believe there was system shock roll to see if it killed outright?

I think I like the new version better:)

Thurbane

First Post
Victim said:
It's still good. You just have to set things up so that someone is ready to the coup de grace immediately following the cleric so they never get the extra saves. Not wicked awesome like it was before, but decent.
True.

Still, when we first started playing 3E, and someone cast HP (without looking it up first), we were all amazed at A. the fact it only affects ONE target, and B. the whole save every round dealie...

Victim

First Post
Vuron said:

On the other hand, you couldn't really go into the cloud to slaughter the guys either, or screw up with the area since the effect was so nasty. When I messed up casting Sleep - note to self: don't assume that everything is 5 ft squares - we had some serious problems.

Fishbone said:
3.5 Haste got a pretty infamous nerfing if you ask me. Its progressed from being the absolute shiznite by doubling attacks to being a solid no-brainer pick for the partial actions to being a utility spell only picked when there are a lot of characters that really want to full attack. Lots of people don't even bother with it when it was almost always picked, or at the very least seriously considered, for well over 20 years.
Actually, when we switched from 3.0 to 3.5, haste became must cast. It adds 30 ft of movement to everyone in the party. That kind of mobility is always useful. The 3.0 version was a single target spell.

Remove ads