D&D 5E spells with attack rolls?

CapnZapp

Legend
Hello,

I'm playing a Wild Mage Sorcerer and would like to select spells with attack rolls (that I can get advantage on).

I mean spells where the attacker makes a melee or ranged attack roll, instead of the target making a saving throw, that is.

Is there a handy index somewhere where I can sort on "attack method" so to speak?

Paraxis

Explorer
Hello,

I'm playing a Wild Mage Sorcerer and would like to select spells with attack rolls (that I can get advantage on).

I mean spells where the attacker makes a melee or ranged attack roll, instead of the target making a saving throw, that is.

Is there a handy index somewhere where I can sort on "attack method" so to speak?

These are ranged spell attacks from the whole list, not all are sorcerer spells.

Chill Touch
Chromatic Orb
Eldritch Blast
Guiding Bolt
Melf's Acid Arrow
Ray of Enfeeblement
Ray of Frost
Ray of Sickness
Scorching Ray
Witch Bolt

These just have a spell attack as part of the spell. Again every spell that is not ranged including non sorcerer.

Bigby's Hand
Dispel Evil and Good
Inflict Wounds
Mordenkainen's Sword
Plane Shift
Produce Flame
Spiritual Weapon
Thorn Whip
Vampiric Touch

Here is a nice online spell index you can filter by class/level/school and a few other things this might help too, http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/

CapnZapp

Legend
These are ranged spell attacks from the whole list, not all are sorcerer spells.

Chill Touch
Chromatic Orb
Eldritch Blast
Guiding Bolt
Melf's Acid Arrow
Ray of Enfeeblement
Ray of Frost
Ray of Sickness
Scorching Ray
Witch Bolt
Thank you for your efforts, though these are disappointingly low level all of them.

Chill Touch, Ray of Frost are cantrips.
Chromatic Orb Ray of Sickness and Witch Bolt are level 1.
Eldritch Blast, Melf's Acid Arrow, Ray of Enfeeblement aren't Sorcerer spells at all.

Only Scorching Ray is a sorcerer attack spells higher than level 1... hardly something you can base a build on... hmm.

These just have a spell attack as part of the spell. Again every spell that is not ranged including non sorcerer.

Bigby's Hand
Dispel Evil and Good
Inflict Wounds
Mordenkainen's Sword
Plane Shift
Produce Flame
Spiritual Weapon
Thorn Whip
Vampiric Touch

Plane Shift is the only one on the sorcerer list. While it does qualify, it is a level 7 spell, and it denies you the enemy's loot.

Okay, so then I realize that the ability of Wild Mages to attain advantage on attack rolls is in practice useless, at least for now, before any splat books. There simply isn't any spells that use attack rolls a sorcerer can use.

Thanks anyway.

CapnZapp

Legend
How do you plan to get/maintain advantage?

1. Have your DM to read up on the sorcerer feature Tides of Chaos (page 103) and truly understand how it works.
2. Ask him or her how often he or she will "have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell". (To give you a hint of what you're looking for, three common answers will be "never", "sometimes", and "always")
3. If the answer is "always"*, have advantage on each and every attack roll you make.

At least, that was the plan. Until there is at least one sorcerer spell using a melee or ranged (preferably ranged) attack roll on every spell level between 1-5, I guess I will hold off this idea. But hey, you asked :)

*) if it isn't then you really should never choose the Wild Mage subclass. Getting advantage on attack rolls, ability checks and saves really is the only thing the Wild Mage has got going for him, and if you can't strive to get close to X+1 "advantageous rolls" a day where X = total number of non-cantrip spell slots you have, you aren't realizing the potential of this subclass.

And if you don't, I would argue the Wild Mage is the suckiest build there is, since it essentially gets nothing else.

Hope that gave you the gist of it! (Otherwise, please ask again)

plutocracy

Explorer
Consider level 2 Warlock, rest Sorc wild mage! Twinned agonizing blast or quickened scorching ray using higher spell slots for more rays + agonizing blast would work very well with advantage.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thank you for your efforts, though these are disappointingly low level all of them.

Chill Touch, Ray of Frost are cantrips.
Chromatic Orb Ray of Sickness and Witch Bolt are level 1.
Eldritch Blast, Melf's Acid Arrow, Ray of Enfeeblement aren't Sorcerer spells at all.

Only Scorching Ray is a sorcerer attack spells higher than level 1... hardly something you can base a build on... hmm.

Plane Shift is the only one on the sorcerer list. While it does qualify, it is a level 7 spell, and it denies you the enemy's loot.

Okay, so then I realize that the ability of Wild Mages to attain advantage on attack rolls is in practice useless, at least for now, before any splat books. There simply isn't any spells that use attack rolls a sorcerer can use.

Thanks anyway.

You are forgetting that in 5e most spells can be cast at a higher level spell slot, for an added benefit. For instance, Chromatic Orb starts at 3d8, but increase the level to 6th level and now it is doing 8d8.

Remove ads